They are big, mean, and seemed to be in 8 to 18 foot of water last weekend tubes and drop shots seemed to be the ticket I took 6 th in the henchen marina lunker tournament and my buddy took 8th a 5lb 8 oz and a 5 lb 4 oz rocky shoals anything that looks like a goby or a crawfish shouldn't have too hard of a time finding smallmouth up there grab a lake map and either a gps or. Depth find and pick a shoal seen lots of charters trolling crank baits but that's not my style good luck!

They are big, mean, and seemed to be in 8 to 18 foot of water last weekend tubes and drop shots seemed to be the ticket I took 6 th in the henchen marina lunker tournament and my buddy took 8th a 5lb 8 oz and a 5 lb 4 oz rocky shoals anything that looks like a goby or a crawfish shouldn't have too hard of a time finding smallmouth up there grab a lake map and either a gps or. Depth find and pick a shoal seen lots of charters trolling crank baits but that's not my style good luck!

Thanks man.....heading up there this weekend.   Just want to get a little intel before getting on the water.  Any more info anyone has would be very appreciated.  Post trip will post results. 

Get inside 16 FOW or so and do a little looking and you shouldn't have any problem finding quality smallmouths. I might troll stick and crank baits till I locate them and then switch to drop shot or jigs. Stony, Gallo, Fox, off shore shoals, Chamount. Many options and always a chance in bonus walleyes.

Thanks for the info guys.  Lets keep the topic lively.  The lake offers some of the finest smallmouth fishing anywhere so please keep adding info.  Will post pics of results after the weekend.  I will detail specifically where I caught them after the weekend. 

Edited by stratos3317

Fished Galloo last weekend in 8-15fow, caught 21 bass and a nice 8lb walley trolling. Bite seemed to be 5-10 fow early morning and 10-15 as it got brighter, 1.8-2.0 knots, stick baits. Biggest was 5 lbs 3oz

Does anyone know the winning weight at the Henchens tourney?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Here to report back after fishing this past weekend for Bass:

Fished both Saturday and Sunday with both days yielding similiar results.  Saturday started off like a big farm pond.  I've never seen the Big O so calm.  It made the run easy and quick.  Started off fishing the Stony Creek area with mild results.  Caught 4 smallies all over 3.5 pounds biggest 4.5 on jigs and swimbaits6 to 15 fow.  Water temperature has warmed 10 degrees in that area since last weekend (6/22- 57 degrees).  Now, currently water temperature is in the sixties to lower seventies (6/29 - 67 degrees).  Changed locations to some off-shore shoals and really slammed the bass well on similiar baits and depth, biggest 5.4.  Bonus fish of the day was a 9.9 walleye caught on a char/white spinnerbait in 5 fow.  Saw others swimming around the same area that I thought were carp but they turned out to be eyes. 

Sunday the wind blew out of the southwest at 15-20 which made off-shore structure fishing a challenge.  We were able to wrestle the wind and manage a 5.1 which hit a swimbait dragged on the bottom.  The fish were more scattered on Sunday then Saturday which meant you had to jump from spot to spot before getting into better fish.  All in all great two days on the water. 

Edited by stratos3317

It sounds like you had a great time and some quality fish and a wonderful bonus a hog walleye, congrats to you on the walleye. I love to walleye fish but any small mouth over 3# pounds I consider a quality catch, got to love the power they have, pound for pound I believe they are an awesome fish to catch. Tight lines to you and have a great 4th of July!!!  :yes:  :yes:

I caught this bass around early May in sackets harbor steelhead fishing. What do you guys think he weighed? Caught him on a perch mimic minnow at the mouth of a creek.

3.5 - 4lbs maybe

Probably close to 4 pounds. Must have been a hell of a fight. Pound for pound they are the toughest fish out there. Great Catch!

Took ten minutes on a noodle rod. What a fight. He was almost 6 lbs on the scale. my biggest ever

Why4......Yes, like Oncebitten says get it several feet off the bottom. And don't be Twiceshy..... :lol: ......about using artificials. The gobies are like bait stealing sunnies.....they will even take a big live bait before many smallies can get to it. Try bigger artificials.....4-8 inch swimbaits, grubtails, hard lures (Rapalas or whatever)...the bigger the lure the closer to bottom u can fish it. The size may scare off many gobies, but not the smallies and 'eyes. Gobies are definitely aligned to the bottom; bigger gamefish will take all over the column.

Also, if you have gobies in your area....that means smallies aren't there ( at least for the time being )  I wouldn't move if your constantly feeling that small tap tap......think about what's going on ....that goby or gobies are revealing themselves ...and like the seal on top of the water for great whites ......will be easy pickings along with your bait.   Remember this time of the year smallies are schooling so those gobies better watch out.  Along with what the others said, get that bait up a little bit but don't be afraid to battle the gobies by using artificials ......you'll be surprised !