Walleye near Cape Vincent/Carlton Island

Wrestling Coach

What would be your thoughts as to why walleye show up later in the season around Carlton Island and don't seem to be there early? My thought is the bait. As water temps change schools of bait come in from the lake and the walleye schools are right there coming in from the lake as well. Thoughts? 

Bait certainly has a lot to do with why they are there and other places throughout the river. If you have current, structure and bait there will be walleyes nearby. The fish I caught today were spitting up bait. I believe these fish arrive this time of year from spawning sites. Perhaps they come from Chaumont and Black River area or even from Canada. There is a healthy population from the lake throughout the river and the population around Ogdensburg seems to be very good (perhaps due to stocking). This winter was a banner year for them through the ice in Chaumont and around Ogdensburg. Glad to see the population seems to continue to be growing. The future of this fishery seems bright indeed.

Have fished that area many times and it does seem to hold true that the later in the summer the better the

walleye bite. This seems to have changed a bit over the years though because I can remember killing em 

by jigging throughout the day. Recently the bite has seemed to pick up in late summer and it would be an

evening and into dark bite by trolling.  Jigging just doesn't seem to produce the way it use to. 

Have fished that area many times and it does seem to hold true that the later in the summer the better the

walleye bite. This seems to have changed a bit over the years though because I can remember killing em 

by jigging throughout the day. Recently the bite has seemed to pick up in late summer and it would be an

evening and into dark bite by trolling.  Jigging just doesn't seem to produce the way it use to. 

I observe a few boats in the late evening jigging this area. They do pick up fish but not like we do trolling the same water. I always say I will try the large bucktails or the blade baits like a Cicada but I never do.