July 11th – We had the pleasure of displaying what Lake Ontario has to offer to Niklas from Sweden. We headed out around 2pm with low expectations for the first few hours, but once the rods were in we turned a double in no time. We worked the waters between 130-170’ right out front.

Our wire diver cracked over out 200’, and as I ran for that rod the Cannon out and down right next to it started throbbing! Dreamweaver Gator Spin Doctor/A-TOM-MIK Green Crinkle went on the diver, and a Legendary Smartface 2 Face/A-TOM-MIK Hijacker went on the rigger down 100’. That’s how the night would go. We doubled once more, but Niklas got to experience a King on a 500 copper, a wire diver, and on a rigger rod. Our Familiar Bite herring strips were very productive on our 500 Copper rod, and our deep Cannon out and down.

It was cool to see the excitement pour out of Niklas every time a King hit the deck of our boat. Fist pumps, and a little bit of cheering. He told us at the end of the trip he wasn’t expecting to catch that many, and just one Chinook would have made his trip.

MG_0949_zpsjztievs3.jpg

IMG_20140711_173531321_zpsto18ikd5.jpg

IMG_20140711_182109585_zpsrhiayepu.jpg

July 12th Morning – Leg two of the King of the Oak series, and with a new group we left the dock around 5:15am. It wasn’t long and we were into Kings in the 130-160’ range! Our bite from 6am to 8:30am was insane! 13 King bites by 8:30 (3 or 4 were skippers)! Although there was a ton of action all our Kings seemed to run in the 8-14lb range. Our 500 copper and our divers out 150-175’ were studs with Familiar Bite herring strips. We also had a Dreamweaver Hammertime Spin Doctor going with an A-TOM-MIK Hammer fly on our Cannon out and down.

After 8:30 it went to a slow pick. We slid into 115’ around noon, and whacked three more Salmon on a 150’ diver. Rumor had it there weren’t many Salmon being taken, so we had high hopes of placing in the event, but when the fish hit the scales our fish just didn’t have the weight. We lacked a kicker fish.

IMG_20140712_062615124_HDR_zpsxxudqic6.j

IMG_20140712_070544255_HDR_zpsouaxar6j.j

IMG_20140712_132410806_zps7b2llxby.jpg

July 12th Evening – Our afternoon group chose to fish Brown Trout when given the choice. There were some great Brown Trout catches earlier in the day, and given the slow Salmon pick we said what the heck! We worked 35-55’ of water depending on water temps, and for three hours all we could muster up were a Lake Trout and two dropped Brown Trout.

With two other boats trying the same thing, and little to no action, we changed plans and slid out for some Salmon. We worked the 110-130’ area from the Flats back to the Oak, and were able to hit two really nice Chinook! One fish came on a 100’ Cannon out and down, and the other took a 175’ diver. Both of which were pulling Familiar Bite herring strips. These fish would have been really nice to grab in the morning! They both were in the low 20 pound range.

IMG_20140712_201021142_HDR_zpssck4j4fg.j

IMG_20140712_201001900_HDR_zpspdjaknqh.j

July 13th – We left the dock with the same guys that took the two big Kings the night before, and we had high expectations for the morning. Unfortunately, we went 2.5 hours without a touch! It got real frustrating! Finally a Mag Dremweaver Sea Sick Waddler took a ride on our 100’ Cannon out and down. The bite started to materialize after that, and we would go on to pick up four Kings, four Lake Trout, and a Brown Trout. The other Salmon took a Legendary SmartFish 2 Face/A-TOM-MIK Hijacker, and Familiar Bite herring strips. Mostly a diver and Copper bite. Tough day, but we managed to put some meat in the cooler!

IMG_20140713_082453105_HDR_zpsldfkbogm.j

IMG_20140713_090057529_zpsqzzfjghf.jpg

What appears to be interesting Rick from what I can tell all or most of those fish appear to be wild. I've been watching with interest lately at pics from fishing reports that folks get a bunch of Salmon and most or all seem to be either all wild or all stockers....wondering if they don't mix together well in their perspective wolf packs. What are you and the other Capt's experiencing in that regard? Usually a mixed bag? or a trend in one or the other when you get on a school of active fish.

I don't spend a lot of time targeting kings in rivers , but lately my experience has been a solid run of fish appear to be one or the other, and personally haven't seen the wild and stocked fish all mingled together.

What appears to be interesting Rick from what I can tell all or most of those fish appear to be wild. I've been watching with interest lately at pics from fishing reports that folks get a bunch of Salmon and most or all seem to be either all wild or all stockers....wondering if they don't mix together well in their perspective wolf packs. What are you and the other Capt's experiencing in that regard? Usually a mixed bag? or a trend in one or the other when you get on a school of active fish.

I don't spend a lot of time targeting kings in rivers , but lately my experience has been a solid run of fish appear to be one or the other, and personally haven't seen the wild and stocked fish all mingled together.

I generally don't pay attention to the clips Dave. I have a had time trusting the clipping effort on both sides of the pond. If I can remember correctly I'm almost positive there was a bunch of Canadian fish that went in without getting clipped.

Scott, DEC I know had clipped VS non clipped fish last fall on their data collection from Spawning fish in Oct. . Dr Mike Cotterton I thought started the trailor in the spring of 2010 or 09. Not that it would be noticable so much in the lake fishery, but I've started to take notice that wild fish seem to be more tolerable of warmer water and make early runs on the Salmon. Aug fish I've caught have their adipose fins, and I personally don't see as many clipped fish till later in the fall.

I'm always interested in fish behavior especially if there is a distinct difference in classes of origins of which, in this case if and how naturally spawned fish may act or be different then hatchery raised.

A-Lure-A...no not talking about the Genny ...although I did catch a non clipped fish in there in Oct of 2012 on the swing up by the powerhouse that acted and fought like no other fly caught king salmon I have ever hooked.....jumping all over the place cartwheeling like a steelhead or Atlantic salmon.

Hey Rick didn't mean to hijack your thread

Last year we were getting mixed adipose present/ adipose not present schools.  As stated by Silver Fox, we are seeing the end of the adipose clipping experiment for now.  I don't think Kings are discriminating against each other based on presence of adipose fins.

A-Lure-A...no not talking about the Genny ...although I did catch a non clipped fish in there in Oct of 2012 on the swing up by the powerhouse that acted and fought like no other fly caught king salmon I have ever hooked.....jumping all over the place cartwheeling like a steelhead or Atlantic salmon.

Hey Rick didn't mean to hijack your thread

No worries Dave. It's an honest question. As for that King at the Genny they do that when you hook them in the rear end!

Nice fishing Rick! Was worth the wait for the lake to set up a bit and not spend piles of gas money out to 550 fow! You have kept everyone happy in between without a doubt! Good job all around!

Mark

cent frum my notso smart fone

Nice fishing rick. Good to see the kings are hitting everywhere finally.

I thought I heard dec say they are not clipping anymore? I even think the nose tags are out. Natural reproduction can account for between 20 and 60% of the Kings, depending on the year... At least that is roughly the estimate I remember hearing?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

We took a bunch of shots saturday on 300 copper pulling familiar bite meat strips including one absolute screamer that we dropped. That was our most productive rig by far

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app