Copper Reels

Copper Set Ups

New to fishing Copper and Wire I'm looking for a reel large enough to hold 900' of backing along with 450' of Blood Run copper 45# and 20' of floral Carbon. Of course a Line Counter is necessary.

I don't want to spend 200$ so short money is always good. I'll even consider a used reel if anyone has spares.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Why do you need a line counter? You put out the entire 450' so you know how much is out there. You'll save money right there by not buying a line counter reel. I use Okuma Catalina 55 wide spool. I think a Penn 345 and a Tecota 800 will work as well. My Catalina isn't a levelwind but it's never been an issue on my boat.

Total Chaos 

I'm not sure you will find a line counter on a reel big enough to hold 450 of blood run. You can mark the copper every 100 with florescent paint or something alternate colors for indication. 45 lb super copper from blood run is .035 diameter. Most folks use 50 lb braid for backing but I have no trouble with 30 lb power pro at .011 diameter. You will have a slight advantage on reel space for the copper. Another alternative is their 32 lb at .030 diameter. The dive curves are very close for both and you can get 150 feet more copper on that reel that will only fit 450 without compromising backing and fear of spooling out!...true it's more line out to bring in but is much easier handling and reaches deeper than a 450 will at full deployment. The Solterra by Okuma is plenty big and fast, also the new Diawa seagate 60...6.1 to 1 gearing is a good choice 149 bucks bare, and the new Penn Squall 50LW 4.1 to 1 gearing but gobs of torque also 149 bucks bare.

If you are set with 45 lb blood run you will be a little tight on the Diawa but about 700 feet of 30 lb backing. By calculations, The 32 lb will go 600 feet and 900 backing very tight. In any case the 45 lb 450 ft. copper will need a reel with 30 lb. mono capacity specs of at least 450 yards...475 even better.

The Solterra will have no problem as it is like farm equipment. Large and built for coverage. There are others but to stay below 200 bucks bare reel these are content at that level and capable.

Mark

cent frum my notso smart fone

Another avenue if you are on a tight budget - get hold of a Penn 309 reel (one of the older RED ones not the newer black ones) on Ebay for $50. Get a power handle for it and it will improve the retrieval rate It is level wind and as long as it is used for just copper (and not ss stranded wire) the copper won't hurt the level wind mechanism (i.e.cut through it because it is brass). You should be able to get the 450 ft of copper and 900 ft of 50 lb. Power pro spectrum braid on it. Make sure you put some mono underneath the braid or it may slip on the spool. Yes the reel is pretty large and not as fancy as some others and you'll need a sturdy rod for it but the reel is not all that heavy for the capacity of it and has a decent drag (the 209 doesn't)and it will hold up to tough conditions over time. In terms of marking the copper - you can mark off sections every 50 ft by taking some red yarn and tying a tight knot clipping off excess and then using some super glue on it. By the way the level wind can be widened if needed by carefully using a screwdriver if you need to get swivels through etc.

Edited by Sk8man

1) you don't need a line counter

2) A high speed reel is a must   (your arms will thank you)

3) Check out the Okuma clarion 553LS. It is a 6.2:1  very affordable.

Good advice. It will not hold 900' of backing that you are looking for but its a great setup.

All good recommendations but the guy said he doesn't want to spend $200 either.  Sometimes I feel that although well intended the equipment expectations often expressed on the website don't always mesh well with the personal finances of many folks who frequent the site and who are not charter captains or wealthy recreational sport fishermen or they may just be folks that prefer food and clothing for their kids over the newest fancy equipment. This is not intended in any way to be a criticism of the above recommendations as they are solid but just a general observation that I feel needs airing. This sport is fast becoming a sport of the "haves and have nots" and it never used to be that way. I know there may be some harsh reactions to this comment but I think it needs to be said. I still clearly remember when I couldn't afford a boat or much of the fishing equipment and how it felt at the time.....and that was a long time ago. Getting the best equipment is wise and important...if it is affordable but having the best isn't a necessity always either.

Edited by Sk8man

500' of 45lb blood run and 500' of 50lb power pro, barely fits on a 800 tekota. When I say barely I mean copper has to be tight tight onto reel. Tried with 600' of backing first and had to start over. Clarion 553's are what I use on my 300 and 400 coppers. They will not hold as much as 800 tekota.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

First of all a HUGE THANK YOU For ALL THE REPLIES.

