Deans Cover - 6/27 - Stacker Question?

Well, made my first trip to Deans Cover.  A slow start to what was a beautiful morning after the fog cleared.  I only had about three and half hours of fishing time and lost probably a good hour working close to shore because I was new to the area and the fog was thick.

After the fog cleared I moved out to 60 - 80 FOW.  Setup was two riggers each with stacker running Michigan Stingers.  Ran spoons back 25 feet off the ball and all stackers were 5 feet long, 10 feet above the bottom spoon that was off the ball.  Marked a lot of fish from 20 to 50 feet down and also marked a lot of bait from top to bottom both north and south of the launch area.

Caught my first three salmon all off the stackers using a UV Gator spoon.  Why did all of the fish come of the stacker?  This is my first time using stackers.  After the third fish, I switched the spoons on the stacker.  The UV Gator went on the ball and I moved the UV Black Tuxedo up on the stacker.  Down we go to the same depth, 50 at the ball and around 40 on the stacker.  It was not 10 minutes and the stacker goes off for fish number four.  Again why only the stacker?

With only about 30 minutes left before I needed to head back in, I ran out a dipsey with a UV Purple Tuxedo on setting 3, 85 feet out and caught one more salmon before heading in for the day. 

All and all a good morning with not a lot of fish but I did get to try something new using the stackers and I did spend some time working a third rod using Torpedo Divers (Snapper and Shark).  Also before I forget no fleas yet even with the surface water temperature of 66 to 68 deg. 

If anyone has an idea about my above stacker question, I would greatly appreciate your input.  Thank you.

Wayne

When you say "stackers" I think you may be referring to "sliders" or "cheaters" (fixed or free moving up and down the line) usually stacking refers to using multiple downrigger rods on one or each downrigger.  As for the question...you never know for certain unless you are that particular fish :lol: but I suspect that you may have attracted with your main lures or perhaps even the weight on your and then the slider presented itself with more and /or erratic action appearing "injured" to the fish. Salmon and steelhead (rainbows too) are particularly fond of sliders for some reason and they often will come right into the prop wash for them even,

Edited by Sk8man

You were probably below the fish with your mainline lure.  Did you try setting your ball at 40 feet and your fixed lure at 30'?  Most fish are always looking up, and if you are below them, you will miss out on strikes.  Just a thought.  Thanks.

Your bottom rigs were too far off the ball. 10-15ft. At the most I run. Plus the fish were suspended early on in the morning. After about 9-10am I like to slide out to 100-120. We're just getting off the water now, we crushed em' this morning in 100-140FoW.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Lake Ontario United mobile app