Jigging for lake trout

So I just finally got the new (to me) boat out for a shake down run yesterday. Don't have anything set up yet, but need some suggestions. I'd like to try jigging for some lake trout on Canandaigua, and need some advice. Are we talking jigging with spoons, or jig heads and tubes? This is the first year of living up here that I finally have the time to get out and start learning the fishery up here. I'm going to be on here a lot soon as I have the downriggers mounted bugging you guys, but I need to try something more than perch fishing!

We use swimbaits, schadlicious and money minnows with half to 1 oz jig heads..Just drop um to the bottom and reel um back in in. Depending on the mood of the fish faster or slow or even pause in between retreives. Kast Master spoons, and Saltwater Diamond jigs also work well. Keuka Lake is 1 of the best for jigging lakers.

Zimm you'll have a blast, it's a lot of fun.  A few years back I wrote up some info about jigging and it should help you get started. http://cayugafisher.net/pages/resdex.php.   Personally I prefer jig heads and plastics and use them 80-90% of the time with spoons second.  Spoons can work great too but if you're on a rocky bottom the mussels are a pain.  Lots of guys on the FL section jig if you have more questions.   Like the Cowboy said drop them down and reel back in playing with your retrieve style and speed.  Don't spend much time jigging it on the bottom unless you have to. (If they aren't hitting on retrieve.)

Alec

Thanks Alec funny enough I read your article late last night! Great info! Being a saltwater guy, I have lots of buck tails and a few little Hopkins to play with and get me started.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The small Hopkins will work well especially the one with the little white single hook teaser fly attached to the main hook if you have one (the one with the red thread and white feathers). The plain small Hopkins works real well if you attach either the head or tail of a sawbelly to it. Make sure the hooks on the 1/2 to 1 1/4 oz bucktails (white is most often preferred by the lakers in my experience) are incredibly SHARP otherwise you'll get hits and fish "started" but will lose many. The white 4 inch "fluke tail" or tube plastics work well on the bucktails

Edited by Sk8man

I have played around with jigs and spoons in the heavier sizes - 1 1/2 to 2 ounce.  They work rather well.  They are somewhat easier to use, because you can feel the jig easier and therefore light taps will get detected.  They also show up better on the sonar.  Once I jigged with a guy from the Sander's board.  I with one ounce, he with 1 1/2.  He was outfishing me.  I figured out that with his heavier jig, he was getting on the bottom first and would get the first grab!  The 2 oz hopkins spoons are around, I am the king of buying cheap yard sale stuff.  The bigger jigs are not so good on Keuka, where the fish tend to run small.  Unless you are the headhunter sort, only wanting the trophies.

Pete Collin

www.pcforestry.com