cabelas buffalo

I echo PD Buoy's statement and I've been a mail order customer since they opened in the 60's. It may be convenient for locals but it sucks for the rest of us who are now stuck with the sales tax crap.

opening day sales flyer, 5 things on sale in fishing, lol, and more bad news inside info says, be disappointed in trolling gear and supply, guess Gander will still be getting my business, at least they have to price match cabelas now

So now we will have Field and Stream ,Dicks and Gander Mountain in Henrietta. Bass Pro in Victor and Auburn and to top it of, Cabelas in Buffalo.

I am willing to bet that All Seasons in Mexico,NY. has more salmon gear and is cheaper than all those guys.

I buy my stuff from the little shops.  Atommik, Hallett Bait and tackle, Mitchels and Narby's.  The big box stores are horrible.  When Gander first opened, it was decent.  It fell apart after the first six months.  Will I take a ride just to see the store?  More than likely yes. 

Options are great if they drive prices down. My feeling is that the only bargains to be had will be in the "bins" that Cabelas is so famous for, and you'd need the luck of an Irishman to find something useful. I can't find an ad for the Cabelas Cheektowaga store grand opening, but there's another store that's opening in a Southern state at the end of the month, and their online ad (link at the Cabelas site) didn't blow me away. Maybe we'll see something in the Sunday paper, but I don't expect much.

Frankly, it's easier to order stuff on line than to drive up to an hour...that's $30 in fuel alone, back and forth...and the selection on line is almost infinite. Can I find John King's meat heads at Cabelas? What about BFuller spoons? Heck, Gander didn't even have a single monofilament or fluorocarbon that was over 30 lb test to use for leaders. I don't expect much better from Cabelas.

I guess if you just want to go shopping for the experience, it'd be okay. 

Cabelas makes it worth the trip to the store. Bring your smart phone. They match cheapest on line price on all products. Bargin cave is a real cave. They sell returns and discontinued products for pennys on the dollar. It took me eight hours to go through the store in maine. Same in ct, pa, wv, mi. Its a crack house for guys addicted to hunting and fishing.

I went to  Gander Mountain in Williamsport PA to buy a dual bank charger, a front seat pedestal for my boat and some various assorted equipment for trolling, like Dipsey snubbers, maybe some Tadpoles and Snapweights.  I left without anything because they didn't have anything.  The only thing even remotely related to trolling was a decent supply of Rapala cranks.  I figured the lack of trolling gear was because they were so far from big water but there can be no excuse for how poorly that store was stocked.

My eldest son will be attending university in Erie, starting this fall.  Does anyone know if the new Field and Stream there carries much boating or trolling gear?

By the way, only my second post.  Can anyone tell me why there's a line running through all of the text in my post? 

Edited by GANGGREEN

First trip to cabelas today and dropped $1550 haha, had VIP passes for the soft opening. It is pretty cool in there but the one I visited in vw was wayyy better, but it's still better then gander and dicks combined. I will say this, both the walleye selection and trout/salmon was a big let down.. I think they had about 20 flashers and maybe a dozen flies, I didn't see any good worm harnesses. They do have a lot of rods and terminal tackle . They are estimating 1500+ people there for the grand opening so be prepared for some long lines

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Big outlets generally SUCK . The small local shops are better stocked with the tackle we use and need and most times their prices are better . I like the one on one service and the working knowledge most of these small shops have to offer .

Edited by bigblue

I also will usually support the little tackle shops first when ever I can, but when you need an item that the little tackle store either can't get or will take longer to get then you can wait, then I go to the big box store.Cabela's was a little pricey on most items that I looked at yesterday afternoon, but they did have a very good selection of everything from fishing, hunting, camping, clothing etc..

I went today with friends Ed and Bob.  We got there at 1:30 fully expecting to find long lines and a very crowded store, but instead found a decent parking space, friendly employees, and a busy, but not overly crowded store.  I expected the store to be bigger and was disappointed in the narrow isles that 2 carts can't pass by each other.  There were no apparent special or sale items and unless you received a sale ad in the mail you had no idea what was on sale.  There were no ads in the store, but items in the ad did ring up at the sale price.  There were plenty of friendly employees to help you and answer questions and it was common to see 3 or 4 standing around talking to each other.  There is a little bit of everything in the store, but prices are higher or the same as many mom and pop stores, so Narbys got my tackle $ on the way home.  There is a Bargain Cave in the store, but it's small and most items are not returnable.  Might be nice if they had an area where you could open up a damaged box to insure what you were buying wasn't broken.  Crossbows seemed to be a hot item and there were men with beards and hats were buying them up.  All in all, I'm glad we went, but I don't think I'll be back anytime soon.

