Kings oh kings where are you.

Then where are they cause my friends on the northern side are having the same issues as us here. I know its a very big body of water and I have been out here for 30 years from chartering with gramps, then my uncle and now myself and none of us plus others have seen it this slow. Not to mention the amount of small skippers being caught which is some sign that the pen projects are working and then the amount of fisherman who cover this lake from east to west and north to south and we are all having similar issues.

They are in the 50% of the lake, THAT NO ONE FISHES MUCH. Up here on Lake Ontario we have become spoiled, in the fact that we can usually catch all we want within a few miles of shore. From 10 miles off shore and beyond, out of any port on either side, not many people spend too much time fishing. This leaves around 3500 square miles of lake, that only has a few hours of fishing time per week in it! Those of us that do fish out there, might not have the time or any reason to make reports to all the other fishermen WHO WON'T SPEND THE GAS TO GO THERE AND LOOK ON THEIR OWN! 

I am not happy about having to spend an additional $100- $150 per trip to run my charters out so far.....My bottomline is taking a hit for sure.  But I sure am grateful that I don't run a business on the Atlantic, where the Captains would love to only have to run 20 miles every day! 

I am not catching limits of 25 lb. kings on every trip out there....in fact, I haven't boated an honest 20 lber all year , yet...18's and 19's, yes....12-15's, a plenty...no 20 pluses for the Waterwolf though...

Good thing for the 10-12 steelhead and coho we get on every day out there, they are saving our sss looking for the motherlode of mature kings. 

The wind changing every day all season isn't helping us much, what we find today, is gone tomorrow.... every day out of the gate is a brand new search.....

Lots of square miles out there without a boat in it.....you can't really call a friend, when all of them are staying together in no king zone, crying the blues about "where are the kings", as they beat up lake trout and browns in skinny water.....

That's ok though, we have already booked two new customers who were upset that they booked a SALMON charter, and went lake trout fishing, they would rather get skunked fishing for what they want, than hear excuses from their Captain about why he isn't going where they are.... 

They are in the 50% of the lake, THAT NO ONE FISHES MUCH. Up here on Lake Ontario we have become spoiled, in the fact that we can usually catch all we want within a few miles of shore. From 10 miles off shore and beyond, out of any port on either side, not many people spend too much time fishing. This leaves around 3500 square miles of lake, that only has a few hours of fishing time per week in it! Those of us that do fish out there, might not have the time or any reason to make reports to all the other fishermen WHO WON'T SPEND THE GAS TO GO THERE AND LOOK ON THEIR OWN! 

I am not happy about having to spend an additional $100- $150 per trip to run my charters out so far.....My bottomline is taking a hit for sure.  But I sure am grateful that I don't run a business on the Atlantic, where the Captains would love to only have to run 20 miles every day! 

I am not catching limits of 25 lb. kings on every trip out there....in fact, I haven't boated an honest 20 lber all year , yet...18's and 19's, yes....12-15's, a plenty...no 20 pluses for the Waterwolf though...

Good thing for the 10-12 steelhead and coho we get on every day out there, they are saving our sss looking for the motherlode of mature kings. 

The wind changing every day all season isn't helping us much, what we find today, is gone tomorrow.... every day out of the gate is a brand new search.....

Lots of square miles out there without a boat in it.....you can't really call a friend, when all of them are staying together in no king zone, crying the blues about "where are the kings", as they beat up lake trout and browns in skinny water.....

That's ok though, we have already booked two new customers who were upset that they booked a SALMON charter, and went lake trout fishing, they would rather get skunked fishing for what they want, than hear excuses from their Captain about why he isn't going where they are.... 

laying it down!!!!!!

Great... Now every Lake Ontario boat will be out in 600 -700 FOW this weekend clogging up my fishing areas :)

Just kidding!!! Out deep was great for us last weekend.

Great... Now every Lake Ontario boat will be out in 600 -700 FOW this weekend clogging up my fishing areas :)

Just kidding!!! Out deep was great for us last weekend.

No, they won't.

After using all of that gas in one trip, not very many return a second time!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Like I said, we are spoiled. 

