Fishy Business at Keuka really rocks!

I seldom "plug" businesses but I do believe as many of you do that small businesses locally should receive our full support; especially in this day and age of Wally world and Dick's and Gander etc. so this is an exception. After fishing Keuka I stopped by Fishy Business today with my buddy JB235 and was greeted by the owner Gerry who was not only helpful but actually very knowledgeable about the full range of trolling topics, products and items of interest and is a real fisherman himself (unlike the folks found in the big stores). He stocks quality trolling gear (rods, reels, lines (including Blood Run Sea Flee and Flea Flicker) FLT spoons, the largest selection of Honey Bee lures I've ever seen, amny other lures etc. and a range of terminal tackle from stuff for kids and novices to the stuff rig fishermen look for but don't see too often and he can set you up to rig fish. Gerry spent a lot of time with us familiarizing us with his products very casually and without any pressure and his line of products are second to none for a sole owner small business. He stocks the kind of things I or any of the rest of us longtime fishermen would stock - not the crap found in the big stores with inflated prices....his prices seemed very reasonable and fair. If you are at or near Keuka or the campground, State park etc. you should check him out (closed on Tuesdays). He is right up the road from Keuka State Park on the left (white place with sign out front) a little way from the park entrance (3737 Pepper Road Tel: (607) 368-2306 or (315) 719-3673. I don't have any financial relationship or interest in this I just felt very impressed with it. Les

P.S. He also sells bait there and he's one of our LOU guys :)

Edited by Sk8man

Good report..

It it's nice to find a place with Finger Lakes Specific gear and knowledge..

Kinda reminds of Syd Kahn's place on Market Street in Corning..

It was one of the few places you could get whiffletrees...

Do any of you old farts remember whiffletrees ?

As Les said..this small business owner did spend quite a bit of time with us..sharing techniques as well as equipment used.he does have a great selection, of course geared towards the finger lakes, and  he is more than willing to set up and rig anything you need without breaking the bank..I am looking to dig out my other downrigger rods after remodelling my basement to have him put blood run flea line on them after todays BOUT on Keuka. It is nice to see the so called " old school small business" within reach.there are several small business listed on this site that I am sure are just as competent ..not affiliated with Fishy business..just a local fisher guy ..thanks to all for your support.

Edited by jb235

This lake had a lot of small fishing shops years ago. If you needed something you could find it right here. Penn Yan was the center for all the shops. If you needed lights to fish at night you could buy them from Bobs bait and tackle in Penn yan and he would show you how to use them. If you needed a victrola they were built here too. Those old timers were blacksmiths. That why back in the old days we develop thing by using our brains and applied it to fishing. We don’t have those kind of people today. Everybody is educated to go to a big box store and buy their fishing tackle from another country. Its good we have a few people trying to bring back the old way of doing business in the fishing community. Support them. We need more of them.

Yes I remember the Sutton whiffletrees for pulling those muti- spoon rigs, as the finger lake fishing people call them "meat rods" Haven't seen those for sale in a long time ,but still use them myself. Thank you to all of the people that have come to Fishy Business and purchased or just came to talk fishing with me.

Fishy

Fishy is familiar with the GLL ordering process as well. He knows the sizes, colors, and ordering codes we use. If you need 44's , 35's, kw's, Oakie Doakies, GL4's  etc, he is a good "go to man" to get them quickly. Glad to see he's getting this kind of attention! He's a good man to deal with, and he has been in the FLTA tournament schedule for years, so he knows his stuff.

+1 for Fishy for sure!