I'm looking for some help or advice here. The last time I went out, I marked several, large, fish coming up from the bottom, in 350 fow, streaking past my baits, and going back down. I must have marked 30+ fish doing this. I was running baits from 85' to 30' . I tried different depths, even ran one rigger at 180 for a while. Tried spoons, flies, different colors and leader lengths, changed boat speed. Nothing seemed to trigger these fish to bite. They must have been somewhat aggressive to come from 350' to 35', but I didn't have a single release.

Any advice on how to get these streaking fish to bite would be greatly appreciated.

It is baffling no doubt. ..seen it before. I assume you were running wires or junk lines too? Try a mupp set..One larger flashy spoon pinned 8 feet above a smaller spoon on the ball that is same pattern only darker in color on a 25 to 30 foot lead off ball.

Meat rig on Twinkie teaser has same effect only with smell. I would try to get rods in at first light, low light cover for salmon that are chilling deep gives them more confidence to feed. Try some glow spoons mupped on riggers like Moonshine carbon 14 and geezer. Top water has been warmer where most bait is but my guess is the feed has been at twilight early. Then chilling deep in low light water levels and metabolism is lower.

cent frum my notso smart fone

The first move I would make is tighten my leads off the ball to 10'. A mupped set-up could help with a mag spoon 8' above release with a short 10' set-back on the main. Could also be lakers that like to pull off bottom and give up after a short chase (lazy). If you suspect lakers you could put out a thin flutter spoon and troll down to 1.75-2 mph and see if you get bit. If it is kings....It might be something in your set-up is not running right. Hopefully you have a down and speed unit so you know you are running the right speed down below. Your spoons need to show the right triggering kick. Some days the fish are negative or neutral and there is nothing you can do about it. A savy driver is often the most important component to get a fish to commit. Sharp turns (crazy Ivans) or speeding up when a fish appears on the screen can help many times. Don't wait until the fish looks like it is slipping away....make your moves when the fish first appears behind your ball.

Streakers drive me crazy too. Neutral drops work occasionally, as does a junk line off the transom with a change up lure. Capt. Dan Keating's book has some good techniques to maximize strikes from negative fish coming into the spread. The underwater rigger cameras show how many fish are lookers and not takers.

I also like some sushi on my flies to seal the deal.

Sometimes throwing it into neutral and letting your lures "flutter" down a bit and then putting it in forward works....they will sometimes hit when the lures are sinking  or at the start up. Most fish will only expend as much energy as necessary when feeding but aggressive strikes may be something else again....salmon get curious and come for a look but they may have already fed earlier or at night especially under bright moonlight conditions so unless you happen to "luck out" with your lure coming close to them in the water triggering an instinctive aggressive lunge at it they just look and then go about their merry way leaving us perplexed and frustrated :)  Just my theory of it...the specific setup may be fine.

Edited by Sk8man

Think about how a salmon sees it's world around it.  They are hanging out down there one minute and a shadow passes overhead.  The fish cannot discriminate if the shadow came from a boat or a bait ball.  The fish rises expecting to see bait and here comes the movement of your rigger balls....quick chase before the fish realizes it is not a food item.  Hence the theory to make sure your bait is near the rigger ball.  You don't want the fish to get in front of your bait.

Gill is correct! If you see them on your screen they are near your weights not your lures. That's when a lot of times fish coming from deep will see larger items passing by overhead and go to them. Your lures are trailing behind and off the screen. That's when the mupp rig will get noticed with a big flashy wobble spoon on a 4 foot leader 6 to 8 feet above the ball. Non aggressively they will look at it and pass it up and drop down when the small faster action spoon gets the attention going past the shoulder of the fish. Smaller looks easier for the fish to attack. ..and its already there close by.

cent frum my notso smart fone

Dirty, I like to bump the throttle when they come up to the lure and it usually gets the fish to hit... You have a good set up of your spread when you get the streakers just entice them more with the speed up, or drop it in neutral for a second then continue.. Both work awesome. Woody

Sharp turns have produced best for us. It has the same effect as adjusting the throttle (outside turn lures speed up, inside lures slow down) but also adds lateral movement as well. However, some days regardless of what you do, if they have lockjaw, unless you have some dynamite you won't see those fish.  :$