Canandaigua 7/5 16+lb laker

Launched at the North end with the whole family and made the run down to Danny ' s place. Ran 3 divers and 2 riggers. We never moved a rod from 7-10am. The girls were definitely getting bored. We made the last circle through and started trolling north to pull rods. As soon as the boat straightened out I popped the deep rigger that was at 125' and fish on. Small 20" laker. Unfortunately my daughter had lost interest in the 3 hour lull and didn't want anything to do with fishing..just wanted to play with the hose and stick her feet in the livewell. That rigger and the white/green dot SD and green Atomik Fly was sent back down. We figured we had a half hour before the pleasure boaters woke up from a long night. 2 more small lakers were picked up on that set up. At 1030 the mag diver on a 1 setting out 150' pulling a black with green dot SD got crushed. Drag wasn't screaming but it was a constant peel that went to 230'. My girlfriend didn't have a clue what to do. I figured it was a nice 10 - 11lbs laker just sitting back there with his mouth open. 25 minutes later after numerous breaks and a request for gloves because of sore hands...I scooped the net under a monster trout. Dad and I caught and successfully released one just over 17lbs last season and this fish looked bigger to me! We took 2 quick pictures and I leaned over the side of the boat to get the water through his gills. After 5 minutes, there wasn't even a kick of the tail. Not sure how to cook and eat an old boot but we're going to give it a shot smoking it. We were all upset that reviving didn't work. After all the rods were pulled we put a scale on the fish. 16lbs 9oz. Now I think she understands why on my days off I get up at 4am to go fishing. I think she's finally hooked. Oh and this fish was stocked...right anal fin and adipose were both clipped.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

post-146339-14046058521859_thumb.jpg

post-146339-14046059406757_thumb.jpg

Edited by basspro

Great post and very nice laker :yes:  At least we know there still some big hogs out there... :)

Edited by Sk8man

That's a hell of a Laker!!! The only one I know of that's ever been caught bigger than that was about 4-5yrs ago. 22-23lb laker. That's a Huge Greaser for that lake!!! Way to keep fishing when most people would've called it a day. That's a trophy fish on any of the Finger Lakes. Way to go brother!!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thanks everyone, we were all upset that the fish wasn't able to be released. Paul, I knew we had a good one on when I sent you the picture mid-fight!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by basspro