New here……………………

Hey Heron.  Welcome to Lake Ontario United as well as the Musky Forum!  Many of us frequent your home lake (Chautauqua) every year as well as some of us (including myself) that call it their home water!  Look forward to having you included in our threads/topics.

--Joe

Hi Heron.  Welcome.  I'll be heading up to Chautauqua this weekend for the first time this year.  Chq is my favorite muskie lake in the U.S.  I'll be there pretty regularly on the weekends from now until November.

Heron 1961......question already.......streaks?..... :wondering:

"streaks" - meaning specifically for a short period of time . Similar to - baseball hitting streak and or slump, hot streak, etc etc

English class was not my favorite

Heron 1961, The reason I asked is because I know a couple of guys in the NMA who have caught the bug to catch musky on flies. They have raised a fish or three but have yet to hook up but they are bound and determined to succede. They even have somewhat of a fan club rooting for their success.

Sure

It seems Chaut. Musky are tougher to come by on fly than some other regionally waters and much more so than Northern Pike in general.

Your a bit limited to shallow water on Chaut. which (unless a rocky area) is likely to be pea soup stained (especially right now on the lower end).  While current fads in Musky flies . are the big articulated musky muddlers/Bufords - for sub-surface they may want to try some 7"-8" flash flies, especially if the sun is out/high. Tied primarily of long, holographic,  flash- a- bou with reversed,hollow buck tail collars for support,girth,etc.  This swim nice,cast better and have a light spoon type quality.  Besides casting they can also be row,paddle or electric trolled slowly and worked, pumped via hand or oars along………tight to….. the weed lines , similar to single hook, spoons (more weedless) from the late 1800's-early 1900's , double ender,Chautauqua error where they would "skirt" the weed beds with such…….and/or cast.

Years ago, an old timer (and I am in my 50's ! ) local Musky guru , whom was interested in my fly tying/fishing, shared with me to "fish top water with the fly - and don't over look the Inside weed lines as well "  .  He stated that back in the day (and he dated waaaay, back/double enders and such to outboard transition) some used flyrod with hair bugs , top water, bit larger size than typical Bass for Musky and big bass.  With rec. boat traffic these days this would now be limited to weekday, mornings/evenings.  They would also work these over the interior weed pockets/holes amongst massive weed beds like some do with jigs (but top water) now.  In double ender error besides "skirting" they also "skittered" which was rapid top water retrieve, flutter,commotion with a spoon or spinners over beds, stopping and / or turning direction in pockets.  

I suspect not enough fly anglers (me include) - Top Water Musky on Chaut. ……….Enough.  Strange as it is one of the better things fly rods are good for, much easier on the shoulder than deep sunk fly's and lines, more fun, catch some nice bass to boot………..yet………few……..Very few….do it.

Here (below) is a flash fly, I tied, about 7" x 4/0 that had a nice Musky on it, about a week ago, before I drop'ed it as it ran towards my boat.  Good hook sets with fly rods, soft, substantial line stretch are a whole other issue.  Great for catch and water release………..just further from your hand than you may like………..often ….   ;)  LOL

Its fun but not more rewarding imo.  Especially with the use of shooting heads (makes it more like a spin/casting rod feel-shooting), heavy grain heads to 450,etc………..it's gotten pretty stupid compared to decades ago as some attempt to do everything fly (why?) just as some archers want to hunt Everything with a bow only…………..a lot of lines are crossed in attempt…….to the point some may say…….that don't even feel like flyfishing anymore………..or that don't even look like a bow ----- ;) LOL……..to each there own.

For me the reward is catching stuff on what you tie up,create mostly…….thats fun and passes winters……..the rest is "drama"

P4120078_zps1fa2cc06.jpg

Edited by Heron 1961