Ruff Rider Sodus Live Report July 4-7 2014

Take and throw the ghost line in the water. We ran it 2 yrs ago and the line looks like rope in the water. Our fish catch ratio dropped. We switched back to maxmia and our catch ratio went back up.

Take and throw the ghost line in the water. We ran it 2 yrs ago and the line looks like rope in the water. Our fish catch ratio dropped. We switched back to maxmia and our catch ratio went back up.

Doh!

You know the weather was gonna go to snot, the Pro Am's are the next couple weeks. Working on the trophies for Sodus Pro Am today. This may be the final run - so ya best win one :)

You know the weather was gonna go to snot, the Pro Am's are the next couple weeks. Working on the trophies for Sodus Pro Am today. This may be the final run - so ya best win one :)

Is it too early to speak of the Sodus ProAm curse?

I almost didn't enter this year after the bad weather last year. We came back in both days around 10 am. We entered amateur this year figuring we'll gamble $250. If it's 9 footers again we'll be back at Capt Jack's.

We will be right there with ya!!!

We will be right there with ya!!!

I've never gotten sea-sick.  But i went into the cabin to put away/organize gear as we were coming back in Sat morning.  After i came back on deck i was green...all the guys were taking bets on if/when i would chum.  But i made it back in without spilling my breakfast.

I almost didn't enter this year after the bad weather last year.  We came back in both days around 10 am.  We entered amateur this year figuring we'll gamble $250.  If it's 9 footers again we'll be back at Capt Jack's.

Oh c'mon, it wasn't that bad  :puke:    I fished it both days all day with a 14 yr old outa my lil old 24.  Heck, Dipsey Ranger won the Am and kicked some butt out of an 18 I think.  It was just a tad sporty :) .  I'll never forget setting lines on Sun morning and I only ran 4 due to the weather an it being just me and the kid.  I ran a 700 copper down the chute and wham, so here we are with just me and the kid in 8 footers battling a 27+ lb king on the 700 copper.  It was awesome ! He had to fight the fish and I tried to control the boat. I never thought he'd be able to keep the line tight as the king rode a wave up and we rode one down - but Justin put it on the deck and it ended up being the big youth fish and second biggest king of the tourney.  I will never forget him landing that fish in those conditions. After getting no more king bites, we pounded out to 600 and fished steelhead and had an absolute blast.

JustinSodus2013_zpsad6e0de6.jpg

Feeling safe has to be first, and the gunnels on my old Sea Ray are above my belt and that does give us a false sense of security sometimes I think. Last year was iffy and somewhat risky for sure, but my kid was not going to be okay with sitting at the dock and I never felt like we were in anything the boat couldn't handle.

Edited by Fishtails

my son caught a whopper back in 94. It was a 38 lber would have won the derby except he caught it the night before.Took over a hour to boat it.Many big fish,many good memories.Im sure he will never forget the fight.We did fish one day before that offshore race many years ago.The one  where a few boats broke apart and there was a terrible loss of life.That was the roughest we were evr out but the fishing was awesome.