Musky Conservation ~ If you could do anything to everything ~ What would it be?

*Musky Conservation In General ~  Improved Natural Reproduction ~ Public Awareness ~ Etc.

* If you could do anything to everything, including every little "pet peeve" you personally have that you think, in the big picture, negatively effects Musky Conservation -  Natural Reproduction, list them here.

* Note - PLEASE THIS IS NOT A DEBATE !   Please do not attempt to argue with another persons opinion.  Example : someone may state "get rid of all jet ski's" and give reason's why and another has three jet skis besides their Musky boat and is inclined to argue……………  Its's not about that………………PLEASE do not reply to anyone in argumentative or debate fashion.   This is just about gathering data,thoughts.  If one wants to list "why" after………….let them………with out argument………who cares……….it's all for attempt in good and everyone has a right to their opinion.

If you want to list certain waters of your concern = go ahead if not = don't.

* Simple easy, full freedom, no arguing , debate's etc. 

* Chautauqua Lake

* I would appreciate it if bioligist studies on the natural reproduction of Musky were a) regularly scheduled b) more public access to, more public awareness made and findings posted vividly on the NYS DEC website along with NYS Chautauqua region vacation,things to do literature. 

* I would like to see a public awareness made regionally similar to Bald Eagle,Osprey,Great Blue Heron,Great Horned Owl's, etc.  BTW- The same could be said for Brook Trout and Lake Trout of the region.

* Shore line natural reproduction habitat ~ has taking a beating on Chautauqua.  NYS owns a fare amount now and is looking to buy more (my understanding).  Yet,  I don't see a substantial effort by the state to improve the natural shore line, over time, for natural Musky reproduction,spawning, on what they own now.  I would like to see that.

* Size keep limet = change to zero, put them all back imo.

* Litter, pollution, cigarette butts,cans,,etc. - more public awareness to even fines,  it has to subside.  I re-started smoking a couple years ago but, carry a butt can.  It takes approx. 8-10 years for a filtered cig butt to bio degrade.  Cans,trash,etc.  it Really fry's me!  I pick up trash and put in cans at some of the state,town owned public area's.  In particular Cheneys Pt is a pet peeve project of mine I took under my wing and correspond/work with the Town of North Harmony in regards to.  MORE PUBLIC AWARENESS AND OR FINES ARE NEEDED.   Added around the lake in recent years are some excellant  "entering Chautauqua Lake Watershed" conservation awareness signs.  More in regards to littler is needed.

* Gas,petro,oil, speed,size and quanity of power boats to jt ski's -  I don't know what can be done but, compared to 40 years ago in the mid 70's it is "night and day" worst.  The recreational boats are Much bigger and Much faster than ever,  jet ski's, etc.  The majority seems Much faster.  At times even the noise level from is annoying when your trying to enjoy the outdoors.  I can't imagine how much petro,oil is ending up in the lake from all this?  The lake gets all stored up.  I am not a biologist   but,  it can't be good for the Musky native reproduction nor stocked !  I wish there was a motor size /  speed limits enforced………….something !  In the 70s……the cabin cruisers………"cruised"……fishing boats were not freakin speed boats…………water ski boats were modest…….not huge, fast ,,,,,,,,,the louder the better and with boom boxes blair,  there were no jet skis !  A lot has changed - negatively.  Regulations are needed to down size the problem.  Besides the Musky and anglers in general……..I feel for the sailing crowd……I never got into it but always respected it……..speaking with some lately they can hardly get out on Chaut. and other lakes these days because of and often have to go in groups / pods…….strength in numbers……….sad.

* Video/Camera or other release -  Most Musky that are lifted from the water prior to release are lifted for a photo and/or measurement, from a hold pen net or hand.  It would be nice if technology brings down the costs of Go/Pro's, video and/or low cost,water proof camera's speeds became quicker and anglers excepted ~ simply video or photograph the musky in the pen net, hand,etc. in the water rather than lifting ~ as good enough - slip'ed the net hoop back over for release and hardly if at all touched the fish,left it in the water - were o.k. with just estimate the size,length and weight rather than needing to put on a board.  Ten years latter you would probably enjoy much more a one minute video clip from a Go Pro, friends hand held of the battle and water release than you would remember what it was like putting the 50 inches on the board for accurate measurement of 51 1/2" rather than approx 50"  Musky Tourneys are for conservation……….there are other ways to award than board,exact measurements…….which leave the fish in the water where it belongs.

*  Hooks -  Do we really need three sets of treb hooks on some plugs?  Isn't two more than enough?  Frankly,  I appreciate the jig,spinner bait,fly guys using one for C & R.

* State Volunteer Involvement -  NYS has to lighten up,  have some release forms at hand or something.  Plenty of people want to help volenteer with Musky stocking etc. but,  it's gotten to where………via state worries (law suits via injury etc.) ………they basically steer volunteers away…………..yet……….the state complains about not having enough fishery funds!  Get some release forms printed and ready ~ not liable,  there are plenty willing to help, volenteer NYS …….get your act together !  What did John F, Kennedy say huh ? !  "Its's not what your country can do for you but, what you can do for your country "  !!!!!   well……….damn it……..let us help !   it's as if your steering community service, envolvment away, now a days not just with fisheries but your parks and other…………….think about it ! 

