600 ft copper reel

You won't get 600' of 45lb blood run on the 60 series Seagate. I tried to get 500' and fell short 20'. And that's with only 500' of 50lb PP backing. If you're dead set on having a 600' copper then you'll likely have to jump down to the 32lb copper and even then you may not be able to get to 600' spooled with a respectable amount of backing.

Edited by FleetTracker

thanks for the help, went to blood runs web site and checked the charts they published, seems about the only reel that will do the job is a okuma solterra, still it has only a 4 to 1 gear ratio, I wanted something faster. then I called tunas reel repair and spoke to paul, he said he would check to see if there was anything else available. ...thanks a lot guys good fishing!

Sent from my SCH-i705 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Just got 1000 ft 32 and 1000 feet 45 blood run. Compared side by side on same size spools. 600 of 32 lb going on a seagate 60 with 900 ft. 30 lb power pro. It will reach 105 to 115 foot depth variables involved. The reel is quick and the 32 is a nice supple wire very friendly to use. You can see it is a smooth player off and on the reel just by looking at it.

450 45 lb. is going on another seagate 60.

Whatever reel you choose it will need a minimum of 475 yards of 30 lb mono specs to fit that 45 lb copper.

Mark

cent frum my notso smart fone

Edited by skipper19

Just finished the new Diawa 60 LW with 900 ft of 30 lb power pro. 600 ft of blood run 32 lb. It fits perfectly! Used Power Pro hollow ace 80 lb for knot less splices backing to copper and copper to flouro.

You can find the amount of backing and copper for any given reel you want to use.

Here is the formula

You have to know only 1 spec for the reel. You must find the amount of 30 lb mono that will fit that reel. Most have it on the reel some place or look it up.

You essentially convert linear measure into volume of the reel spool. You need to have access to data on line diameter. Backing and copper and 30 lb. Mono.

I've done the data gathering on the components I have used so to make it simple for example of how to do it!

30 lb mono is .022 thousands

30 lb power pro is .011 thousands

32 lb blood run is .030 thousands.

Most of us would like to have 900 feet of room for salmon to run and enough to reach the water after paying out to a board or outriggers. That is your constant base to go from. You can use less backing if preferred but it's too short in the grand scheme of things.

So you find the specs first in the reel. This reel shows 450 yards 30 lb mono. How many cubic inches volume is that? Conversion requires inches linear to cubic inch volume.

450 × 36 = 16200 inches on that reel.

1 cubic inch contains how many linear inches of .022 30lb mono

1 ÷ .022 = 45.45 squared

45.45 × 45.45 = 2065.7 linear inches in 1 cubic inch.

16200 ÷ 2065.7 = 7.84

This reel has a volume capacity of 7.84 cubic inches

That is your constant volume base for this reel. Another reel works the same just get the linear yard capacity of 30 lb mono of it and use the same formula.

Yard capacity of 30lb. times 36 equals inches capacity

1 divided by diameter of

30lb line (.022) squared equals cubic inch capacity of that reel. Now you can enter data you want to change which is the diameter of the line you want to use.

1÷.011= 90.9 × 90.9 (squared) = 8262.8

Inches of power pro 30lb in one cu. In.

8262.8 ÷12 = 688.5 feet in one cu. In.

You want 900 feet so..

900÷688.5= 1.30 cu. In for backing.

7.84 minus 1.30 leaves 6.54 cu in for copper.

Same formula

1 ÷ .030 squared = 1110.8

1110.8 ÷ 12 = 92.5 feet of copper in a cu in.

92.5 × 6.5 = 601.2 feet of copper that will fit this reel.

The .04 left off in this calculation is for the leader.

Reel capacity conversion 7.84 cu in

Linear to cu in. Conversion for lines used

1÷.011 squared is linear inches of power pro 30 lb. in a cubic inch.

Same Formula For COPPER Only USE .030 In Place of .011

Simple

(475×36) ÷ (1÷.022 squared) = reel capacity cubic inches.

