Seneca northern half 7-6-14

First of all a big thank you to Jason and Theresa my great hosts for the day on the M-Arlene (Great Lakes Lure Maker boat) on Seneca Lake.  I'll let Jason provide the details of the fish caught etc. when he gets the opportunity as I lost count and he and Theresa religiously kept diary details :)  Usually I get caught up with the fishing details but today it was even more importantly about the social experience factor and another great dimension of the LOU site....that of meeting and spending quality time with people you otherwise might not have connected with.  Today also underscored for me the importance of both extending and accepting opportunities that come your way. 

I had not personally met either Jason or Theresa before this morning. But Jason had extended the generous invitation in a posting here on LOU to join them testing out some of his lures that he manufactures on the north part of Seneca Lake (which I consider my "home territory").  I met them at 6 AM at Seneca Lake State Park where they had spent the night after fishing  and field testing lures yesterday. We exchanged greetings briefly They provided me with some great coffee and we were off down the canal toward the lake.

We each set up our favorite 3 rod setups each on one side of the boat. I looked over his varied selection of his Great Lakes Lures the Oakie Doakie, Keuka Wobbler, Silver Soldier and other spoons he is testing out (which looked very cool by the way). I went with my selection of Suttons and Quick Strikes etc and one of my homemade flies behind an Echip flasher on my side of the boat. Early into it I caught a nice rainbow about 4-5 pounds on the Sutton and later a nice laker on the homemade fly and others as well and the morning went pretty  well for me but the afternoon the Great Lakes spoons came on strong and started kicking butt with several nice lakers and as we ended our fishing we had a quadruple. It was like a Chinese fire drill. The Great lakes Lures were truly impressive. 

The fishing was a lot of fun, and I think it was a mutual learning experience and it seemed very "natural" fishing with new found friends who are very competent and know what they are doing. Theresa handled the boat like a pro allowing Jason and I to "do our thing" with our equipment in the back of the boat. It was totally enjoyable chatting about things of mutual interest and I had a blast. This brings me to the main point of this post. To those of you thinking about extending an offer to someone on LOU you don't necessarily know personally but would like to fish with ....do it! To those of you who might be hesitant about accepting an offer of such from someone on here....life is short...enjoy it to the fullest....take a chance on doing something different and perhaps even out of your comfort zone...it can turn out to be a wonderful experience. This one certainly was. We didn't take pics of many of the fish but these are samples of the day.

Les

P.S. only the rainbow had a lamprey mark a lot of clean native lakers

post-145411-0-40414200-1404689996_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-59979600-1404690013_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-29956100-1404690026_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-58529900-1404690042_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

Yes Mike those lures really work great  and the new spoons are also pretty unique and the fish really slam them and yesterday especially the new Fire Tiger spoon and the others that  being tested - very effective and they performed well at higher speeds as well.  Jason really put them through their paces out there rigs, downriggers, core, jug rigs etc. I'm a believer :)

Edited by Sk8man

Thank you Les for an awesome day on the water and the flies to try out! We really enjoyed having you on the boat and looking forward to doing it again some day soon. I will have some dodgers made up for the flies, and maybe next time we can do a dodger/fly test and see what we think. Thanks again Les, your a great guy to spend a day (or 2) on the water with! I can't say enough what a good time we had fishing with you! Results can be found under the topic "Field Test Trip"

Anyone wanting info on our lures can PM me and I will send you details on them as well as pricing. I can do custom lure designs as well. Production now is a little slow, certain paints, and primers are no longer available and were having a bit of a learning curve as a result,  and we are still re - tooling dies for some of the newer lure's and forms, but were getting it on track.

Thank you,

Jason & Theresa

and Scout too!

It is a real nice boat to fish from, takes the water well and Jason and Theresa  have their respective "game plans" nicely in place....even Scout knows exactly what he is doing :lol:  They really fished hard testing out the lures for a few days in a row. I reserve that kind of grueling schedule for derbies and that is it these days :)

Thank you for the compliments on the boat. :)  We have been doing a lot of work to her this year, and have more planned as we can afford the repairs. She's about to get a full scrub down and wax as soon as I get time, and some equipment upgrades as well. So, she will be making the trip back to the shop in Elmira for a couple days, then back to Seneca Sun, possible Sat.  for the Seneca Challenge.

I've passed the M'Arlene boat on the way to work about a mile from my house for the past two days! What a beautiful boat !!

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I am assuming you must live by me. I live where the boat has been parked the last couple days. (not going into too much detail) As you can see, we can't get her to the house to work on her, so she has to make the trip to Elmira when I need to work on her.  If you are out and have some free time, stop and introduce yourself. Always good to know your neighbors, especially if they fish! 

Jason

Thank you for the compliments on the boat. :) We have been doing a lot of work to her this year, and have more planned as we can afford the repairs. She's about to get a full scrub down and wax as soon as I get time, and some equipment upgrades as well. So, she will be making the trip back to the shop in Elmira for a couple days, then back to Seneca Sun, possible Sat. for the Seneca Challenge.

I am assuming you must live by me. I live where the boat has been parked the last couple days. (not going into too much detail) As you can see, we can't get her to the house to work on her, so she has to make the trip to Elmira when I need to work on her. If you are out and have some free time, stop and introduce yourself. Always good to know your neighbors, especially if they fish!

Jason

hey Jason yes brad fishes he is a good friend to have!!! He has spent some time on both boats I have had set up for fishing the only problem with brad is he has a horrible habit of losing some big fish right at the boat!! Hahaha

Good to know. He's welcome to stop by any time. Were usually home most eve's, weekends obviously we try to go fishing, but if not we should be home. As far as losing big fish at the boat, he will fit right in! We've lost our share this year, and I hope that bad jue-jue is off our boat now! Next time, someone is eating a sawbellie! :puke:  Seems to work on Deadliest Catch, and i'm running out of options. Theresa even suggested having the boat blessed by her priest, but that"s a little extreme if you ask me. 

I'll have to stop in some time. Just passed by but trying to take care of stuff at the house before the storm! Odometer never tripped a mile between your house and mine! And thanks Joey.... I can net fish like its nobody's business but put me on the other end and sometimes I lose them! Lol sure have landed a lot of big ones though! :)

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app