newbie with limited time

My brother and i just tried trolling for salmon fishing last year for the first time. Our boat is near Georgian bay (wiarton area) so that is where we tried. No luck. We are told Lake Ontario is a much better place to learn. When is the best time this spring to think about going, keeping in mind i will only get a couple of chances to go. We are all set up with riggers and flashers, spoons, plugs.......

Welcome to the site cleiher, sounds like you got all the necessary gear & now all you need is the fish. Keep an eye on the "North Shore Reports" in the main index and it will give you a good idea where they're hitting. If you have any questions at all, don't hesitate to ask. You'll always find someone willing to help a newbie or an experienced angler. We all appreciate reading the "Fishing Reports" section and looking at the "Fishing Pictures" so don't hold back posting to either one. Good luck on the water this year & let's see how you do. ;)

cleiher, It all depends. I know that is not want you want to hear. To say to go the third week of June for instance would not be on my high recommendation list. One never knows obviously what type of weather you will have then as on a given day- On top of that, the lake is often at times in transition, so fishing on occasion can be tough esp, prior to the setting up into its' thermocline. Which once this happens ( I always guesstimate that is around the first of July) But early spring fishing say in April near the shore lines can be phenomenal for browns thru May depending again on the weather and its effect on the lake. Throw in occasional salmon as well. Now the month of May "typically" can be explosive off the Niagara River and to points west and East of there for lakers and salmon. That fishery then will work its way to the east as the latter part of spring progresses. So in general as they say go when you can for a bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work :) Now if you were to ask what month in lieu of what time this spring- given only one choice personally I would take the month of July probably later in the month. Some will say August and others may pick Sept as the salmon make their way back to their points of stocking.But the fishery of July (usually-off the Oak) is next to none I.M.O. On the right days when conditions are right, this being after the themocline sets up- and the ingredients are there- that being- down temp-baitfish- thus leading to the the predators. browns,kings and steelies can be had in the same day knowing how to approach this. That comes over time, but the best teacher is time spent on the water itself. As Musky mentioned, there are plenty on this site who are more than willing to share their insight. What it took many years for some to obtain a certain degree of knowledge of this fishery, thru trial and error, is now often many times faster for the newer generation coming into this with the use of the internet. And its wealth of knowledge that is available thru sites such as this and others.

That is exactly what i wanted to know, thanks. Being primarily a bass/pike/walley fisherman, i really don't know what the peak seasons are for salmon on Lake Ontario. If i understand correctly, later in the spring/summer is probably better then early. With exceptions to every rule, of course. I'll keep checking the fishing reports and try to narrow it down.

Cleiher-I would say yes that the fishery is more "stable" once the thermocline develops. Having said that, if you in fact you have a smaller boat say 16' perhaps, You may want to consider the near shore fishing for browns, meaning your target areas are those close to any outflows or warm water discharges. Thus you wouldn't have a long run from your point of origin.That being April-May- Now if you in fact have a larger vessel, where weather may not be as much as a concern ( not saying one shouldn't monitior the weather- Safety first) then yes I would target into the months of summer. Again, as always there are the exceptions. One being the Niagara bar area during the month of May. That area in and of itself can be and is explosive at times. Hope this helps- Duane