possible nys record sheephead......

Say, devoknevo.........Are you indeed the proud owner of the current state record sheephead.....? Verified and certified by the DEC? And whatever has happened to all those sheepies being caught by u and pikefreak and others? Seems like a banner year for those under appreciated fish. Are they still being caught as frequently as just a few weeks ago? That was a rather amazing run. Did U (devoknevo) have that fish mounted (skin or replica)?  :wondering:

Say, devoknevo.........Are you indeed the proud owner of the current state record sheephead.....? Verified and certified by the DEC? And whatever has happened to all those sheepies being caught by u and pikefreak and others? Seems like a banner year for those under appreciated fish. Are they still being caught as frequently as just a few weeks ago? That was a rather amazing run. Did U (devoknevo) have that fish mounted (skin or replica)?  :wondering:

Yes Pan, It's official!

We received the letter last week from Albany stating that the record is ours!!!!

The fish was so big and out of proportion, the taxidermist had to make a mold from the actual fish and then do a replica from that. It should last a lot longer than a skin mount.

I don't know about the other guys but the fish are still there, in fact last week I had an evening where I lost count somewhere in the twenty's in a couple hours, ...It was a true bloodbath. Some days they like trolled lures, some days casting. We haven't even tried live bait because they smack lures so easily. Its a banner year allright, its the best action I've ever seen.

Oh yeah, I posted some pics in the Picture thread.

Edited by devoknevo

Congrats. There is a nice article in NY Outdoor News with a pic. Just got it today

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

OOOooowwwweeeeeeee!! NNNnniiiiiiiccee!!    :)     Signed...sealed.....delivered.....ITS YOURS!!!    And that is a horse of a fish. To think that you have a New York State Record of an All American fish species is really awesome. And to think the world record out of Tennessee is almost twice that size is further evidence of the neatness of sheepies. BTW, seems the record you broke was about 2lbs less, caught in Ganargua Creek, which, if it is not known, is in the Rochester area (Palmyra-Macedon). I've fished that some, a small warmwater stream that runs into the canal. To think something that large was in there backs my long held theory that big fish of certain species may live anywhere said types are. Yeah, some waters do tend to produce bigger or smaller averages of any given specie for different reasons. But given an average healthy system the Big One could, surprisingly or not so, come from anywhere. Also, noting that sheepheads are a relatively long lived fish, with little focused pressure because of more glamorous types around, increase the odds there are way bigger ones in the area, probably in the Big O area. Whew!  :sweating:  This is a true banner season for them, maybe because of gobies. Noticed that it also seems to be a really good year for muskies in Chautauqua Lake, with numbers and qualities being taken there. Anywhoo, congratulations man on a super nice deal!  :handshake: ........Sheepheads Unlimited... :mmm:

Edited by panfisher

BTW, just checked out your posting in the pics section. Nailing them on shadraps. I'll bet they, along with browns, smallies, largemouths, pike, maybe even perch and crappies and lakers are all feasting on the gobies......maybe. Perhaps those annoying little guys are bringing silver linings to the lake. I'd like to think so.....