Port ontario

Staying at Selkirk shores second week of augurs can I launch my 221 islander from the launch I can access at port ontario or do I have to goto mex point like I did last year?

I have seen it done before with a 221 but it didn't look easy. We launch a 18 ' glass outboard though.

I will be there at the same time as you for 9 days and I now have a 221 I/O islander . I will be launching in Mexico .

I'm sure we will see each other at the campground :

Rich

Yeah I plan on just hitting Mexico. We are on site 48 I believe pulling with a 24 foot rv

Our glass boat is in cabin # 1 and myself with the islander will be somewhere in a loop.

I'm heading up next sat - tues with the islander ( first trip ) for new to me boat.

Good luck and see ya in aug .

Rich

I've put mine in there many times, no need to go all the way to mexico pt.

Outboard or I/O ?

I have seen outboard 221's launch there and putting the truck wheels in the water.. Taking them out one guy had an electric winch and another had a crank and heck of a time..

I would like to launch there myself , It just looked difficult and was recommended by a friend that works at selkirk to go to mexico..

Rich

Mine is an I/O with a 4 stroke kicker. As Hank at L&M has said " there's enough gear in that boat for 10 rigs" so my boat is heavy and counter weighted in the nose so it sits down in the water. Never had a real problem at PO launch. Like older launch's everywhere it has a few quirks but as long as you don't back in off the concrete you should be fine.The right side has a lop sided hump as you come out but I didn't think it was real bad to deal with. Take it slow 1st time in/out and I can't see why you would have a real problem. That being said don't do anything you don't want to do. I'm a farmer and I'm used to taking chances with everything everyday so what seems ok to me might not be your cup of tea. Remember, this is supposed to be fun so don't turn it into work! -Andy

I apologize , for some reason I was thinking Pine Grove and not PO.

I have also launched at PO many years back with my old Larson and do remember the steep and drop off the concrete .

I really didn't like that but yes, if you got the truck then I'm sure you can launch a 221 there.

I will be going to Mexico though.

Thank :

Rich

I apologize , for some reason I was thinking Pine Grove and not PO.

I have also launched at PO many years back with my old Larson and do remember the steep and drop off the concrete .

I really didn't like that but yes, if you got the truck then I'm sure you can launch a 221 there.

I will be going to Mexico though.

Thank :

Rich

I'm talking about Pine Grove. Never launched at the lighthouse & not sure I want to.

As for my original thought ( pine grove ), its not steep, all sand and very shallow . We pick one side over the other with the glass 18' outboard.

I' m still not sure if I'd want to do the 221 I//O hard top there.

Heading up in 6 days and our first day will be Mexico .If all goes well then we will make that our launch. Maybe in aug I might give pine grove a go, as I will have more helping hands .

Rich

I used to put my Crestliner Sabre 22ft Hardtop I/O in there all the time. Never had a problem. Better have a good heavy tow vehicle though. I've seen 2 wheel drive vehicles have problems pulling out of there.

That said, the only advantage to using that ramp is if you're going to fish in front of the Salmon River or Sandy Pond. If you're going to fish in front of the plant it makes more sense to launch at Mexico. Especially if the lake is snotty.

Total Chaos

When we are up there, starting in about 1 more week, very seldom do I launch my 22 ft. Islander anywhere else.

Only trouble I've ever had was years when the Big Salmon was low.

I will say this about PG, it only takes 1 guy that is not properly prepared, to turn it into a full-blown cluster mess, at 5:00 am.

Call the waterline for the Salmon River before trying.  The CFM's the river is flowing at makes all the difference in the world at the PO launch.  There is a big difference in water level between the summer flow of 135 cfm and 750 CFM's for example.  You could see a couple feet difference in the water level at the launch.  Which can explain why some have had no problems and others have.

Edited by Steelman