2003 125 Merc will not kick over

fbg14619

Just had boat in for complete service at end of last season. Last weekend

was fishing and starter started to act up up. It would start the boat and then stop.

Finally nothing. Turn key to start and get a click and that was it.  Tried a few more times

and starter started to chug  a few times and then stopped. Could not get the starter to

do anything. Turn the key and nothing but a click. Am sure it is not the battery. Power

trim will move engine up and down. Bought an aftermarket starter that fits the engine

and put that in had fingers crossed. Turned key and click nothing.  Anyone know where

I can take it to try to get it fixed. My dealer is talking about two weeks to get it in. I sure dont

want to go that long without the boat.  Will take it to where ever within 75 miles of Rochester.

If I can get it worked on and get back in the water. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Big is right, although Fran is great at Barrett's don't overlook the easy thing first. A cell gone bad in a battery won't be able to start with the cranking amps needed. You can bring it to autozone or similar place where they can load test it. If that's fine you'll have that ruled out at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

You have another battery? If you do hook that up and try it, being that small of a motor you would probably get away with jumper cables and you car.  I would also look into the starter solenoid.

Another possibility to check is the wire connection at the battery end and at the key end for corrosion It can act just that way but the fact that you have the power trim OK Frogger may be right..on my Optimax the battery has to be at least over half charge to even turn it over and they mentioned it when I bought the boat brand new. If it needs fixing Nick's suggestion is the way to go Fran Barrett is very knowledgeable and "the man" for Mercs. His stock of parts right there on hand is second to none in the state.

Edited by Sk8man

Thanks for all the help guys!   Have had my battery jumper charging all night and will try that and possibly test solenoid when I get home. In the meanwhile I am gonna to try to call Barretts to see if they can get me in if need be.  Called Barretts and they are talking about 6 weeks to get in there.. Geez.  

Edited by fbg14619

My old dock neighbor used to keep his merc on solar charge. His motor would never crank if it didn't have 12.4 at all times..

Always double check those connections at battery. If even tight or appear clean. Clean them again. No sense in throwing parts at it especially if it's so simple.

You said it just clicks. Is the starter engaging to the fly wheel by chance?

Sent from my XT907 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Simple coil check for 12 at hot side and make sure key 12 is at post followed with 12 to post to starter. If so, your problem lies between the two. Be sure not to use a test light as a bulb lights with .3v half the time.. You want to see a good reading at the above studs on coil and starter. Be sure to double check the new starter was grounded properly.

Check back with us. I don't own a merc outboard buy have had my hands in a few. I prefer the old model motors myself. Miss the smell of our 68 Larson with a 40 rude on her..

My 2008 did Exactly the same thing. I almost bought a new starter:) it ended up being corroded terminals at the battery and boat side. Wire brush took care of the problem. Worked like a champ for a year and a half till i sold it. Btw, my motor clicked etc... Trim worked. Check battery + connectors x2

Sent from my Lenovo P780 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by Kuba

My old dock neighbor used to keep his merc on solar charge. His motor would never crank if it didn't have 12.4 at all times..

Always double check those connections at battery. If even tight or appear clean. Clean them again. No sense in throwing parts at it especially if it's so simple.

You said it just clicks. Is the starter engaging to the fly wheel by chance?

No starter is not budging. Going to double check battery  by connecting fully charge battery jumper on it when I get home. If it is not that, I am told it is probably starter solenoid.  Called boat places and found one.   Have to try to troubleshoot it myself because boat places are all full. 3-6 weeks to get it looked at

And if it sat since last year without being disconnected and not on a battery tender, that would be why it went bad. Important to keep a battery charged at all times or it shortens the life.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thanks to each and all for suggestions but it was the solenoid. I replaced that and the  starter

did what it was supposed to do. I think I will keep the new starter on and be proactive because

the engine is a 2003 with lots of hours on it and to put the old one back on might be working with

borrowed time.  Will be back on the water this evening.

:):yes:

• 2 weeks later...

What a GREAT site LOU is, lots of helpful people willing to lend a suggestion to solve each others problems, that's what it's all about. :yes:

Well said PD Buoy, I've seen so many good people come out of the woodwork to help fellow fisherman and boaters. Like you said its what this site is all about!!!