Made it out this am with some friends and got skunked.... Yuck.... Lake was calm with some heavy fog. Found a great scum line out around 200 fow, but barely a temp break on either side. Marked hooks and tons of bait but just couldn't connect. Well that's fishin I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

We did 3 steelhead on Saturday and when we were checked by the DEC on our way in, they said we did better than most. Sunday was our first skunk of the season. Fished out to 500 FOW and back in on Saturday with no defined breaks or consistent picture. Sunday we stayed inside of 200 FOW and marked a ton of bait with a few hooks hanging around. We ran meat rigs on the bottom in 100-120', 300' copper, 7 color core. 1 and 2 color SWR off riggers, sliders, wire divers, spoons of all colors, flashers and flies. Just could not get bit and we were not alone. Best catch I heard of was 4 for 5 on steel Saturday. I would not have fished this weekend if my great uncle wasn't in from Ohio to fish with me for the first time since the 90's. I warned him of the lousy fishing but he still wanted to go, and he had fun. Pay attention later in the week, if we get a SW wind for most of the week, the fishing should heat up 

Trying to understand the wind and it's affects on fishing better. Why will a SW wind be better suited for better fishing? Is it because it will push the warmer water out and allow for cold water to settle in providing a better 'climate' for the fish to come in? Out of Oswego we saw A LOT of bait fish out 100-200 fow but no hooks. I know the eastern basin is a different beast but didn't know if the same rule of thumb applied. Thanks for the insight.

The predominant direction of surface water movement on the west end of the lake is result of the Niagara River push west to east.  It's effects can be seen on the Modis satellite imagery with green Lake Erie water reaching to Oak Orchard and extending out to approx. 200' FOW.  The predominant down current (below the surface) is from the Northeast on the west end.  You can have a true shearing effect off Olcott where the upper layers are cranking West to East on a West or SW wind, and the down layers are moving in the exact opposite directions.  This is the reason it is super important to have a down and speed temp.  So typical summer time wind direction is SW or W.  Picture warm eutrophic water laden with all kinds of goodies to feed the foodweb, high in Oxygen content from Niagara Falls, high in phosphorus from the limestone cliffs flowing along the Niagara gorge and cool down current mixing with the upper layers.  A PEFECT SCENARIO to hold and grow trout and salmon.  Other than their home spawning grounds at Altmar, salmon have everything they need in Niagara county.  Enter an East wind.  A game changer.  Now not only is the down current moving from NE to SW but now the surface water from the wind is aiding the push.  Much of the Niagara effect gets cancelled as cold mid-lake water moves in.  As the water continues to roll from the east, upwells from the bottom layers get peeled up and move in.  This water should be low in Oxygen content as the basement layers usually are.  Think about your feeding cycle.  Would you feel like eating if you are just trying to breathe?  You won't move far to chase food and if you already have food in your stomach you probably are not going to want to eat more.  Everyone should pray to the great goddess of SW winds IMO.

Edited by Gill-T