Furious....great news!

Kuba

Let this be a lesson and a warning to all the individuals out there. Ones who are looking for a boat, or not.

I bought a boat from what i assumed a "respected member"of this board. I assumed having 2000+ posts under his belt and being a member here for quite few years would mean something. I guess not.

Boat was sold as "ready to fish". Upon arriving in Canada i took it to my "friendly" marina place where i get stuff done. Right away they said and showed me the shot bellows, i ended up replacing it along with a broken impeller, bearing cables spark plugs rotor points etc. 1500$. Contacted previous owner and he promised to pitch in 300$ towards the repair. Took the boat for a ride, it worked, never tried the supplied with the boat downriggers (3). Ride ended earlier because my five year old puked all over the floor(single parent here)and turned green. Next outing we fished for two hours and i noticed that one of the downriggers was working on and off.

Didnt bring the third one as we were runnin two dipsies. Well at the end of the few hour ride the rigger quit all together. Went home opened it, tried the motor by itself no go. Went out next time and the third downrigger quit. On the way to the launch (10km away) the fuel gauges stopped working. Have not worked since. Received phonecall from Bill at Shortwave Electronics here in Port Credit few mins ago, both of the downriggers are dead and as good as the f****ng canon balls that came with the boat. Dumb me, i even brought the guy some true polish sausage made by a polish butcher and polish dougnuts over the border. Never heard a response about that either. And......two months later, the money order didnt show up either. No surprise.

Semfer fi Ray.

Hey there

i'm from montreal

i bought stuff from members of this site and spoonpulers site

from canada and us members

never had a problem without seeing the stuff first

once had a problem but it was post office fault and ( legacy) fixed it right up

so yeah there always a slight chance ot something bad hapening

not all members are gentlemen but i think most are respectable person

i dealt with most 500$ stuff without seeing

but i would never buy thousound dollard boat without sea trial cmon

very sry about your deal going sour

life is a endless Learning curve

thefrenchman

If I were you, I would expect some money back from that guy or I would mention his name on this board...he'll pay. But also, I never would've bought without a test drive and good look over. Also if you bought the boat cheap...these things happen.

Kuba- I'm not sure what the equivalent is in Canada of Small Claims Court  but that might be an avenue if you have something like it.  Just not sure of the applicability across borders either....

Edited by Sk8man

A $300 survey can save you thousands!! Almost spent $16000 on a boat a year ago until I said I needed a survey then the guy stopped all contact with me. Later seen the boat selling for less than half the price due to rotten stringers. I could have been up the creek with rotten stringers!!

Left my house at 6am for work, finished work at 2pm, at 3 after lunch and a 15 min nap left for a four hour drive. Got there looked at it, picked it up assuming everything is right. Got raped at customs and got the boat seized because of lower value on the bill of sale. Paid 800$ to get it un-seized. Left at 2am got home at 4am. So far i havent had luck with it.

Sent from my Lenovo P780 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Boats are mechanical, they break, they cost money..... no matter how old they are, it's all part of the game. When I bought my current boat, the out drive blew up the second trip out. Stuff happens

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Boat= Break Out Another Thousand

Also NY is a caveat emptor state buyer beware!

If you bought it with a bill of sale that said as is, well all of us have bought stuff that sucks, its not about someone trying to hoodwink you from this site...

So be furious at yourself...

Sorry ya got a bad deal...

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Yup, the boat was "ready to fish", so i can be furious at my self :)

It's unfortunate. Sorry to hear. I too had a deal similar to above noted post by slow rolling. Had a good deal. Spent an entire day to to see it. I inspect it. Guy thought I was going to pay. I was setting up a surveyor to view boat and the seller got shady. Quick. A survey is worth its weight in gold... So to speak. I bought my boat from a reputable marine. 300 hours a new motor... Please. Two years later it blows. That motor had more like 10,000 hours. The rings were so bad it was a joke. But I will continue to keep putting money in it. Its all part of the game!

Last night I bough a jet ski. Cut price in half with guy if he wouldn't water test it. He wouldn't, so now its a gamble. I'm prepared. If it works cool. If not. No hard feelings.

Good luck with the rest of your season.

Nick

Sent from my XT907 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Nick's advice is excellent and so is the attitude underlying it....sometimes you have to take your lumps and move on but benefit from the "learning experience" where money is involved at ANY level or situation caution is advised no matter what the deal or seller.