Chautauqua Lake they need to quit cutting all the weeds in the lake, area's that have no boat docks, beach area's or even cottages should not be cut, leaving some fish habitat.Other areas can be cut in checker board leaving paths for boats to travel through, but square patches of weeds for the fish.The Hatchery needs to start raising muskie yearlings to 12 to 13 inches, raise less fish but stock bigger fish that survive better.Spawning habitat is a difficult problem on Chautauqua due to so much sitting around the edges of the lake, I believe the eggs drop into the silt and rot.Maybe areas of gravel can be placed in key spots then replant good weeds from the lake on those spots to build new spawning habitat.I hear different numbers all the time on what actual natural reproduction happens on Chautauqua Lake, some say 25 percent, others say less then 10 percent.Very hard to tell with large numbers of 3 1/2 inch muskie fingerings being dumped in every year without a clipped fin as the fed , pond reared fingerings have each year.Was the fish with no fins clipped a natural reproduction or one of the ones from smaller extra Hatchery fingerings dumped in?

It would be great if all fingerlakes were some how stocked with everything from walleye, ESOX, salmonoids, perch, crappie bass. Perhaps a break through that made it a reality to some how provide complete habitat maintenance, spawning management etc..As in the south I have seen reservoirs with man made fish habitats, boat launches that are 20 across. Technology and tracking advances that would paint more of a picture for all to really understand and get closer to the various species, their movements on each of the lakes. I have seen the shark tracker apps that provide futuristic windows into, what this could look like for those interested in tagged or chipped schools of fish or individuals. I think greater awareness brings about increased consciousness and consideration of that which lives below. I think it would be great to know about tagged massive individuals, such as lakers or musky, walleyes etc, many of which have very long lifespans. I imagine there is a balance on how many or how far this could be taken. I find it fascinating to learn about all the species and their preferred temperatures, the affect of night and day,moon phases, the clarity of water, light and wind and current conditions. The ways that Mother Nature ie biology handles dynamic conditions is very inspiring not only to find ways to catch them but to fully appreciate the endeavor.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United mobile app

"* Video/Camera or other release -  ....... in the water rather than lifting ~ as good enough - slip'ed the net hoop back over for release and hardly if at all touched the fish,left it in the water - were o.k. with just estimate the size,length and weight rather than needing to put on a board. Leave the fish in the water where it belongs."

This is great IN THEORY, but does not take in to consideration the musky anglers who fish OUT OF LARGER CRAFT, where it is impossible to even touch the water, due to higher transoms . 

Not everyone who musky fishes does so out of a small boat.  We need to net the fish and carefully handle them, to even unhook them. 

Interesting stuff here. I started using a butt can a few years ago after reading they leave chemicals in the water detrimental to fish. I always take the front treble of any bait that comes with 3, never hooked one on a front hook and it just makes a mess in the net. The hooks i leave on all have the barbs pinched off. As for water release it's not for me. I bust my tail for the few muskies i catch and i'm getting a photo unless it's a real dink. I use a go pro for this and get nice photos with the fish out of water about 10 seconds. I don't like jet skis or wake board boats with big stereos any more than any other fisherman but i respect their right to be on the water. I feel overall muskies have it pretty good with regulation,stocking,and angler attitude. Pike on the other hand get a raw deal in new york. If we had a limit of one a day and a 36" minimum we could all enjoy an amazing pike fishery on hundreds of waters and the cost to the state would be $00.

Id love to see a 40" minimum on tigers across the state, and old man is spot on with the pike.  We have PLENTY of pike in NY, but we are in dire need of quality pike.  Size restrictions and slot limits where necessary  are needed so fish can reach maturity.  I have no problem with harvesting as that is a personal choice, but letting fish reach maturity really would help.  If handled properly taking a fish out of the water for a pic is fine. Id rather not measure them at least when the water warms up, but again it has to be a personal choice.  Most of the tigers we get are a by product of walleye fishing so Im not gonna be removing any hooks or barbs, but if I was targetting muskies exclusively Id go that way.

I like some of the ideas posted and I'm not a fan of some of them. But, as the original poster requested, I will not debate.

Specific to Chautauqua: I'd like to see something done about the blue/green algae problem that seems to be getting worse. I'm not educated on the subject and don't know if there are any solutions, but I don't remember it being anywhere near as bas as it's been the last few years. I'm fairly certain I've gotten sick the last two falls from fishing the lake in this crap.

post-150846-1405089266528_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Nice stuff by all 

Its good to read the little pet peavies we all have too.  It helps put things in perspective including some of the explanations which made sense after I read them.

Regardless how it's achieved > primarily I am a for natural reproduction , particularly in native waters.  Locally,  I question at times whether certain NYS employee's and the local historic hatchery feel the same any more or if they are more concerned with keeping their job's.  It seems no one really has a even fairly accurate, factual number for the percentage of Chautauqua Musky in Chautauqua Lake that are natural/wild versus tank raised >  Thats troubleing and makes me raise an eyebrow of question in regards to.