What if there were no Kings?

DNR it is clear now. You are one of those rare guys that need forums like this. Have you noticed when you talk to people live and in person, they walk away. It happens because you are loud and abrasive. If there is a women in your life id be amazed. As far as the points youve made. Who cares? Its clear you havent a clue. I read your posts. You make no sense what so ever. Ill be lookin forward to meeting you at the state meeting. I can see i nailed the testaserone diagnosis, KINGS RULE LAKE ONTARIO AND ALWAYS WILL... pegged you as a soccor guy but ncaa makes more sense. Pompas. ---- all the way.

I think what has inadvertently appeared here is, if there was kings in lake O.. and then none, some salmon fishermen would become zombies and eat each other.

If there were never any king salmon in lake O...we would smell the 1970s lakeshore and never enjoy what is in our grasp.

Unless you are very rich and have time to travel 7000 miles.

I may have spent 100,000 dollars fishing the lake since 1988, but I have fished the lake and experienced the thrill since then.

Saving the 100 grand till now might have me going those 7000 miles 30 years later for this chance I would have never known ...

Weekend warrior

Just a truck driver trolling for $ to let me fish my backyard.

cent frum my notso smart fone

DN roach it is clear now. You are one of those rare guys that need forums like this. Have you noticed when you talk to people live and in person, they walk away. It happens because you are loud and abrasive. If there is a women in your life id be amazed. As far as the points youve made. Who cares? Its clear you havent a clue. I read your posts. You make no sense what so ever. Ill be lookin forward to meeting you at the state meeting. I can see i nailed the testaserone diagnosis, KINGS RULE LAKE ONTARIO AND ALWAYS WILL... pegged you as a soccor guy but ncaa makes more sense. Pompas. ---- all the way.

I take the time to learn about things before I make any statements on any topic. Unlike you I don't speak unless asked, I don't speak unless have knowledge to back up my view, and I also don't speak unless I have a clear and concise understanding of the topic at hand. I have spent hours upon hours looking at reports from the past 14 years State of the Lake meetings that I have attended and the ones that I was not present for, I was able to get a copy of the data that was presented. It actually allows for good readings while waiting for your kids to be born. Lots of time to process the data.

So how many more times are you going to question manhood there? I'll leave you with a little ditty to ponder, or work on for some self improvement.

I'll begin to take anything you type seriously once you master the 2nd grade phonics classes or your phone/laptop auto correct feature. Until then KEAP makin UrSelf lookin Lik the genus U clame to bee...

Now for the North American English version: Until then keep making yourself look like the genius you claim to be.

Dude, if you try to use soccor as you call it as a bash, please, PLEASE spell it correctly, it isn't rocket science. It is Spelled SOCCER

I think what has inadvertently appeared here is, if there was kings in lake O.. and then none, some salmon fishermen would become zombies and eat each other.

If there were never any king salmon in lake O...we would smell the 1970s lakeshore and never enjoy what is in our grasp.

Unless you are very rich and have time to travel 7000 miles.

I may have spent 100,000 dollars fishing the lake since 1988, but I have fished the lake and experienced the thrill since then.

Saving the 100 grand till now might have me going those 7000 miles 30 years later for this chance I would have never known ...

Weekend warrior

Just a truck driver trolling for $ to let me fish my backyard.

cent frum my notso smart fone

Great post, and 100% accurate. The Lake Ontario Shoreline would look the the walking dead TV show with trollers  who wouldn't/couldn't adapt, and yes it would stink with alewives....