Shawn

Down here by Pittsburgh a Cabelas was built just across the border in WV.  At first, I loved it.  No more going to Dicks or Gander.  But over the past 5 years what I have noticed is that Cabelas selection as gradually widdled away.  They used to sell many good brands of gear, but gradually they have copied these other companies designs, and marketed their knock off products instead….often selling them for like $2 less than the original company's products.  In my book, that is bull ****.  Now when I go into a Cabelas, everything is "Cabelas" brand.  Sure they may have a small selection of MS Spoons, and then a massive selection of "Cabelas" knock off spoons.  Its like this with clothes, fishing rods, rifle scopes, etc…..I DONT WANT A Cabelas brand rod…I want an Okuma GLT !  Good luck finding it.  It really is sad. 

Last year, Dicks Sporting Goods opened up their version of "Cabelas" called Field and Stream.  F and S has ALL of the major brands.  Huge selection.  Since they opened, I won't be caught dead in Cabelas.  

I agree with prior posts.  Support your local tackle shops.  Don't get sucked into corporate marketing and glamour of a big store like Cabelas.  Customer service sucks.  Id rather pay $2 more for my Spindoctor and buy it from the guy at the local tackle shop….who actually is in tune with what is working out on the water.

I was there on Monday evening.  Cool to walk through, but not someplace I'll be spending a lot of time or money in.  I've spend many thousands of dollars at Cabela's over the years but there was nothing interesting enough at that store to make we want to deal with the traffic and crowds that will flood the place for at least the first couple months.  As far as lures for what we do, any of the local mom and pops have a much better selection than they did, at least initially.  Perhaps they might eventually tailor their inventory to the local scene, but I doubt it.

Tim

Edited by Tim Bromund

Down here by Pittsburgh a Cabelas was built just across the border in WV.  At first, I loved it.  No more going to Dicks or Gander.  But over the past 5 years what I have noticed is that Cabelas selection as gradually widdled away.  They used to sell many good brands of gear, but gradually they have copied these other companies designs, and marketed their knock off products instead….often selling them for like $2 less than the original company's products.  In my book, that is bull ****.  Now when I go into a Cabelas, everything is "Cabelas" brand.  Sure they may have a small selection of MS Spoons, and then a massive selection of "Cabelas" knock off spoons.  Its like this with clothes, fishing rods, rifle scopes, etc…..I DONT WANT A Cabelas brand rod…I want an Okuma GLT !  Good luck finding it.  It really is sad. 

Last year, Dicks Sporting Goods opened up their version of "Cabelas" called Field and Stream.  F and S has ALL of the major brands.  Huge selection.  Since they opened, I won't be caught dead in Cabelas.  

I agree with prior posts.  Support your local tackle shops.  Don't get sucked into corporate marketing and glamour of a big store like Cabelas.  Customer service sucks.  Id rather pay $2 more for my Spindoctor and buy it from the guy at the local tackle shop….who actually is in tune with what is working out on the water.

I hit the Field and Stream store in Erie shortly after it opened.  It seemed like a nice store but I didn't really have a ton of time to shop.  That said, they also make their own store brand (or more likely label some other manufacturer's products with their brand).  I found a nice Field and Stream brand spinning reel that seemed to be nice for the money.  I asked a representative who made Field and Stream brand rods and reels and at first he just looked at me like I had a third eye growing in the middle of my forehead.  After thinking about it for a second, he quizzically said, "Field and Stream".  I'm sure it was made by Okuma, Shakespeare or someone else.  My point is that F&S is doing the same thing that Cabelas and BPS have been doing.

I hit the Field and Stream store in Erie shortly after it opened.  It seemed like a nice store but I didn't really have a ton of time to shop.  That said, they also make their own store brand (or more likely label some other manufacturer's products with their brand).  I found a nice Field and Stream brand spinning reel that seemed to be nice for the money.  I asked a representative who made Field and Stream brand rods and reels and at first he just looked at me like I had a third eye growing in the middle of my forehead.  After thinking about it for a second, he quizzically said, "Field and Stream".  I'm sure it was made by Okuma, Shakespeare or someone else.  My point is that F&S is doing the same thing that Cabelas and BPS have been doing.

While I understand that Field and Stream also sells their own brand of products just like Cabelas does, Field and Stream also CONTINUES to carry a large selection of other brands as well.  Cabelas stores carry 90% Cabelas brand ****, with very little selection of other brands.  Thats one reason why I stopped going there.  I don't want to be a Cabelas billboard with their name plastered all over my ****.  That and the fact that they knock off other peoples products, outsource to china, and sell it for a few dollars less to undercut the original designer.  

Im going to give you an example.  The "Twili Tip" that we use on our dipsy diver rods.  Right now only "Twili" makes them.  As soon as Cabelas sees that product and that its used in the Great Lakes Region, they will begin to sell it.  After 6month, they will copy it, have it made in china, and sell it on the store shelf right next to the "Original Twili" for $1 cheaper.  and then 6mon after that, they won't even sell the original.  I have seen Cabelas do this with SOOOO many products, and I am fed up with it.  Just my opinion though.  TEHO

Edited by jigstick