Black Lake?

I wasn't sure where to post this so I stuck it here. Sorry if it's the wrong place.

Back story: I was up at Black lake in early June. Spent a day fishing there while we were at the 1000 Islands. Loved fishing both areas. My wife and I had planned a camping trip down south but decided we'd have a more relaxing time up at Black Lake. Unfortunately, I can't tow the camper and my boat so I'll be renting a little 14' deep v from the campground we're staying at. Not sure how it's outfitted but I assume it won't have much, if anything. I expect a bare boat with a motor. I'm taking a little stern mount trolling motor up with me as well so I'll have that at least. Should be OK.

Last time up we launched at the black lake ramp on rt 6 and headed west to lower deep bay. Did well on LMB and I got a bowfin and one large catty. Most fish were caught on a PowerWorm motoroil color rigged texas style. Didn't catch any panfish. Started to drizzle rain and the radar said heavy rain and winds were on the way so we packed up and headed back to camp. All in all a great trip.

I'll be up there toward the end of July. Anybody have any pointers for a newbie? I'd love to get my wife on a few Pike and she'd have fun with the panfish. I'd like to get after some of those hog LMB as well. We'll be staying at Back Bay Campground on the far Southern end. I think the boat has a 4 stroke so running around won't be a huge issue to me.

Thanks in advance

U will be just outside of my favorite spot, Milearm Bay. Fish the rock faces at the entrance to the bay for crappie (leave some for me for ice season), the weed edges inside the bay hold bass and pike. I catch some decent smallies in their too. Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

Hope you didn't leave yet.

You got the right bait style but get you some more colors.  I like Black, green Pumpkin/chartreuse, plum and blue (and  motor oil).  If the water has a lot of color to it with full sun, try a moccassin or red shad color.   It has the black to outline and has a lot of reflection too.  Early morning sun go with Blue but the pan fish are going to rip the tails off. 

Get you some perch flavored spinner baits for toothy critters.

Beetle spin for the pan fish (or live bait)

That is an awesome place to fish.  Enjoy it. 

great thanks. I'm headed up there tomorrow. I'll stop at TI bait shop for some more worms and lures. How's the Pike fishing in Black Lake? I noticed that most of that lake is only 10' deep or so. Is it weedy right now? it wasn't too weedy when I was up there in early June, but I'd think it prob is this time of year. Any tips or locations on Pike? Wife doesn't fish really, but she's never seen a Pike. Just all my stories about catching them!! It'd be cool to get her to catch one or two. I think the boat I rented is a little 12 or 14' I'm going to take a trolling motor along hoping it won't be a problem to clamp it on the rented boat.....who knows.  I won't have a gps or FF but I'll grab a map from TI Bait shop. I got the boat the whole week and the wife will get bored fishing after a day or two. So if anyone wants to come along for a free day, hit me up. Names Matt, cell is 484.332.1124 Just holler if you want to come along. I'll be up there Sat-Sat

Edited by MooseKnuckle VI

Get the Gary yamamato senkos in watermelon with black specks in them and hook them in the middle of the worm and cast them in 15' and less water and let them sink and just watch your line. When it starts to take off, set the hook! Hands down my favorite way to catch bass and pike!!!

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

definitely wacky in Green Pumpkin.  Shallow water - no weight and let it sink.  Really good in zero wind conditions and obvious pockets.  This is the only color I use and I use with a no 2 or 1/0 and a O-ring to keep the little fish from ripping it off.

Any more tips to this lake? Been fishing since Sunday and my numbers are pathetically low. Fished all over the lake with little luck. Today I only got one crappie and one LM. Fished big bay, three me bay, grindstone bay, devils graveyard, Mutt and Jeff islands, tavern island, upper deep bay, hog back island, around conger island and everywhere in between. Using mainly Texas and wacky rigged senkos and power worms, tossed a few mepps #5s and tandem spinners. Only had luck on Texas rigged worms.

Got checked by the fish cop today, he said nobody's doing stellar. But a kid at the sick tonight had a bag of fish and claimed he caught over 50 crappie and 18 LM just this afternoon. Said he got them all on worms off the channel byte big flag pole. The only flag pole I know of is on that little island at the entrance to upper deep bay. Any help please?????

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United