New boat decision

madman1

I have been doing some boat shopping on the jersey shore for a place I have on the water, I want something I can go off shore with and troll for the big boys. Some of the boats I have been looking at are Sea born 23' with a 250 Suzuki this is an open center console WA for $49,000. A sea fox 23' WA with a cuddy and a 200 Yama for $55,000 or a 2006 Grady 232 Gulf Stream with twin 150 Yama's and electronics with a windlass anchor for $46,000 the new boats would need bottom paint @ $32 a foot and electronic packages for around $1,600. Anyone have some insight they would like to share?

Just this past spring I was shopping as well. I searched from Jersey coast all the way to Ohio before finally settling on my current boat. I ended up buying a Sea Fox Trophy 2509, which is a 25' walk around with twin outboards that I had upgraded from the 150's that were on it to Etec 200 HO's. I purchased the electronics from the dealer and had him install them while he had it then installed all my own equipment as far as the riggers and planers etc. I love it and so does the family. I looked at Grady's and they were older and almost settled on one before this one popped up which was a steal. I thought I would have issues landing fish because of the twins but its not that bad cause we can step on the at form and net from there. When you see the right boat you will know.

Take a look at the Boston Whaler Outrage if you can find one...safest boat on the water....and going offshore is not a problem

Yeah I would be paying cash for it, I think the evinrude is American made and the Yama might be assembled in the US the Suzi is a rice burner but looking at reviews might be the least dependable. I really felt comfortable in the Grady and thought some fellow Lady O trollers would agree.

I looked long and hard at replacing my '86 Sailfish with a 2003-2006 Gulfstream this past year, specifically targeting a pair of 150 Yami's... great boat, the other two options have no comparison and the $46k pricetag is very good on the Gulfstream. In the end, I determined that the bump up in age was not worth the pricetag for me and I really did not like the bracket on the Gulfstream hanging so far back for netting fish, but most OB designed newer model boats in that size range have gone that way now. Pay close attention to below decks on an ocean boat... chances are this one was trailered which allows for easier cleaning of salt, but I found some pretty disturbing things from Saltwater in even 8 year old boats... regardless, be prepared to at least re-terminate all wire ends throughout the boat, possibly replacing the washdown and bilge pumps and giving her some much needed TLC to get rid of as much saltwater residue EVERYWHERE as you can. Also, you will likely want to plan on dropping both lower units, putting in new impellers and giving them a good clean bill of health. Arrange a sea trial... you want to be there at cold start for the engines... give them a good work out... idle both down for a period of time to check them for trolling rpm ability. The Yami 150's are pretty much bullet proof workhorses... there is some significant scheduled maintenance after 500 hours on four strokes with the timing belts, so ask about that and of course arrange for a formal survey.

Hans has some great information there.  As a 2 time Grady owner.  I would go with the Grady.  If you every go to sell the Seafox or Seaborn you will probably take a big hit in the re-sale.  I brought my Grady White Marlin in from Boston 5 years ago.  I did replace the impellers right off the bat but other that some bad gas that wreaked havok with the fuel filters and pumps on the engines the boat has been great.  Wish it had 4 strokes but that's another story....  Good luck with what you decide but just some food for thought.

John

Upgrady is right about saltwater boats in that wiring is a constant focus of your attention. Did alot of rewiring on mine this past spring. Need to buy quality wire and terminals when redoing this type of work.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United