Lake O

kwatchi

I

I'll get you some Bay Drum from : " Bottomfeeder seafood and transmission svc." .......$1.25 per lb.!

dE\/()///

Let's see.......26lbs. x 1.25=32.50......26 x 1.29=33.54..... :thinking: .....that's over $1 savings! Ship it, Devo!   :happy2:     :cash:!!!

John1947.....yeah they are there, but tossing anything in 15-25fow and nailing them regular with lite or ultralite tackle is way more fun than dropping down to 60feet or more and such with heavier terminal tackle with all the waiting......I'm just sayin'......But they have made an adjustment for whatever reason; so fisherfolk need to do likewise.....

Panfisher,

I tried sheepshead for the first time 2 years ago. I had read up on them and to your earlier point are closely related to fish that make excellent table fare.... Long story short, the meat is delicious. I have fried with egg wash and dipped in italian bread crumbs and parmesan cheese - very good. Also, cooked on grill in aluminum foil with butter, salt, pepper, capers, dill, and dry white wine- excellent.

Highly recommend this overlooked fish for both fight and table fare.

Attached is a pic of a 16# sheepshead I brought in on my perch rod. What a fight! Good luck. Tight lines.post-155409-14076185783321_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• 1 month later...

earltwitty....looks like a nice 4-5lber. Hard work for 1 fish though. Not at all like in the day when they were as easy to catch as their smaller sunny and crappie cousins! Way to get after it though. These fish are still present. Something tells me some diligent hard work and open mindedness to working new techniques, rather than the old ones that used to work so well (just about anything!), will unlock the secret to these lately hard to get smallies. Like also to know if anyone knows of, or just are, good deeper water scuba divers who can get down there to thoroughly, visually, verify the existence of the smallie populations in the Big O south shore. Maybe camera surveys. We know they are schooling, grouping "social" fish....not loners. Where there is one there have got to be many more around. We also know they are hardy and native. And I do not think they have been over-fished for any commercial reasons. When has anyone seen large amounts of black market bass fillets for sale. I know it happens occasionally, but not to the extent it would deplete them. I keep believing they have made lifestyle adjustments.......

earltwitty....looks like a nice 4-5lber. Hard work for 1 fish though. Not at all like in the day when they were as easy to catch as their smaller sunny and crappie cousins! Way to get after it though. These fish are still present. Something tells me some diligent hard work and open mindedness to working new techniques, rather than the old ones that used to work so well (just about anything!), will unlock the secret to these lately hard to get smallies. Like also to know if anyone knows of, or just are, good deeper water scuba divers who can get down there to thoroughly, visually, verify the existence of the smallie populations in the Big O south shore. Maybe camera surveys. We know they are schooling, grouping "social" fish....not loners. Where there is one there have got to be many more around. We also know they are hardy and native. And I do not think they have been over-fished for any commercial reasons. When has anyone seen large amounts of black market bass fillets for sale. I know it happens occasionally, but not to the extent it would deplete them. I keep believing they have made lifestyle adjustments.......

The dive team I talked to said the bass were deep(40 to 50 ) and around structure like wrecks.There were a few at dropoffs but most were deep.I think the few fish we spot shallow might be drum.I caught a nice one trolling for salmon the other night on a jplug.going out tomorrow morning as weather might be iffy for tuesday wensday also.

lately I have had luck trolling with leadcore.I have two rods now set up and one more to go.I use small shadraps or spoons.So far pretty effective infinding them also.I saw quit a few bass boats sunday.They blew right by me.The guy with the aircraft carrier,lol

tonight was very good for bass.I caught several while trolling for salmon .Tonight I anchored and fished with nightcrawelers set 2 feet from the bottom,some of the bass were 18 inchers.Also saw quit a few boats along the lakeshore in close.Must be that time when the bass go on their fall binge before winter.hey if you tired of T&S nows the time to catch the "little bears"indian name.

tonight was very good for bass.I caught several while trolling for salmon .Tonight I anchored and fished with nightcrawelers set 2 feet from the bottom,some of the bass were 18 inchers.Also saw quit a few boats along the lakeshore in close.Must be that time when the bass go on their fall binge before winter.hey if you tired of T&S nows the time to catch the "little bears"indian name.

john1947.....that's some very good news. NNnnniiiiiiicce! Your last two posts are very encouraging. New tactics to get to those smallies and not the gobies. Keep on experimenting. You might catch some surprise big walleye out there too.........

Edited by panfisher

went out last night and also this morning.The wind was pretty strong which made it hard to anchor having a big boat can be a disadvantage  especially with bass.I did mark alot of bass from 40 to 15 ft..Well from what I hear from others bass has been a lot better this year than last.I ended catching two nice rainbows on green glow j plugs of all lures.

The fish I have caught were very healthy and "strong".I hope they have a good winter and come back strong next year.

Ill have to give the worm harnesses a shot next year.

Hope next year I resolve my back injury which has cut a lot of my fishing ambition this year.

Fishing can be hard on your back.Especially if you spend a lot of time sitting .next year Im going to a taller captains chair with lumbar supports.No more reaching to set riggers either.And don't forget being careful lifting those big fish aboard,lol

• 2 weeks later...