Break off problems

Getting ready for a trip in August and started readying my rods.  I had a disgusting number of leader break offs with fish and gear loss last year,  I thought is was a knot problem but discovered today that it was probably my leader material.

I decided to rig up everything and do a static pull test to 25# on all my new rigs downstream of the main line..  Everything I've tied so far using 30# Ande Mono and 30# Vanish Flouro that I had on hand was failing miserably in the 10 to 20# pull range!!!  No knot failures just failure of the leader material itself.  I lost some big fish last year that I didn't think we should have.

I've got new material on order and will try that and see what the results are.  I'm thinking the material I've got on hand was old and degraded.  Any thoughts on this???

Another unhappy Vanish customer!!!! I run suffix floro or Seagar, no break offs due to bad line here!!! Good Luck

Capt Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

First f all Berkeley Vanish is the absolute worst line let alone fluoro line I've ever seen virtually no knot strength. Switch to Seaguar fluoro (or even Vicious (inexpensive but good) and Big game 30 lb mono or Blood Run 30 lb Sea Flea  and your problem should be solved.

Getting ready for a trip in August and started readying my rods.  I had a disgusting number of leader break offs with fish and gear loss last year,   I'm thinking the material I've got on hand was old and degraded.  Any thoughts on this???

I always think that my fishing line..IS THE ONLY THING BETWEEN ME AND MY FISH. 

Therefore, I always use high quality line / leaders, and change it for new a couple times per season. Leaders are checked every time the rig is put in, and taken out of the water, and replaced if there is any apparent damage. 

This may sound expensive?  

But is it really?

How much do those swivels and that spin doctor and that fly cost when you lose it all due to a failure? 

How often is it just a little skippy that breaks off? 

More likely it was a trophy Loc derby winner that got away, due to you not wanting to spend a few dollars for new line! 

Earlier this spring I posted about my dealings with p-line. I had numerous break offs in 2 trips....p-line is really really bad fluoro.

For many years I used 30# ande and 14 lb seaguar. I can't really recall having any break offs. Like an idiot I tried the P-line and paid the price. Now I'm back to seaguar and I won't change again. Good luck and tight lines....

Sent from my VS920 4G using Lake Ontario United mobile app

30# Maxima Chameleon. Almost invisible underwater and the most durable mono I've ever used. I used to fish the Niagara River where the smallmouth will dive in the rocks and break off all the time. Once I spooled with Maxima, I never looked back. I used 8# for smallies and 20# and 30# for kings. I just wish I didn't waste so much money on the lesser lines I tried before finding Maxima

Yes, it was the Vanish that broke at about 12 pounds!!! The 2 spools of leader now reside in the trash barrel. I've got some 30# Seaguar Salmon and a spool of blue label coming from fishusa.

It was frustrating breaking off so many nice fish last year. I was dreading going back over and having a similar experience this summer. I never had this problem in the past. As I recall, I had run out of good leader material and tried using up some I had in the tackle bag instead of ordering some. Here in Maine, it's tough to get the stuff to use on the big lake. Most of our stuff is geared for landlocks and togue.

Edited by Dukdog

:lol:  you'll be happy.....and hopefully you won't have to hear any of us repeat our advice (probably worth the money spent right there) :)  Good luck!

Vanish is junk. Switch out to seaguar fluorocarbon. That will be easy to get in leader as the wal-marts here only have it in 20# or more for striper nuts. When your fishing here use a regular 300 yard spool for your leader material. Your not going to notice a difference for what we are doing.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by mainetroller

I normally use Seaguar floro leader.  But i've been using 15 lbs Viscious floro line (not leader) for spoons and it's been top-notch.  It's cheap and you can buy it in any Wal-mart.  I will be bumping up to 20 as the season progresses. 

Seaguar made it so I stopped losing fish from bite offs, As for 30lb Ande pink I use it and some of my reels haven't been re lined in 5 years. I just proofed them with 5 kings this weekend. My rods never see day light when not on the water. I do have 2 used reels with some green line on them that I like even better as it is more limber, knots tighten better and more elastic but don't know what it is! I use 50lb Ande between diver and flasher. 30 pink got broke a few times before I wised up!

• 2 weeks later...

I am not a believer in the expensive "leader material" products.  It catches more fishermen....not more fish.  I have always spooled all of my downrigger and planer board rods with Berkley Trilene 100% flourocarbon line.  14-17lb test usually.  When I need leader for my dipsy rods, i just pull off some line from one of the rods and make one.  I have NEVER had a fish break me off because of a bad leader or knot strength.  The only time I ever lost one was because I cranked the drag down at the exact time a steelie went on a run.  If you use your drag correctly, and tie a knot properly, you shouldnt be having problems.  Now if you are using OLD line, thats been sitting in the sun for hours on end, sure, it will lose integrity.  But under normal conditions, it just shouldnt be happening.

Save your hard earned money and dont bother with "Leader" products.  Buy a spool of the Trilene Flouro for half the cost, and it should last you more than a few years.