Trailering on NYS Truway?

I am heading to Massachusetts in the morning to pick up my new boat! The issuse I have is the beam is 9' 11", do I need a special permit to travel on the thruway? I know 8' 6 is max so Im pretty sure I do but really cant find a true answer. If so can you get the permit in a days notice. Will be trying to call the dmv when they open but was hoping to hear from someone who has the experience of towing on the Truway.

Thanks Matt

Edited by JakeyBaby

I seldom see wide loads on the 90 in mass or ny. You might be better for two things on US 20. THE TOLL IS REDICULOUS!..they will gouge you for extra axels..even wheels! 6 wheelers are charged more than 4 on the same size pickup...then your height over 9 ft gets jacked for more! Check the thru way and mass pike for their "special" rules.

In most cases you will not be noticed on roads near the lake. Everyone is used to seeing big boats moving around the asphalt there. I took a 10 foot beam boat down from Watertown to Point Breeze with my pickup. No troubles. Not saying it was legal or recommend this to be done but unless you are stopped in a roadside inspection by DOT...you likely won't be bothered.

Check the toll costs and the toll road special rules on loads over 102 inches. Get the permit to be legal for peace of mind. Fuel, permit, tolls might be worth calling a drive away company like the ones that haul new campers from Indiana manufacturers looking for back haul opportunity.

cent frum my notso smart fone

I have the same issue with a 10' beam on my 27' Amberjack.  You are required to have a special use permit.  This is done at the NYSDOT not the NYSDMV.  There are forms to fill out requiring trailer info and load specifics.  You can find it all online but it is a little hard to understand at first.  I found that calling the DOT in Rochester (Jefferson Rd.) to be quite helpful.  They explained things well.  There is a minimum insurance required as well.  Some of the traveling requirements are flags on all 4 corners, oversize load banners on front & back, and a flashing yellow light on the tow vehicle.  It is a little intimidating at first but I have been doing it for about 4 years and now I renew by using the old form and put in new dates.  It used to cost me about $60-80 for a one month permit.  I now get a yearly permit for about $380.  There are also time and day restrictions.  This info is just approximate from memory, but should give you an idea. PM me is I can help further.

Yes we did make it home safely as far as not having any permits. It was a VERY long day, left yhr house at 3:30am and didnt get back untill 11pm! $450 in fuel and she sits in my drive way. Here are a few pics I have still along way from being completely ready to fish.

post-148213-14042155040581_thumb.jpgpost-148213-14042155233215_thumb.jpgpost-148213-14042155400961_thumb.jpgpost-148213-14042155861963_thumb.jpg

Edited by JakeyBaby

A true wide load is over ten foot wide. Your chances of getting stopped are slim to none from boston to buffalo. The only dot stop along the way is at the last toll both in ma. The thruway has many less that route 20. Nys gives truckers a pass on the thruway because of the toll. You should have no problem. Stick to the big road.