Wanted Still looking for a Penn Yan Predator or Prowler, 1995 or newer

Looking for a Penn Yan Predator, Prowler or Rampage, 1996 or newer, inboard, one that hasn't been chartered, a trailer would be great. Looking to purchase in the NY, PA area. Fresh water use  prefer. If you don't know of one, don't knock yourself out looking for one as I've been looking for 2 years, nearly every day online, even took a ride around Sodus 2 weeks ago.

I look at TJ"s Penn Yan Boats site every day. I look at Boat Trader, Craigslist, Boats.com etc. I have about 20 sites I go to.

Between my wife & I, we have the internet pretty much covered. But if you have a friend, neighbor, a marina or saw one along the road, that's what I cannot see.

I looked at the Rampage in MD

I know about the 1990 Predator in Cape Vincent

I know about the 1992 Prowler in Sodus

I know about the 1996 Predator in Henderson and they're asking to much $$

I also saw the 1990 Penn Yan prowler 295 - $17500 (Barcelona harbor. Thanks Mark

When I find one, there will be a 1989 Penn Yan 257 Aggressor for sale, maintained by Mike's Marina in Mexico

Thank you ALL for looking

Greg

Edited by Patriot

Patriot:

There was one in Vermillion OH at a place called Freeman Eckley.

Looked at it in January. Overall nice shape, but does have

the need for some stringer/transom work. They estimated

at 4K.

John

Yes the Sweet Jane needs stringers and transom work, 4k repair bill is not even close!!!!! I called on that boat, they would send me the estimate. That repair I have been told is between 12-18k.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Rich/Patriot....

Yes...Sweet jane. Marine estimate, no lie, that day was $4000. I talked to my friends

at Happy Days, they said, sight unseen...double it...then I checked on atlantic towers for

a rocket launcher...and that was $2500.....decided to pass, but at the time, asking price

was $17.000+

Just a note to all PY owners:

If your strings are NICE AND DRY, be sure to seal the wood around the weep holes with something. I used silicone. You could go as far as fiberglassing them.

A simple thhing like this could save you thousands in replacement or repairs of the stringers.

I can't believe Penn Yan took that shortcut. They must have known what would happen

Just a note to all PY owners:

If your strings are NICE AND DRY, be sure to seal the wood around the weep holes with something. I used silicone. You could go as far as fiberglassing them.

A simple thhing like this could save you thousands in replacement or repairs of the stringers.

I can't believe Penn Yan took that shortcut. They must have known what would happen

Yup. I have actually used a 2" hole saw on all of the holes and epoxied the snot out of them.

Being partial to Baha's you should consider the one for sale on here.  If it is sound and does not have the M4A Volvo transmissions it is a better boat!  Yea I said it Penny owners LOL!!!  Dont send the lynch mob!  You will not here the hollow sound the hull makes when a wave hits it.  Seating arrangement for a cooler on deck is better.  Taller gunnels as well.  The only thing you would need to add is oversize rudders. But you would have to do it on the Penny anyway. There is not a better trolling boat in the trough. There is also more deck space square footage.

Edited by Tall Tails

Being partial to Baha's you should consider the one for sale on here.  If it is sound and does not have the M4A Volvo transmissions it is a better boat!  Yea I said it Penny owners LOL!!!  Dont send the lynch mob!  You will not here the hollow sound the hull makes when a wave hits it.  Seating arrangement for a cooler on deck is better.  Taller gunnels as well.  The only thing you would need to add is oversize rudders. But you would have to do it on the Penny anyway. There is not a better trolling boat in the trough. There is also more deck space square footage.

That's a fairy tale told by a Baha owner! Lol

There will always be haters!  Most dont know Tiara's rot in the forward cabin windows.  Sea Rays rot on the seam in the bow and there stringers are worse then Baha's but a Baha is a poor mans yacht and has gotten more press.  I know just as many Pennys that have rotted as Sportcrafts and Baha's and Sea Rays.  It is just what guys want to be honest about.  Next time you are at the marina stop over to my boat I will show you a couple very solid hulls in a Baha and then we can take a walk and I can show you some boats that have had some serious work done.  Your jaw will drop! Oh and bring your tape measure!  

Edited by Tall Tails

There will always be haters!  Most dont know Tiara's rot in the forward cabin windows.  Sea Rays rot on the seam in the bow and there stringers are worse then Baha's but a Baha is a poor mans yacht and has gotten more press.  I know just as many Pennys that have rotted as Sportcrafts and Baha's and Sea Rays.  It is just what guys want to be honest about.  Next time you are at the marina stop over to my boat I will show you a couple very solid hulls in a Baha and then we can take a walk and I can show you some boats that have had some serious work done.  Your jaw will drop! Oh and bring your tape measure!  

Chill! Chill!....I don't hate? Just having some fun. Should have said just a "Tall Tail" from a Baha owner. Lol. I wouldn't dispute what you said for a minute. All boats have their problems and some more than others. I will take you up on that "walk" the next time I'm up at Wright's so you can point some things out to me.

Edited by MikeyP

Mike as a Baha owner I certainly took NO offense to your humorous comment, LMAO. They all have their good and bad, we all know that. I was thinking if anyone on this site could find this gentleman his new ride, it would be you with your extensive knowledge of Penn Yans.

Greg, not looking for a finders fee but I just pm'd you a contact of an unlisted Prowler for a decent price, if you end up buying it I will take a complimentary "Casey" (about 8 bucks)

Just my .02: I've owned 2 Penn Yans in the last 7 years and have about 800 trips on them, I've also put numerous hours on many vessels from the 80's till the mid 00's, in excess of 1000 over that time alone, Baha, Tiara, Sportcraft, Cherokee, Egg Harbor, Wellcraft, Starcraft, Lund etc etc and the list goes on. One of the first few boats I worked on was a newer Prowler in the early 90's, I have compared every boat to it ever since for whatever reason. Many Penn Yans are not perfect and I even feel there area few design flaws that should of been addressed but all vessel's will have their issues. Just something about a Penn Yan that keeps their owners satisfied with the expenditure. (:

Tom

We all like to do a little PR for our favorite brand.  Good Luck with your search and remember everything is for sale at the right price if you see a vessel you like.  I know a guy who stole a gorgeous Tiara just by asking the owner a few quick questions.  I didnt mean to hijack your thread.

I currently own a PY and have had it since 1992. Time is on my side as there are no problems with it. Am I partial? Yes but my second choice WOULD be a Baha.

You guys are going to love this! It’s my wife that wants another boat!

Am I going to say NO? Heel no! The most important thing is to keep her happy, right?