Say, I could really use some fresh popcorn this morning for breakfast.... :lol: ...Glad this thread is not dead yet. I'll say I'm glad we are all good and sensitive and serious and fun loving fish catching folk. I'm with those who think trolling is relatively boring but also a great way to locate spread out fish. Perfect for kings in big water. And sometimes for smallies too. And for walleyes, which of course taste much better than the fight....good! Jigging for lakers is really a hoot, as trolling does not do them justice. Except maybe for some of the really big old ones up in the big lakes of northwestern Canada, which I have never experienced. Flyrodding for largemouths, sunnies and stream trout is a blast! I like watching and feeling large carp carry away with power your corn or bread offering off the bottom, causing you to run and grab your staked pole before it gets dragged into the drink...who needs bells or chimes? :shake: Oh, and did I mention that walleyes at dusk next to shore on topwater offerings is a blast.....? The beauty of brightly colored arctic char is something to behold. I've never fished the St. Lawrence tribs for big Atlantics but sounds like they would be great. Here's one... the DEC has been, and successfully so, at work re-establishing the once native to Chautauqua paddlefish. Can't catch them, but I'm glad they are back. Move over musky, spoonbill is back! I, like many, love the screaming runs, occasional jumps, raw power and often chaotic excitement of major sized kings, even against the drag of trolling. And bluefish swarms killing plugs in Narragansett Bay or Long Island Sound......love it! (they taste good too). A small fish that has little fight but looks crazy when they fill with water or air, the northern puffer, will put a walleye in the back seat on the kitchen table! We call 'em chicken of the sea. I like ALL of this fishing  for different reasons. Just don't seem to be able to say I can't stand or won't do this or that kind of fishing. I'm glad New York has worked to establish, re-establish and build and rebuild so many fishing opportunities mother nature, and all and any other powers that be, have given us to enjoy. The colors, tastes, looks, fighting characteristics, varieties....all have something and many things to give us. Really? Sheepheads?  :P Long live kings, really long live lakers, steelies, pickerel, crappies, American shad (what?), American eels, rockies, etc. etc.....Some fun for everyone. It's good for the environment and for us all. BTW...nix those crazy jumping silver carp and plankton eating bigheads......Yeah, I guess there are some fish I don't want to see around......It's late, I'm going fishing..... :)

Great post, and 100% accurate. The Lake Ontario Shoreline would look the the walking dead TV show with trollers  who wouldn't/couldn't adapt, and yes it would stink with alewives....

Nice grammar and punctuation...Mr spellcheck!!  Go back to Salmoncrazy, tying snagging flies and your Lotac meetings!!

:mooning:

Edited by BAZOOKAJOE

dnr, why would you want to keep the brown trout?

They are again a species that spawns multiple times before they expire (naturally) usually 3 to up to 5 times in the tribs based on the hatchery data, but a typical spawner is more like 2-3 spawns in the actual trib, and sometimes they spawn in the estuaries as well. They love to eat the gobies and other invasives so that would help to keep some of the numbers in check, but are needing help from the other species that are out there if the pacifics were gone. The other part is that they are also a species that does not drop their eggs and run straight back to the lake. You will find browns in the tribs from Sept thru april and sometimes into May if the water is cold enough. The ability to have an opportunity to fish for something year round is a good thing in my book. The other part is that they seem to pretty resilient to diseases that are found in hatcheries as well.

Nice grammar and punctuation...Mr spellcheck!!  Go back to Salmoncrazy, tying snagging flies and your Lotac meetings!!

:mooning:

Sorry, was here well before you, was never a LOTAC member, and I don't tie flies for snagging. But I do enjoy putting you in your place on 2 boards. Shot lines.... now there is a topic that actually has no merit.

Please get me another bucket of buttered popcorn..... Does this theater serve beer? I love movies, but this "reality" show is just making me hungry. BTW.....any of u guys that like to pot shot  :headbang:  even get out to do some fishing, in the way that u say u prefer, this weekend at all.....?   Catch anything besides a cold.......?  :P     Tried myself to get out yesterday but got snagged into doing other stuff. Had to go pick up some retail items and ran into a stranger.....had a conversation about fishing (of course) and was tipped to some new access locations to check out for some different angles on some rivers. Already checking some of that out online......fish on!

Edited by panfisher

For PA.....Linds and I fished a different section of a special little stream of the Catt watershed, all wild rainbows and browns. Lots of fish looking up, stellar day, wet wading, and some really nice fish...lots of little guys. Sulfers, and swinging a little wet fly. A blast on the spongy glass 3 wt.

well, i just read the whole thread. wow. you boys shouldnt play so rough, somebodys going to end up crying. :thinking:

if there were no more king salmon in lake O it wouldnt really bother me that much. I fish for trout more often than salmon. actually only go after salmon if I have guests on board who really want to fish for them.as I dont enter derbys I dont go after them much.

