Weekend on Erie

Sluggo / NY

Had a beautiful weekend on Erie. It may have been too nice.. at least for walleye fishing. We did OK, but it wasn't fast as furious. Ended up with 11 eyes, a couple of browns and kept a few small lakers for the smoker. Aside from a few hours on Sat.. the lake was virtually flat.

post-139575-0-19639900-1403643446_thumb.jpg

Two of the walleye were over thirty inches.. probably about ten's. the rest were all little six to eight pounders. I'll add some pics when my buddy sends them as most are on his camera. I gotta get back out there soon! Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

Great job Sluggo. Me and my boy's are headed out 7/3-7/7, camping at Blue Water Beach and fishing out of Barcelona. Been doing that run 2-3 times a year for last 6 years, with the exception of 1- 1 trip year and 1 missed year. What was your best depth?

Thanks and enjoy the rest of your season!

You can have all the 6-8#ers I will take all the 2-4#ers you get ! Lol the best eaters!

I agree that the smaller ones are best for deep or pan frying.. but if treated properly, there's nothing wrong with the bigguns!

Great job Sluggo. Me and my boy's are headed out 7/3-7/7, camping at Blue Water Beach and fishing out of Barcelona. Been doing that run 2-3 times a year for last 6 years, with the exception of 1- 1 trip year and 1 missed year. What was your best depth? Thanks and enjoy the rest of your season!

We launched out of Barcelona and fished mostly west.. between "red roof" and the PA line. Most of our fish came from mid-depth in 60 to 70 feet of water on Renosky's behind boards with either 4 colors of leadcore or snap-weights. Gave up on our favorite program.. harnesses behind dipsies.. because of the white bass. Got a couple off the downriggers, but as usual.. they produced the least. Good luck.. and pump my buddy Fred (Castaway Charters) for info if you see him. He's a good guy and is also at Blue Water. Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

Yes the biggest difference I notice between a 3 pounder and a 9 is....

The 9 has a lot more meat!

Just be sure to cut out the lateral line and all is good.

Edited by Locoman

Sluggo, Thanks for the info. We set up our camp in the open lot right across the driveway from Captain Fred's doorstep, small world! We always run leadcore and harnesses but agree the whities are a pain. Never had much luck with stick's, but run thundersticks not renosky's. Although the riggers are the lowest producer, I love popping the lure off and let it float up through the water column, cause sometimes...BAM!

On the riggers get some small dreamweaver spoons and put on small swivels and leader down to light Fluro. You will also get some browns and lakers too.

On the big Walleye fillets just slice the fillet in half to thin the thickness.  You get twice the fillets and they cook up better.  Part of the big fillets not "tasting" as good as smaller fish is how they cook up in oil.  Too thick of a fillet and becomes difficult to get the right flakiness. 

Spot on Gill-t! Filetted, trimmed, and cooked properly big walleye are just as good! Thick fried fish doesnt have as much breading/batter/fried flavor...we like it that way...but not for everyone.

Sent from my N9500 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Well ill chime in on the walleye eating conversation. Clean them quickly soak large fillets in ice water a day. Get everything off the skin side. Chunk the nine to ten pound eyes back strap in medallion size pieces cook hot and fast in butter and garlic, do not over cook. Take the tail piece and give it to a relative who only eats fish fry's at the local vfw and whom hasn't been eating the perch you caught ice fishing. Or fry them up for your nieces and nephews, they cover them in ketchup anyways.

No walleye is a bad tasting walleye, the only ones we through back our the ones you have to measure. I

I do keep some  bigger ones but prefer the smaller ones . I also trim off all the fat, dark bad tasting parts on all my fish.  Also found on the thicker filets I slice  them  in 1/2  length wise & they are as good as the smaller fish.  All tasty  morsels!! lol   Had some last night!

Just finished the last full week of work before our annual pilgrimage out to Barcelona. Looks like both my nephews will be out with us, so I'm really pumped up about that! Soooo, 3 more days of sweatin' it out next week, and then we'll hit the beach (Bluewater that is) mid day next Thursday. Long and thin or short and fat...Bring 'em on!