I am not happy about having to spend an additional $100- $150 per trip to run my charters out so far.....My bottomline is taking a hit for sure. But I sure am grateful that I don't run a business on the Atlantic, where the Captains would love to only have to run 20 miles every day!

this has to be one of the best post I have ever got to read on here!!!! Hell even us finger lakes guys are making runs that are 60 miles round trip sometimes even twice a day to be on consistent fishing!!

Back in 2012 we had one of the Best seasons on record with both size and numbers of Kings! Correct? But I know at least on my boat the number of skips caught that season was the lowest ive ever seen. Last year the King fishing was pretty damn good also and still not a lot of skips were being caught. This year the total opposite is happening, no mature Kings to be found and a hole hell of a lot of skips. Back in 2012 I said how great the fishing is, BUT whats it going to be like in the next 2 years when all these skips that we are NOT catching are supposed to be matures..........??? I think the real question is where were all the little guys 2 years ago not where are all the Kings now! Just my thoughts. ..

Edited by JakeyBaby

Oh brother.....this thread going south in 3........2.........1........

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

lmao

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

lmao

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Oh brother.....this thread going south in 3........2.........1........

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

more like this thred will have people headed north!

wakka wakka

how many miles from mexico bay is 600 ft?!!

Almost 20 miles on a course of 280 degrees....from Little salmon river breakwall.  11 miles will barely get you 400 from there...

You don't need to go that far...just get off the browns in shore, and three times as far as the lake trout areas...AND GO SALMON FISHING.   :yawn:

Edited by Raaven

Can't be great every year. .

July 4th was the time I wpuld start back up from spring back in the stone age. Then it was Lakers & browns W/ an ocaccional king or steelhead. All the modern equipment we have these days & still bad reports. Yea, it must be to much bait. That has to be it.They will show up , give it time. All the better when they do . Seeing the skunk once in a while will make some on here appreciate the good days.

4 rod law anyone ?

Can't be great every year. .

July 4th was the time I wpuld start back up from spring back in the stone age. Then it was Lakers & browns W/ an ocaccional king or steelhead. All the modern equipment we have these days & still bad reports. Yea, it must be to much bait. That has to be it.They will show up , give it time. All the better when they do . Seeing the skunk once in a while will make some on here appreciate the good days.

4 rod law anyone ?

I'm already running a 12-14 rod spread!

I'm lucky to connect with more than 4 kings a day....The best day in the last month of charters every day, we had 9 kings. Most days we boat 1-4 though. 

It's a good thing we have been catching Steelhead and cohos.  Even they come and go every day as well....There has been nothing consistent all season except, if you fish for kings, you will find some. 

If you fish for browns, there won't be many kings caught.

Dragging bottom really slow with cowbells? If you are, you are NOT targeting king salmon! 

I'm already running a 12-14 rod spread!

I'm lucky to connect with more than 4 kings a day....The best day in the last month of charters every day, we had 9 kings. Most days we boat 1-4 though. 

It's a good thing we have been catching Steelhead and cohos.  Even they come and go every day as well....There has been nothing consistent all season except, if you fish for kings, you will find some. 

If you fish for browns, there won't be many kings caught.

Dragging bottom really slow with cowbells? If you are, you are NOT targeting king salmon! 

If you NY guys get a chance, while you're waiting for the kings to show up, try a trip to Lake Erie for some walleye. Don't know about Penn. and NY, but there's trophy fish from Kelly's Island to Conneaut in Ohio, and lots of fish within a mile or two of shore. Guys are catching them trolling with reef runners, spoons or night crawler harnesses, or drifting and bottom bouncing wtih weight-forward spinners. Granted, they're not much fun to catch compared to salmon, but man, they eat good. I'll be up to Oak Orchard for my annual salmon trip the last week of July. Hope they show up by then!

- Cast Party

We just fished 3 days out of Olcott and could only manage 4 skippys. Tons and tons of bait. Huge bait balls. Fish were just sitting behind them. Hope they show up for the tail end of July.

Sent from my XT1058 using Lake Ontario United mobile app