Next..backing

1 ÷ line diameter squared = linear inches in a cubic inch.

Next

How many feet of backing in a cubic inch. Divide above result by 12.

Now you can result up or down in cubic inch required by dividing your predetermined amount of backing in feet by the answer above.

Next the 7.84 minus 1.30 is the cubic inch you HAVE left for copper.

Same formula for cu in of copper as the backing. Then multiply it by the cu inches left for copper equals 601.25 feet you can put on the reel.

Done...it works try it...pm me if you don't understand some of it. This works for all reels provided you have specs for the reel you are going to use in yardage of mono.

If you're willing to forego a levelwind, You can fit 500' of 60 lb with lots of backing on a Penn Senator 115, so 600 of 45 would have even more backing.

You can't only consider a reels ratio, that can be very misleading. What you should consider is the retrieve rate in inches per turn of the handle. A large-spool diameter reel with a slower ratio can retrieve more line per turn of the handle than a mid-diameter reel with a faster gear ratio.

Also a large-spool diameter has another advantage over the mid size reel. The diameter of a larger reel reduces less than the mid size reel when the same amount of line is removed. So even if both reels retrieve, for example 35" per turn when fully loaded, the larger spool diameter will retrieve more line per turn when the copper is deployed and then the backing is sent out on a planer. In this scenario a large reel like a senator will retrieve a lot more line per turn of the handle than something like a Solterra when your comparing a stuffed Solterra with a comparable fill on the senator.

Another factor to consider is the effect to the drag by reducing the spool diameter as line is deployed. On all reels, with the removal of line, and the corresponding reduction of spool diameter, the lever arm effect changes and the effort to remove line vs the drag increases. The smaller the diameter goes, the more the drag increases. So a large reel will suffer less of a drag change than a mid size reel? I find that I can set my drag on a senator and not have to adjust it, but the Solterra I need pull the lever back when the line is deployed and advance it when the reel is about half full. Again the advantage goes to the larger reel.

On the other side of the coin, a reel like a senator loaded with a long heavy copper is a LOT of weight to hold. Advantage mid size reel.

I'm speaking from experience, I have both the reels I'm talking about. If you really want to go extra-long for stealth or way deep with heavier coppers, give the senator some consideration. Both are excellent reels and both will hold the line you want to run. At 600' of 45 you're right at the point where you could make a case to go either way. If it were me, I'd go large vs mid.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I'm beginning to see why Einstein stuck with relativity....he probably didn't want to mess with this stuff :lol:

I'm beginning to see why Einstein stuck with relativity....he probably didn't want to mess with this stuff :lol:

It all started 40 years ago....thanks to reading Scientific Angler! And my algebra/geometry teacher...fear of failing regents LOL!

thanks for the reply john, been using Penn senators for years, problem I have, is if I hand one of those rigs to a novice, it's a instant disaster without a levelwind reel. ilooked at thr soltteras, and I guess i'm not impressed. probley just stay with the senators. thanks again, good fishing blackie

Sent from my SCH-i705 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Trying to kill people with a 600

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

You think a 600 is bad Thursday I went with a buddy of mine and he ran an 800 and it actually caught 2 Lakers. He looked at me when the rod fired off the release and said what you waiting for and I said an electric winch cause I won't touch it.lol

Instead of 600 feet of 32 or 45# why not try 400 or 450 of 60#? I run two 45# rigs and put a 60# rig in the chute. They never see each other because of the sink rate of the 60 and I can put copper literally at ANY depth.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I run a 45 lb 400 and 32 lb 600 and 45 lb 100. The two long go out the outriggers at any length (marked every 100) and the 45/100 goes stacked 25 feet above the ball on the center down rigger.

Like Paul said they run at different sink rate and separate on their own plane.

Short coppers are more fun indeed and for kids and women who are not into using "farm equipment" lol!