Summer Eyes, St Lawrence

EsoxAC3

Any thoughts or tips on fishing summer eyes on the St Lawrence near Clayton? Advice on productive tactics and techniques very much appreciated. Thank you all!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I frequently fish the near Alexandria Bay and have many posts over the years on fishing the river. There are many techniques that work. Black bucktails tipped with a piece of worm, worm and spinners off bottom bouncers, jigging spoons, trolling with down riggers, deep diving cranks or heavy bottom bouncers can all be effective. Fish current breaks in 20-40 fow ( 30-35 seems to be best for me)  and look for pods of bait. It's not easy fishing and requires some practice as you are often fishing in heavy current with a changing bottom contour and usually need to be near bottom so  expect to loose some gear to zebra mussel cut offs. I also do better fishing in low light conditions and often do well at night when no one is on the water.send me a pm if you want to get additional information.

fish down there as often as I can. It is different from small lake for sure. I have had my best trips on bottom bouncers and a worm harness even though I would much rather jig for walleys. I have just stared trying Kevins method of BB with a crankbait. I will be going tonight I will keep you posted with what I used if I have any luck. Just when you think you got it figured out down there it throws you a curve and it seems like you have to start right from scratch and learn all over. Good luck

Fished tonight from about 6:30 til around 9:30 caught around a 6lbs northern 2 smallies and 1 gobie. They were allcaught on a homemade worm harness green with gold French blade. I never hooked a walleye tried several spots boat traffic was heavier than normal for a fri. night also tried BB with # 11 black and gold rapala never caught a fish on that set up all fish were taken in around 30 to 45 fow. I would troll with current with a 3oz BB and harness then troll against the current with around 6oz BB and rapala. Try and keep you posted on the nite bite when I start doing something with the eyes. Good luck

Thanks again for the words of wisdom Kevin and Trapper. Trolled for 3.5 hrs yesterday evening with my uncle, cousin, and a family friend. Boated a nice 7lb eye and a 33" northern. Caught the eye on a planer board with a 7" bronze colored reef runner in about 35fow. A lot of funpost-155409-14056465520342_thumb.jpgpost-155409-14056465814571_thumb.jpg!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United