Dumb Question

I have been on the board almost 2 years. i read where people talk about where they come from to fish the big O.

i get a sense that there are an awful lot of fisherman from a distance away coming to fish quite often, Am i right?

Last year i fished it for the first time on a charter. i live 200 plus miles away and thought i was crazy. i caught so many fish

i couldnt beleive it. Now its like i should be there as often as possible

U wana catch fish or not? Thats the Reel ???? Im lucky enough to live 2 miles from port, and that's the only thing that keeps me in NY!

Edited by JakeyBaby

I travel  from Hooksett NH  6 hours  and  I like to go for 2 weeks at a time  it  helps  offset   the gas costs going for 2 weeks  Im on my way for 2 more on July 19th .   I would rather  fis for 4-6 weeks  a year   atr the big  O  than the whole season in NH    the  big O is  world class fishing   not all that far away.

I also have friends from England who come over every year to fish here. They say there is nothing like it except Alaska. If you really want to see where people come from stop by the Salmon River when the run hits in the fall. There are dozens of out of state plates there daily.

Definitely a major reason for living here in NYS but it is is also something to really think about when we local yokels complain about traveling an hour or so to get to the launch. Where else can you have world class fishing on your doorstep? Can't take anything for granted....we are truly lucky. My hat is off to those of you who travel such distances because it says a lot for your love of the sport and perseverance. Best of luck to all of you this season.

Edited by Sk8man

Its in my back yard practicaly.....I used to go on charters...but find it more of a challenge on your own boat.  Pick your own colors...rig your own lines.....Just wish the charter boats would be more considerate to small boats that are out on the 29 line....Ive been waved to many times on purpose.....Kinda like they are saying you don't belong...

I am almost on Cape Cod and that is were my dad lives. It is a nine hour drive to the Niagara Bar where we fish every May (over 500 miles). I also fish Fair Haven and Mexico Bay several times a year.

Edited by Richard

I travel from the Mason-Dixon line. Takes about 8 hours to bring the green Sportcraft 252 the nearly 400 miles but when she is in the slip the trip is down to just a little over 6 hours. We'll be bringing her up in just 16 more days, but who's counting?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm.

I'm in Vermont about 4 1\2 hours from the dock in Mexico Bay. My wife and I were making the trip almost every weekend from mid April to 2 weeks before Labor Day when we take our vacation there. Last year and this year life had gotten in the way but starting this weekend we hope to not miss a weekend until September. Worth every minute of the driving.

Sent from my VS930 4G using Lake Ontario United mobile app

My buddies and I travel 665 miles (one way) to enjoy Lake Ontario.  What started out as a "one week a year" adventure has

turned into 4 or 5 trips a summer.  Sure, a ten and a half hour drive (12 towing a boat), can be painful, but, it's worth it. We're

not even home from one trip and we're planning for the next.

When folks at home ask me why I go to Lake Ontario to fish when Maine has so many lakes, rivers, and streams, I explain that

"in Maine we measure a good fish in inches, in New York we do it in pounds !"

This thread is awesome.......Great to hear from all of the folks who commute to the region for the wonderful fishing we have here in NY....(and especially the Big O)......even folks from nearby Lake Erie!!  :yes:   :yes:   :yes:     It is notable that both NYS and the country of Canada have worked to bring Lake Ontario to its current high value fishing stature. Thank God the fish are not politically aware; they just live here.... 8)

Edited by panfisher

Like Matt Lake Ontario fishing is the only reason I even want to live in NY....plus I don't want to move from my daughter. Saying that I'm lucky As hell to live 5 minutes from sandy creek

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Lake Ontario is not the only reason to stay here. The fishing opportunities this area offers is what keeps me here. Lake Ontario, Lake Erie, the finger lakes and tons of rivers and streams. From sheepshead to salmon, the options are endless.

• 2 weeks later...