Kings oh kings where are you.

I have a theory but can't seem to get any other opinions including the DEC. Here it is and don't hate its just a theory, with the winter being as long as it was and the amount of ice that covered the lake this past winter what are the odds that there was a massive die off of king salmon. Who would know cause they don't float when they die they sink as we know !!!!

I have a theory but can't seem to get any other opinions including the DEC. Here it is and don't hate its just a theory, with the winter being as long as it was and the amount of ice that covered the lake this past winter what are the odds that there was a massive die off of king salmon. Who would know cause they don't float when they die they sink as we know !!!!

I dont think so

Don't know if I buy the theory. At least not yet. We were in them pretty well out of Rochester about a month ago. If it continues like this, however...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Then where are they cause my friends on the northern side are having the same issues as us here. I know its a very big body of water and I have been out here for 30 years from chartering with gramps, then my uncle and now myself and none of us plus others have seen it this slow. Not to mention the amount of small skippers being caught which is some sign that the pen projects are working and then the amount of fisherman who cover this lake from east to west and north to south and we are all having similar issues.

i think they are all in the middle laughing at us, :rofl: ,i really think its the weather,ive seen some crazy currents out there and with the wind changing direction every week and the hot and cold temps dont help

,they have to be moving around

I was blasting em around the first week of June with some good size too. Perhaps a few days of west wind will get them going.  I just hope they show up by the Sodus Pro Am or its going to be a brown tournament.

Edited by Rippin'Line

More people should read Vince's post about too much bait. The man is spot on. I went offshore today before the winds and could not believe the bait. Went all the way back into the shallows and marked TONS of bait the entire way. Last year there seemed to be a lack of two year old kings out there. If that is the case, there will be very few three year olds this year. We will see. I hope things change because the waters in usually are getting a little crowded!

More people should read Vince's post about too much bait. The man is spot on. I went offshore today before the winds and could not believe the bait. Went all the way back into the shallows and marked TONS of bait the entire way.

I'm with you on the bait.  From 100 to 450 FOW as one bait ball went off of the sonar, the next showed up.  They aren't going hungry for sure.

Yah I have marked the bait also but have noticed very little to no fish around it either where as last year or any other year when you found a bait ball you did figure 8's around it cause that's where the fish were. I was marking bait from the surface down to 30' and then balls down 70-90 but no activity. Kind of why I had a post up last week cause I actually thought my electronics were goofy. Down on Seneca the bait is just coming in so I am sure the water temps are way behind. If anything its gonna make for one hell of a fall derby that's for sure.

I noticed a lot of bait below 120 feet over 300 fow but I never have my graph set to look below 150 feet, maybe they are down below 200?? We had a few nice kings streaking the rigging last weekend but couldn't get them to hit. Caught a nice alwive through the head in one bait all though!

Don't think the ice we has last winter is the cause of poor salmon fishing in June. Although Lake Ontario had the most ice coverage since 2003, ice coverage was still only 45%.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Don't think the ice we has last winter is the cause of poor salmon fishing in June. Although Lake Ontario had the most ice coverage since 2003, ice coverage was still only 45%.

The ice and constant east winds has a lot to do with the slow fishing on top of too much bait. The core lake temp got five degrees colder than years past. In turn, the lake warms slower. The east winds and lack of west/northwest winds did not allow the warm water to pile up on the south shore. Edited by GAMBLER

I have to think they moved offshore into the depths as well. I have read that nowadays it is not uncommon for them to be down 300 ft or deeper right near bottom. The new torpedo divers with weights are designed to go to those depths. Has anybody tried this?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Let the south side flip and set up again which it will do any day and the kings will be back. Summer LOC winner will be 30+. I will be happy when the lakers are back on the bottom where they belong.

I have to think they moved offshore into the depths as well. I have read that nowadays it is not uncommon for them to be down 300 ft or deeper right near bottom. The new torpedo divers with weights are designed to go to those depths. Has anybody tried this?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Yes - when we saw lots of thick marks out deep and down deep (250-350' down) I ran the Deep Diver from Torpedo twice so far on two different trips and no luck. First trip the thing was a cluster @#$%, but I figured it out last week but no takers...........yet.

Good luck,

Chris

Tim.....they spend a lot of the summer in those same waters (and water temps) as well!  I forget the actual factual statistic, but "good enough for the government statistics" are that 85% of Lake Ontario remains a constant 38 degrees year round.  I agree with you!