salmon fishing lake ontario from a canoe.

I do tons of canoe fishing in other lakes as well as some rapids and plenty of river salmon fishing. However I've been getting the urge lately to salmon fish from my little 12' old town guide canoe. I'm quite skilled at getting into a swamped canoe and always wear a life jacket. I just need time technique/gear info as I've never done lake salmon before. How far out would I have to go?

That's going to depend heavily on where you're fishing from.  Check out the posts from members "flyak" and "flyboy7" - they're out regularly in their kayaks.

I'm sorry, but this just sounds like a bad idea.  The lake can turn more quickly than you can get to shore and even the wakes from a boat could be an issue.  Unless you're planning to fish in a sheltered bay, I'd never venture out there in a canoe. 

My guess spring and fall at the river mouths would be the most productive. Keep you in close and the fish will be in tight. Suggest a survival suit and a hand held marine radio just to be safe. Good luck

Real problem is lake O is flat and five minutes later three footers are bouncing you all over. Under estimating this lake can get you killed. We lost a thirty year vet on the west end this spring. Lake ontario and the niagara river are not like other water.

If the lake is flat and stays flat no problem...if you get the wrong wind come up you WONT be able to paddle against it to get back to NY. I had an experience in the boundary waters in Minnesota where I couldnt get back to camp and had to emergency camp overnight....not good and I had the luxury of being able to get to shore 10 miles from camp. Too unpredictable for me and Im also experienced. Just my 2 cents....

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Early to mid september in front of,or near the salmon river you should be o.k.....other than that, noone here wants to read about you in the obits.I don't go out on that lake without doubles of all saety equipment and 3 radios!!! respect it and you can enjoy your quest and tell your grandchildren how cool it was.30 years fishing that lake and she still gets me a little  nervous every time i venture out deep .Also,learning to be a good weather map reader is invaluable.Good luck and be safe!!! 

These guys are experienced fishermen and know what they are talking about. I'd heed their advice. There's places for canoeing and then there is Lake O for salmon fishing the two do not mix well. Kayaking is a somewhat different animal and still riskier than being in a large seaworthy boat but to ignore safety concerns is very poor judgment and it is the type of thing that gets folks killed on Lake O She is not very forgiving when you make foolish mistakes no matter how experienced you might be.

Wow not a good idea dude. The weather man has been soooo wrong these days. I would suggest you stay close to land around river mouths in early September on calm days. That I would do. Go catch so bass and don't mess around with The Great lakes. Fish smart!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I fished out of a canoe for a couple years after a divorce left me boatless. I thought i was pretty adept at it until seneca lake blew up on me one day. I was totally unable to make any headway. I had to paddle with the wind,beach it and walk several miles to my truck. Later that year the same thing happened on otisco,not exactly big water. You can do it but be prepared. Use a kayak paddle.

I could not believe my eyes Thursday afternoon at the Town of Tonawanda Boat Launch, I seen a guy and girl lift a flat bottom wood dingy that was about 6ft long and only about 12" of side board.My Tracker Targa 2000 21 ft glass boat that weighs near 4000 lbs with gear was rolling up and down 4 ft from the boat traffic waves.I just could not see how they were even going out!

Get a brightly colored kayak and a survival suit if you want to paddle. A canoe will catch the wind too much, and will be both frustrating and dangerous.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Lake Ontario United mobile app

How do you keep from flipping over if a big king drives under your canoe amid ship?  I know we can all plan on letting off the drag, but it doesn't always happen.  In a boat you may lose your fish, in a canoe you may lose your life.  Doesn't sound like fun to me.  I love my family too much to even think of doing something like that.

You cant tighten the drag beyond what you can balance in a canoe. Ive never caught salmon, but a pike or bass could flip you if you let it. Close to shore in fall it would be fun on the right day. Offshore in a canoe....no way!

Sent from my LG-L38C using Lake Ontario United mobile app