Leadcore longer than 10 Colors?

Im going to add to my leadcore collection and was considering a 12 color setup for summer fishing. (please dont suggest copper, i hate it!)  Think 12 colors will maintain the 5-6' per color depth? Any pros/cons for running 12 colors or more? thanks, mark

There is a point where the leadcore will "bow out" with added length (in addition to increases and decreases in trolling speed) and I'm not sure you will gain as much as you think but I'm not sure exactly where that point of "no return on your investment" occurs

Why do you "hate" copper? It's just a deployment device. That's like saying you hate dipsies or hate riggers. If you hate it there must be a reason and, most likely, it's something you did wrong. Unless you just don't like reeling in which case adding more lead core will only make your frustrations worse and you still won't catch any more fish because 12, 13 or even 15 colors wont go much deeper than 10 at the speeds we troll.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Why do you "hate" copper? It's just a deployment device. That's like saying you hate dipsies or hate riggers. If you hate it there must be a reason and, most likely, it's something you did wrong. Unless you just don't like reeling in which case adding more lead core will only make your frustrations worse and you still won't catch any more fish because 12, 13 or even 15 colors wont go much deeper than 10 at the speeds we troll.

thanks guys. i knew i was going to get a reply like this.. ive had nothing but bad luck with copper. i dont like the large connections or swivel that needs to come through the guides, in my experience leadcore is much more forgiving and easier to work with, rig, fish than copper. i fish with a variety of guys with different skill levels and they dont always have the patience to deploy copper properly. leadcore seems to be a little more forgiving during a turn where copper seems to just fall out quickly which can cause tangles. these are just some of the things ive run into with copper. didnt really want to get into discussing copper pros and cons, just wanted some thoughts on long leadcores. i enjoy fishing leadcore and have lots of confidence in it. with that said i have a 200' and 300' copper sitting in the garage with plenty of dust on them. thanks, mark

I do no believe u will get 5 or 6' feet per color...  probably more like 4 imo.. and alot of "depth" experts will tell you leadcore flattens out after ten colors or so.. so if thats true blow the dust off ur coppers...  200 n 300 coppers are my favorite on the boat..  easy to use,,,  church boards of big boards,,,  trout or salmon..  so versatile,,,   jusy my opinion..  good luck.

My reply wasn't meant to offend you Mark. And I was correct in my assessment. Your bad feeling towards copper comes from your lack of experience with it. I was in the same position back in '91 when 7 strand wire came out for running divers. I hated it because I didn't know how to properly run it, rig

It or even understand the dynamics behind it.

My suggestion is to find someone proficient with copper to show you how to properly rig, deploy and run copper. And now I will further inflame the internet tempers by suggesting, as a beginner, that you try Blood Run copper. It is far more forgiving and user friendly than the other stuff. (And NO I am NOT bashing Toms copper or anyone else's).

i caught kings on 12 color 2 years ago (before it broke).  Mag spoons on it, and most of the time it wasn't running deep enough so I put a 4oz dive bomb on it, attached after 2 colors.  It broke on me one day must have been a weak spot in the core or sheath.   I lost 3 colors and I split the rest into smaller cores, never replaced the 12.  i like copper

Broke off,

Did the core break where you attached the dive bomb?  How do you attach it to the core?  I'm always afraid of weakening the sheath which can lead to break offs. 

Does anyone let out their core, say 5 colors, then let out another 50 ft or so of backing then attach a snap weight of some kind to achieve more depth?  I have not tried it yet, just trying to figure out a way to keep from weakening the sheath of the leadcore, or for that matter I wouldn't want to attach a weight directly to a copper either. 

I would remove the swivel on your coppers and go with an Albright knot. Use for both backer to copper and copper to leader. Goes out rod eyes really well. Sounds like the swivel in and out is the problem.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Im going to add to my leadcore collection and was considering a 12 color setup for summer fishing. (please dont suggest copper, i hate it!)  Think 12 colors will maintain the 5-6' per color depth? Any pros/cons for running 12 colors colorfulre? thanks, mark

Hi Mark, On my boat we run core off one side and copper on the other usually 3 or 4 boards per side. Some days the core smokes the copper some days its the opposite. This time of year and for the remainder of summer I'll have at least one 12 color in and usually two. It smokes the ten color on the finger lakes for bows and lakers, and crushes steelhead up north. I figure I'm getting around 50 ft out of it and a heck of a lot more on the inside turns. Sean

One way to tell  is if you have a fish hawk TD - put it on and run it out all the way at your usual trolling speed. Yes it does add a little weight to the line but not much when trolling and gives a pretty good estimate.

• 2 weeks later...

If ur having trouble with atommiks 45#, try the blood run 32#. It's much easier to work with and you can still get decent depths. I have 2 atomik coppers and a 32# blood run and though they all take fish, the lighter copper is much easier to deal with

mark, go to bloodruns website and read thier blog about lead core, I think it will answer your questions and probley change your mind blackie

Sent from my SCH-i705 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I've got a question on copper also, how come the copper comes off the reel like its spring loaded? It's a fregging nightmare to deploy, bought as a unit , okuma clarion loaded with copper and backing. I'm a leadcore guy too, so someone's advice I would be thankful for using the copper.

I've got a question on copper also, how come the copper comes off the reel like its spring loaded? It's a fregging nightmare to deploy, bought as a unit , okuma clarion loaded with copper and backing. I'm a leadcore guy too, so someone's advice I would be thankful for using the copper.

Copper shouldn't do that. At most you should have to wiggle rod a little to get leader/copper knot out through eyes. What are you running on the copper? A flasher may put twist in copper without good swivel clip. Also keep thump on spoon. It will back lash a little until you get a little out and some weight is pulling.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Are you sure it is actually copper on that reel (and not camo stainless or something)? Copper usually sort of takes the shape of the spool sometimes but I've never had it unravel like you are describing. Keep in mind ALL wire should be deployed under a certain amount of tension - not free spooled. The best way with wiire (as especially with dipseys) is to use your drag loosened with the clicker on so that the wire slowly goes out. Some folks don't leave the clicker engaged but I do as it is easier to remember the line going out when you are busy setting multiple lines.

I've used wire with no issues, it's a copper set sold by a local merchant. I believe it's 600 ft. My brother refuses to touch it. Maybe the fact I have to thumb the spool because of lack of spool tension, even with the clicker on, is causing the copper to backlash. 600 ft of copper is a lot of weight on the spool tension control. Probably a reel issue. I have no issues with 25 year old diawas with wire. They work fine.

Edited by Roughrider IV

I am by far NOT an expert on copper but  I use a "haywire twist"  with a 20lb leader attached directly to it.  I don't use a swivel at all.  Seems to be semi low profile for my rod guides.  Works for me.

Edited by vogel451