Ruff Rider Sodus Live Report July 4-7 2014

Oh c'mon, it wasn't that bad  :puke:    I fished it both days all day with a 14 yr old outa my lil old 24.  Heck, Dipsey Ranger won the Am and kicked some butt out of an 18 I think.  It was just a tad sporty :) .  I'll never forget setting lines on Sun morning and I only ran 4 due to the weather an it being just me and the kid.  I ran a 700 copper down the chute and wham, so here we are with just me and the kid in 8 footers battling a 27+ lb king on the 700 copper.  It was awesome ! He had to fight the fish and I tried to control the boat. I never thought he'd be able to keep the line tight as the king rode a wave up and we rode one down - but Justin put it on the deck and it ended up being the big youth fish and second biggest king of the tourney.  I will never forget him landing that fish in those conditions. After getting no more king bites, we pounded out to 600 and fished steelhead and had an absolute blast.

JustinSodus2013_zpsad6e0de6.jpg

Feeling safe has to be first, and the gunnels on my old Sea Ray are above my belt and that does give us a false sense of security sometimes I think. Last year was iffy and somewhat risky for sure, but my kid was not going to be okay with sitting at the dock and I never felt like we were in anything the boat couldn't handle.

That is a great story!!  You guys did a great job!!  I had never fished in conditions like that.  We couldn't keep the riggers (or dipseys) in for 5 minutes (even after cranking down the releases).   Our captain was new to these conditions and the boat control wasn't there.  

I figured out where the fish were... but I needed to upgrade our cannonballs first...

IMAG1432.jpg

Nice! ... touche guys, balls in your court. As for us , we're fishing cayuga tomorrow- i don't go in for hero worship (LOL) -Andy

That is a great story!!  You guys did a great job!!  I had never fished in conditions like that.  We couldn't keep the riggers (or dipseys) in for 5 minutes (even after cranking down the releases).   Our captain was new to these conditions and the boat control wasn't there.  

And lets hope we don't have to again, eh?  We just ran 3 riggers and a copper down the chute in that mess in the morning .. I know what you are saying - Divers would have made things very ugly for us   lol   

Hope to meet you at the Pro Am Joe.  Looking forward to it !!

BTW,  they crushed the kings in Oswego today. Looks like 5 on the LOC board including Paul Powers (aka fish nuts)  with a 27+ .  Nice job Paul !!  Screamer put like 4 on the board!   Looks like the west wind did it;s thing :)

Edited by Fishtails