Also thanks to Sk8man, it's not that I don't want to spend the money for a new reel because I would in a heartbeat. But this will be my First time bringing up my own vessel to play on Ontario the week of August 16-24. We Chartered at trip last season with Capt Pat of Redline Charters and We had a blast. We also took notes, asked questions and just plan ole watched the process. Fishing the lake with our own boat will be new experience for us, if all goes well it may become a yearly event.

I have Zero need to run copper on my home turf here in NH, riggers and Leadcore do just fine since our salmon only run about 25-40 FOW. So for this season were going just stick with inexpensive, maybe next season up our game.

Most people on this site have given me the opportunity ask questions, buy used gear and just get general advice and for that I'm super grateful.

This is what I'm bring with my for our fishing trip:

27' Eastern with 225 Honda and 9.9 kicker. My boat is fully loaded with 4 riggers, 18' outriggers, X4d fish Hawks and Raymarine Multi screen plotter ff radar. Sorry auto pilot is broke...

8-8.6' downrigger rods with 20lb Power Pro mono

4-Wire Rods with Twilly Tips and Blood run 30lb wire with 25lb flouralcarbon leaders

2-10' 27lb LeadCore micro lines on Mouching Reels (cuz that's what we use up here)

Also in the tackle box I have 40 8"-11" flasher in various color patterns, meat rigs, and assortment of J-plugs and Michigan Stingers

I'm still collecting Spin Doctors right now I only have 8. 3 Green 1 chrome, 1 glow, 2 bullfrogs and 1 wonder Bread.

I've start to obtain flies from A-Tom-Mik both new and used mostly skirts only since I can build my own leaders much cheaper. I also have a few northern king flies and some squid flies from here on then ocean that may work.

I'm still looking for SS Rod holders, since my plastic Cabelas ones won't work well. I do have a few Downeast that may work.

Thanks again for all the help, if you see something missing that's essential on your boat please let me know.

Steve

KJ Louise

post-154638-14037101217016_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Just picked up a diawa seagate 60 and a penn squall 50l for a 450 and 550 copper respectively. both were reasonably priced(about 150 each). and plenty of space for lots of line. if your adamant about the extra backing, id say the squall 50, as it has the bigger capacity(but slower retrieve)

Sounds good. The only thing you might want to reconsider is using 30 lb Big Game or Blood Run Sea Flee line on the downriggers with a fluoro leader. The fleas can be pretty bad by then and I don't think I'd be using the lead core setups then for that reason as well. Just a suggestion.....sounds as though you've covered the bases pretty well :)

Might save your money this year if you are only fishing the last half of August (buy gas and flies instead). Much of the copper stays in the boat once kings start staging. 4 riggers and 4 dipsies can put a lot of scales in the boat. Your 2 lead cores with a 4 oz dive bomb can get you down to the same depth as the copper - run these off in-line boards. With 2 dipsies off the out riggers, 2 dipsies off gunnel mount rod holders (or off of rigger rod holders), 2 cores off boards, and 4 riggers, you will be a well-dressed man on the lake.

Copper can be a challenge for a new guy to learn. You will be taking on a very technical sport and your boat is already more capable than a lot of boats. You have a lot of learning to do in your first trip. The challenges of water depth, temps, speed and down depth, not to mention the idiosyncrasies of salmon will definitely keep you guessing for a week. Copper on your first outing can be a disaster.

IMO, a new guy should learn riggers and dipsies first as these are not only easier, but are the bread and butter of salmon fishing. Learn the long lines after you gain experience with trolling techniques, boat handling (in a crowd), and salmon habits. Copper can be extremely troublesome when working it close to the bottom. As August progresses, the fish move in closer and shallower. 450 copper can run about 100 to 110 feet if you trust the standard sink number of 22 feet per 100 feet at 2.2 mph. You may be working 80-100 foot depths which benches the 450. Even a 400 will bottom out in turns and if your speed gets too low. Copper can really mess up your day when combat-fishing staging fish. 

Just a thought or 2 for consideration.

That's a great point! Wire divers and riggers will take more bites a majority of the time.

But copper usually excels later in the morning when things start to slow down. Edited by GAMBLER