First Time Fishing Sodus Point/ Sodus Bay May 16th-18th

I love stripers but all that's on my mind lately are lakers, browns, and salmon. Really hope I can hook a salmon this inaugural trip up to the big lake. Caught two in my life, 1 a 30 pounder caught in the Salmon River. Strongest fighting fish I've ever had the pleasure of catching.

[email protected]

You'll see a big difference in how a fish fights in the river vs. on the lake. Me personally, the only thing I miss with the lake are the jumps (which you can still get sometimes).

FYI, we're out of Sodus and the salmon fishing is usually not that great until July. If you want to catch a ton of salmon, head down to Wilson, NY for the first or second week in May. That's what we do, then we put our boat in at Sodus from there until Sept.

Nick

Where is Wilson in relation to Sodus?

Being our first time up fishing the lake, we decided to go out of Sodus Bay, staying at Sodus Point Lodge. My father-in-law has a 16 ft Starcraft aluminum boat with a small outboard motor. The reason we chose Sodus was that we figured if the weather was rough we could stay in the bay and fish for walleye or pike. While the boat is pretty good in somewhat rough conditions, and has two bilge pumps, I'm not so sure we wanted to brave some of the more choppy and crowded areas like the Niagara Bar. Believe me, we'll be happy with anything we catch, browns, rainbows, bass, whatever....but I really want my father-in-law to get the feel for a chinook cause we don't have anything that fights like them down in NJ. Heck I'd even be tickled pink with a coho, which neither of us have ever caught before. Truthfully, at first I thought trolling the shoreline out to a mile or two whould be realatively easy, but with only three days to fish, finding where the fish are and what works, along with getting suitable weather, is beginning to have me think it will be more of a challenge. It will definitely be a learning experience our first time up.

[email protected]

jasper, your scaring me... pm me with dates if im around then ill try to get my van to go east Sodus ,better yet you guyes drive to the oak i ant no expert but got a few hours on the water there ,gotta 22ft that will hold 4 might even have enuf rods for us all :shock: ,i could always accept another excuse to go fishing :D im shure other members here would offer you the same.. ill even video your catching i mean fishing............81 mi to wilson,,,53 miles to oak orchard

Thanks Ray. Believe me, there is no reason to be scared. I'm 32 years old and been fishing for roughly 25 years. I have trolled a lot for browns, lakers, walleye and musky and owned canoes, kayaks, jon boats, aluminum boats and a center console for ocean fishing. At age 32, I have no desire to cut my life short by being stupid on Lake Ontario. If the weather is rough, we'll stay in the bay. If not, we'll venture out and try for browns and possibly a salmon. I've spent a lot of time out on the water and seen some bad decisions that have gotten people in trouble. I have always erred on the side of caution. In fact, that is the reason for all the questions about the Sodus Point area, to try and be as prepared as possible for when we get up there. I am no expert when it comes to fishing or boating on Lake Ontario and you can believe me my decisions will be made with safety in mind.

[email protected]

Phil,

Yeah Wilson is probably two hours west. It doesn't get as rough usually out that way, and if it does, there's always the niagara river to fish in. Just a thought and probably your best bet to "definitely" get tied into a king or two. Sodus should have some browns around, althought the brown fishing last year was miserable. If you do decide to stay with Sodus, we should be up there that weekend as well. Drop me an email/pm closer to april and we'll swap info.

Nick