Buggered threads

longbow

So my Optimax crapped the bed on my Sat. at Hughes.   So today pulled the plugs and cleaned them and re-installed them.  However port side first plug the thread is buggered.  I just couldn't get the plug set in correctly to get a bite.  Pulled out my flashlight and the top 3-4 threads are buggered.  Will a chaser fix it? thanks

PS I ain't saying I did it either.  Might have been that way from  the previous owner but I got so pissed when my socket went over the side.  Had that for almost 30 yrs and I kid you not.  Crapola

I would use a brass brush and try cleaning the threads first in the hole and on the plug.

I always turn a plug counter-clockwise till the threads drop in and line up.

Sometimes a square helps to get things straight.

Aluminum is fragile at best and if not confident then take it to a mechanic.

Not sure I would do it myself.

You are not the first person to have jangy threads on an aluminum block and you wont be the last.  I was told to always tighten the plugs just a smidge before removing them.  Chasing the threads would drop aluminum metal into the cylinder unless you remove the head.  I would also install new plugs and not reuse the old ones.  You may save yourself some potential future problems and money by taking it to capable mechanic. 

You can use a thread chaser, just smear grease on the chaser and only go a turn at a time then back it out, I use carb. Cleaner and wash the chaser clean and repeat the process unti finished. It takes time but less than pulling the head.

You can use a thread chaser, just smear grease on the chaser and only go a turn at a time then back it out, I use carb. Cleaner and wash the chaser clean and repeat the process unti finished. It takes time but less than pulling the head.

Exactly! 

I think Pap is right on the money if you're going to do it yourself. Those new plugs for the Opti aren't cheap (about $20 each but well worth the investment).

Being a model shop guy u are going to have a tough time getting those threads good unless u pull the head. All a charger is is a dull tap. U don't want to use a new tap because u will take more material out of hole. The best way would be to pull head and work at it from back side.if the threads r crossed already chances are that you are going to loose the first couple. Then there is the compression issue. A lot of it. Now you have a thread you tried fixing from top that has slop in it. Well someday that plug is going to blow out when your out. Take the head to a shop and have them fix it correctly. They may put a heli-coil in . Good luck and use never seize when assy. John

Do a google search on Fords V10 99-2001 spark plug blow outs, that will give you all the info you will need to determine which root you want to take. I have done three of these myself one on my own vehicle, doesn't take long for the word to leak out once you buy the tooling to do your own. I haven't done any in a while since my back issues.

Hey there

happen to me once tried to remove a plug and it was kind of hard to unscrew

yep i   F@#$ up bad

my mechanic retreaded the sleeve  150$

now i uncrew one turn after that its all with the hands only

if its sticking i screw back and unscrew one turn and usaly fixes it

i to had an optimax those spark plug are close to 30$ each here

thefrenchman

Edited by thefrenchman

Well the threads are hosed.  I have about half the threads left in the hole, the top part of the spark plug hole is smooth, bottom part threads.  Every single other spark plug went in and out excellent, ever the ones under the cowling.  So I am in a dliema, pull the head myself and re-tap, I have done this on my Harley on more than one ocassion, buy a reconditioned head and install it, or take it to Power Marine in Canadagua.  Hopefully they can work on the Optimax engine.  No truck but I have a guy at the Marina that will tow my boat for me or maybe my bro from the southern tier.  

Gonna put a kicker on it.  Should have done it over the winter but just put it off.  Kicker is free too from my bro.  Anyways boat is out of the water and just sitting there.  Crap

Not familiar with an Opti, but I did work on a 250 EFI Merc. Pretty simple procedure to pull the head. You would need to get the torque and tightening specification for installation. Any race or high performance shops nearby? They usually have top quality mechanics that may be able to install a helicoil without pulling the head. 

I just bought a service manual for the engine so should have that in a few days.  Don't see a problem really with me pulling the head.  Just a few bolts to loosen and the fuel rail to remove.  I have torque wrenches too.  Calling Power Marine though just in case and see what their schedule is.  thanks

If you pull the head off, take it to Farmer Engineering in Webster, the're a machine shop that deals with that kind of stuff all the time. They can repair the threads or install a heli-coil. No problem.