Need a little help. We are heading up to Fairhaven in two weeks for our summer vacation. I always do well on the Kings and Lakers but this year I would like to target steelhead. Just curious what a decent set up would be to run for them. I know I mark plenty of them out in the 300 and 400 foot depths. There usually hanging out in the 60 foot depth range. I run 4 riggers two coppers and two dipsys. I also run cheaters on the riggers. I can never get the steelies to hit. Any suggestions????

Small to medium spoons in bright colors (hot pink, red, orange etc.) trolled quite fast (2.8-3.2) and usually out deep where you said and down 35-75 ft or so for starters. Sometimes they will take small sticks on the bottom main line with a small active spoon cheated above it ( I've had better luck with sliders unfixed). Have to look for them because they love to roam.

Edited by Sk8man

If I am fishing for them in the 35 to 75 ft range over say 300 feet of water. Should I fund long leads off of the riggers or keep them tight to the ball? I know they hit cheaters all the time but for the life of me I can't get them on the riggers.

Small to medium spoons in bright colors (hot pink, red, orange etc.) trolled quite fast (2.8-3.2) and usually out deep where you said and down 35-75 ft or so for starters. Sometimes they will take small sticks on the bottom main line with a small active spoon cheated above it ( I've had better luck with sliders unfixed). Have to look for them because they love to roam.

I guess u r not a proponent of the Roy G. Biv approach to color presentation?

Fish from the top of the thermocline up to 62 degree water out deep.  I usually don't stop the boat until I find floating stuff on top of the water.  Looking at the temps out deep, you probably could use a smaller size "0" dispsy (more fun, further away from boat).  Leadcore can be deadly off the boards or if you don't have leadcore you can use keel sinkers or pinch-on weights.  Steelhead are easy, just go out deep, fish high with bright spoons and you will get bit.

Who is this Roy g. Biv you speak of and how do I learn of him?........

I didn't get that one either.  I guess I just use any approach that has worked for years :lol:   As far as the distance back of the main spoon I just start at about 20 ft back and lengthen it as I change spoons if they don't get bitten on. If they go too far back they may not work as well because there will be a bow in the line (which I suppose could either hurt or help depending on the spoon selected).Most spoons seem to give more action the shorter the lead especially on turns.

I didn't get that one either. I guess I just use any approach that has worked for years :lol: As far as the distance back of the main spoon I just start at about 20 ft back and lengthen it as I change spoons if they don't get bitten on. If they go too far back they may not work as well because there will be a bow in the line (which I suppose could either hurt or help depending on the spoon selected).Most spoons seem to give more action the shorter the lead especially on turns.

Omg, I was being a smart ass! Lol

I didn't get that one either.  I guess I just use any approach that has worked for years :lol:   As far as the distance back of the main spoon I just start at about 20 ft back and lengthen it as I change spoons if they don't get bitten on. If they go too far back they may not work as well because there will be a bow in the line (which I suppose could either hurt or help depending on the spoon selected).Most spoons seem to give more action the shorter the lead especially on turns.

Silver Fox was joking ...  I was just trying to shed some light on the color spectrum, and light penetration. suggesting using reds and orange down 60-75 ft.  If you apply the scientific theory, reds and oranges are black at those depths...  so if they are hitting reds at 75 ft., all the better, but they aren't seeing red like in the top 20'...  just food for thought........

Who is this Roy g. Biv you speak of and how do I learn of him?........

I did some research and this is a picture of BIV (Dude in the middle) ...perhaps changed his name to "g BIV".  Maybe Roy is referring to Roy Letcher.....Roy Larson???  Could be a new group forming.  Singing, dancing, fishing.

images3_zpsed7c80dc.jpg

Edited by Gill-T

I did some research and this is a picture of BIV (Dude in the middle) ...perhaps changed his name to "g BIV". Maybe Roy is referring to Roy Letcher.....Roy Larson??? Could be a new group forming. Singing, dancing, fishing.

images3_zpsed7c80dc.jpg

Thank you! This is what I was looking for. Now, can you tell me what the k.I.s.s. principle means?

Thank you! This is what I was looking for. Now, can you tell me what the k.I.s.s. principle means?

I will see what I can dig up on this k.i.s.s. principle.  It might take me some time to research.  Good news however, this week I got notification I passed my Captain-Obvious six-pack course so I should be able to help you a lot with your questions going forward. 

Anybody else see my picture/avatar at Silver Fox's post???? Or is it just my app?

Sent from my Lenovo P780 using Lake Ontario United mobile app