NY Muskies Inc Chautauqua Tournament Results

The NY MI-69 Chautauqua Tournament is in the books. Mostly sunny, mid 80s day brought out 52 entrants from four states. 25 legal muskies (30+ inches) were registered. Results are as follows:

1st place with 38 points:

John Haffner of Blasdell NY (33 3/4, 35, 36, 37)

2nd place (tie) with 34 points:

Mike Marzo of Pittstown NJ (30, 30.5, 36, 41)

John Haffey of Rochester, NY (35.5, 36, 40)

The Big Fish pot went to Rick Joseph of Milton PA, who's first career musky registered at 43.5.

Big Thanks to member and local chapter representative Mike Sperry for hosting our Friday meeting at his Chautauqua Reel Outdoors store; also to member Bob Solley for coordinating the cookout and manning the grill and MI-22 member Mike Marzo for volunteering to man a second registration location.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

NitroMusky.....Not being a dedicated "musky fisherman", what is the reason for a certain material for a cloth when handling them? Is the idea of any type of cloth material when handling to avoid removal of the protective slime on the fish? And, if it's not too much, how is the points awarded determined; what's the formula...?  :wondering:

NitroMusky.....Not being a dedicated "musky fisherman", what is the reason for a certain material for a cloth when handling them? Is the idea of any type of cloth material when handling to avoid removal of the protective slime on the fish? And, if it's not too much, how is the points awarded determined; what's the formula...? :wondering:

it was my wise crack that prompted the question so i'll try to answer. The angler has a bass style lip lock on the muskie and is using a towel for protection. I have never seen this attempted and i said i hope the towel was kevlar as a joke. I don't know of anyone who uses any cloth to handle muskies. Cloth takes off slime and that's a no-no. Judging by nitromusky's response the guy got bit. I apologize to the guy for joking about his misfortune. On the other hand i would trade a few stitches for that fish any time. As for the point system,go to the nymusky69 website and read the open tournament rules. And when you get your first keep your hand out of it's mouth.

:lol:   "I see" said the blind man...... I guess it would be more for the guy's fingers than for the fish's skin.... :P    And handling a large (or even a small) esocidae as Mr.Joseph is, maybe this really was the lucky fisherman's first ......esox of any kind.....Really, though, that is one very nice musky. And, yes, handling any big fish can be an awkward test because of heft and slickness.....add in some sharp points and movement....it's not easy......."Hold it for the camera!"..... Nice work Rick..........And old man.....thanx  :yes:

Edited by panfisher

It was indeed his first musky. Im sure he'll get the hang of it.

4 Points are awarded for a 30 inch fish and it goes up by one point for each addt'l inch thereafter. So a 31 is 5 points etc. points for all catches are added together to determine total score.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app