skaneateles lake report

Both myself and father have been out. I fished a few weeks ago I got a nice bow and a few lakers on flutter spoons. My father went this weekend and had some fun in the morning fishing for lakers down deep. It seems like this lake shuts off at 1030am. As for thermocline, no clue. My fishhawk unit is waiting on replacement. Sorry I can't be of too much help but I'd say fish it early and let us know how you do! Good luck.

Does a thermocline ever set up on Skan?  I haven`t fished that lake in over 20 years but I (think) I remember talking with someone at DEC and was told (I can`t remember the reason he gave) that a thermocline never sets up in that lake.  Back then I couldn`t keep more than one rig in the water, but everything was 1-3 pounds.  DEC told me there were some state record lakers (at that time) in there, which is why I kept going back.  Beautiful scenery, though.

Can be a tough lake to fish to catch any thing of size. Only ever caught small fish out of the lake. The lake does set up but usually late and the cold water is all ways shallow. Fish are generally quite skinny and small

Sent from my LG-D800 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Wow.  What a fish.  Towards the end of my fishing days there I started using 2 o~6`s soldered together.  Cut way down on the little guys, but still never caught nor had a hit from a big one.

yes, the thermocline typically sets up around 50 feet around the end of july and once it does the rainbows, salmon and lakers stack up around it and its much easier to target them.   But that lake holds some nice sized rainbows.  Every year i tend to catch a couple 6 lb'ers  but last year was a little slower than previous years.

Troller, you get salmon? Regrettably I have never gotten one out of Skan and have started to think they aren't there! (Or at least in any numbers) I saw a pic from a guy thinking he had gotten one but it was pretty clearly just a big bow and I didn't have the heart to say anything and be "that guy".