Im one of the few who actually target lake trout. I like rainbows and browns as well. Recently have begun to learn how to jig for lakers and its been fun. and fishing is supposed to be fun. Ive read so many reports on another site where guys are chasing around the lake burning gas and time looking for salmon and complaining about no fish. Thats not fun.

guess Im just easy to please.

that is all.

Good Fishin

Sorry, was here well before you, was never a LOTAC member, and I don't tie flies for snagging. But I do enjoy putting you in your place on 2 boards. Shot lines.... now there is a topic that actually has no merit.

You sound like the poster boy for summers eve?! Long live the King!!

Everyones entitled to their opinion, but there is some serious overstating of knowledge of the Lake O game going on here. With all the traveling the world and "reading the riffles right", the amount of lake trolling for the pelagics has been minimal at best. You guys should stick to talking Atlantics. I am certain I have more true hours of on the water observation on Lake O than any other poster on this thread. To make fun of of claims of "too much bait" just shows that you truly don't care about the lake fishery. My posts on this subject were in the best interests of all. You guys should  already know that it is the excessive alewife diet that hurts Atlantic reproduction. It was more of a concern for the entire Lake O system than it was for a personal gain. Its no secret that I prefer King Salmon , and don't kid yourselves the fishing for them is not like it was in the mid to late 80's when properly trolled spoons got swallowed into their gullets. These days it has all the elements you fellas enjoy about fly tying/ fly presentation but anywhere from 30 to 300 feet down. It is not a game for simpletons as you imply.

If the Atlantic dream you have is to ever have one iota of success the King Salmon is the reason, the solution, PERIOD.

Like it or not, MAN is part of the evoluton of the planet and sometimes they do dumb things like build the seaway or use monofilament gill nets or dump ballast water from faraway lands into the precious Great Lakes. Sometimes they do great things like introduce one of the top gamefish in the world into these same Great Lakes. The late, great, Bill Pearce brought the Pacific Salmon to Lake Ontario. It wasnt just to control Alewives or monitor lamprey control measures, he predicted and welcomed the southshore economic explosion. He knew it would change lives and improve the quality of life in this region. I know many, many young people who have "banged a right" into the sportfishing world instead of banging a left into a world of trouble. I understand the desire to see the Atlantic resting in your favorite riffle, but with the lack of law enforcement in our tribs the will be "disrespected" just like the Browns and Kings currently are. The Kings are not to blame, in fact, they provide a buffer for all this lawlessness that goes on. The one word that comes to mind when sensing your glee of having people leave the sport and fishery is selfish. Once again, Kings are never the problem, they are the solution to all of the lakes issues.

UT falcon and baitrigger, I don't know if I know you guys yet but your posts are spot on.Even though you are from two different countries you see things as they are. There is definitely an underlying hope at least, that this fishery we now have could be slowly replaced by the "native species". It truly does provide an "inconvenient truth" that to achieve any kind of restoration of the beloved natives, the nuisance Pacific must be tolerated. You'd have to be blind not  to see it. More and more hatchery space dedicated to the ATLs, and less to the Pacifics. Look no further than the new "I LOVE NY fishing"  TV ads. Celebrating flyfishing and bass fishing with no mention of Lake Ontario or its Salmon. There was one flash of a guy holding a King. This scenario is repeated all the time. The number one drawing card gets down played and not celebrated, even though it puts the money in the coffers and sells the non resident licenses. It was no accident that the Pacific Salmon did so well in Lake O, it was meant to happen--we got another chance to enjoy the LAKE.

Long live the TROLLED, pelagic, King Salmon !  

Edited by Capt Vince Pierleoni

Finally a informative post!! Id like to thank those who post quality material that is useful and helpful to other sportsman. Captain Vince your posts are excellent and a pleasure to read. Most of us know who the REAL pros are and who the troublemakers are!

Justin