I feel for ya Kuba...I also agree with many of the posts here that these deals are not always what they are cracked up to be.  I assume it was a great deal, otherwise you probably wouldn't have driven 4 hours and into another country to buy it.  Lots of boats for sale in Ontario otherwise.  I do thiink that the most relevant part of your story is that the seller agreed to pay you $300 and has renaged on his word.  Bad on him, whether he is a longtime member on this website or not. 

I bought a kicker for my boat this year...was going to spend somewhere around $1500 on a used one, probably about 4 to 8 years old...I then found a brand new one - private sale but never had been used, plastic still inside, not even oil put in it yet (was bought for a sailboat and then the sailboat deal fell through so it was never used).  I paid $2600 (about $800 less than comparable new one with taxes).  So I paid more than what I had figured on but avoided uncertainties of 7year old motors and what their history is.  I have had good and bad luck with used purchases - snowmobiles...etc., and sometimes that's all you can afford.  It really sucks though unexpected costs.  So the $1500 repair plus the $800 border payment would have given you $2300 more in your budget for the original purchase.  Hindsight is 20/20 though.

I have been impressed by the quality of many members posting on the site...many offering to take fellow anglers out for free, some willing to give away spare parts or articles to members looking for something...and lots of free advice.

Hmm wonder if their is 2 sides to a story?? Like :we discussed many options on prices Vs - equip included..you opted for boat, trailer,kicker,radio ,gps,... for 500.00 more i offered you 2 cannon mag 10 auto stop 1 reg mag 10 ,700.00 fish finder /gps W platnum fish chip map,x4 down speed and 840 down speed.It broke my heart to strip the rig as you requested...Before you showed up I went over trailer ,bought 2 new tires ,so you would get home with no problems (my choice and i paid for them tho the tires that were on the trailer would of made the trip)I also lubed and serviced the trailer ..I also regestered the trailer for 2014 so you could get home without Issue once again you said you would pay for that but i didnt push that issue either ..after you got here you decided you wanted the Big Jon double dypsy holders {2} so i gave them to you also tossed in a stainless steel kicker bracket because the one on the boat tho it worked gave me concern,I dropped 250.00 off our agreed price tho your money envelope was 500.00 short when i counted you did find the remaining 500.00 in another envelope, yes i gave ya 3 swivel cannon bases,and my older riggers to help you out tho you didnt want them and yes they worked 100 % when i removed them from the boat and they hung in my basement procteted from that time...I was concerned when i saw your post about how to power a rigger.BILL OF Sale..as requested nuff said...spark plug rotor cap points ? remember it started within 1/2 second after touching key,,does that happen from neglect or proper tuning ?? Yes the bellows were showing signs of weather checking but they didnt leak hello the boat is a 1987 27 yrs old I didnt say "showroom condition" igave you the check # Mailing invoice # ,mailed date,and requested you check the address on the bill of sale (yours) to make shure it was correct I even pm'd you with addy i mailed to to see if i made a mistake and followed up with credit union to made shure it hasnt been cashed by another party and as of 2 days ago it wasnt,,,so i gave ya 250.00 off ,replaced 2 tires at my expense 140.00 reg. 40.00 title cleared 20.00 mailed ya {or someone at your claimed address} 300.00,,,stainless bracket about 200.00,dual rod holders {used} 100.00 pair ...................well my finger is getting sore as stated I will cancel check mailed to you on june 2nd but if you gave me the wrong addy your paying the 20.00 cancel check fee ...and the next one will be for 280.00......Ps I told you to get a second opinion on the bellows and didnt the quality job on the bellows fail on your first trip out and you had to return to service center ,,,Im not trying to be cold here I helped and advised you and offered more help ,,,trust me i have owned pegasus for a long time and and know every rivet screw and quirk she had but your list has me wondering who is running her or working on it...

I will respond to his post once i get home, obviously there is some miscommunication here and some statements that are untrue. Driving now for next few hours.

when you are buying an old boat, you have to expect these type issues. When  You buy from an individual, you get a lower cost than a dealers markup. You do this with the "as is" risk.You pay more at a dealer to pay repair costs, cleaning etc  on the car/ boat before it gets put up for sale as well as a warranty. Despite all this things can go wrong. I do not know Ray but seems honest  in his posts. Working at a Ford dealership for 15 years I have seen a lot of these type issues.  The only way to avoid this type issue is puke up the 40k plus  for a new boat and still not a 100% safe bet.  Sorry you had an issue, boating and fishing is a pricey hobby ;)