Otisco Crappie

Sunday Tracy n I had friends and their son on board for some bass and tiger fishing. I couldnt seem to put us on much and after a nice afternoon i decided to head in. Their son Lucas wanted to fish more so I told him to fish right out of the boat at the dock. There is a decent crappie bite in the evening there because the bait shop dumps the dead minnows there every night. He picked away at bluegills, bass, perch, and got 6 crappie over 9 and 1 almost 12. They certainly werent big but we filetted a tasty snack! Gonna have to give it a better effort with minnows and see if we can get more of the bigger ones.

Sent from my N9500 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

post-151276-14036318338842_thumb.jpg

I was thinking small gulp, but ill try the powerbait, on a little dropshot hook weightless.  I have some brand new crappie jigs somewhere too.  I had him on a noodle, but it was set up with 20lb braid and 15lb seaguar leader,  great for walleye...overkill and then some for crappie!  

• 2 weeks later...

Well luke got another half dozen crappie off the dock last weekend.  We tried fatheads this week and they worked better than worms.  had to weed thru alot of throwbacks tho.  Still havent tried any artificials, and didnt work to hard at it, but fun nonetheless.  

Gave the crappies a try friday afternoon with my son cody. We got 10 with 12 fatheads, and the biggest was 13.5 inches. We released them for another day as we have plenty of walleye, and I like having a resident population under my dock for the kids to catch and eat. They seem to do well getting fed daily from the bait shop.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

That sort of kind of blows my mind......the image of fat crappies tuned in to the daily dinner bell from the local bait shop..... :smirk:  :o....  Any idea of the amount of  daily leftovers the shop feeds 'em? They must be cheap......!