A Question on Motors

longbow

So my Opti is getting repaired at Power Marine.  Now the owner of PM leaves a mssg on my house phone and emails me to call him to tell me what he has found inside the motor.  Which I assume is not a good thing seeing how's he hasn't called me at all before.  So my question is how much would one be willing to sink into a motor to fix it that is a high end motor like this?  I've no experience with motors such as these.  It was a crate motor that the previous owner put on in 06 but it was an 01 motor and certified via Mercury Marine as being new and unused via  notarized documents.  I'll be honest here and doing research on these Opti's they don't seem all that reliable.But when it was running it would push my Pro Line very very well.  Surprisingly so and it was very quiet.  Trolled excellent too with sea bags and I kid you not.  

It seems Opti's are big bucks even used as compared to Johnson's and Yamaha's but I've read that especially Yamaha's are very reliable.  So opinions needed. Granted don't know what is wrong yet but I am assuming the worst.  Now there is a 39' Sportfisherman for sale down at the river for what I consider a reasonable price, I could sell our place at Hughes, my boat etc. and probably pay for this 39 footer!  Just kiddin, sort of.  Crap

Well an Opti is a direct injected motor. I know Rick at power marine and he is a great mechanic. The problem with buying a motor the way you did is storage. Seals dry up and things shrink and if it wasn't properly winterized with the ethanol gas in the injectors that can cause serious issues. Regardless that Option is still cheaper to fix than a Yamaha or Honda. I purchased a boat this spring which had 30hours on each power head and after a month dumped $45,000 on 2 new E Tec's cause they were not taken care from the winter plus the previous owner left 85 gallons of bad gas in it to start. See what he says but when it comes to any direct injected motor the repairs aren't usually cheap. Good Luck

Yea have to wait and talk to him and the suspense is killin me!  This has always used marine gas as is my understanding.  I've filled it twice since I bought it and both times filled it with Hughes 91 octane marine fuel.  Worst case I am looking at a new power head I figure and I think the 225's are interchangeable between years.  And from what I have gleaned later as in post 05 power heads are better than the earlier ones.  Don't know why that would be but from what I've read that appears to be the case.  thanks

Well got the news today.  Boat motor is irreparable, or not financially feasible to repair the engine.  Holy crap, I am bummed

Edited by longbow

Definitely not good news. That being said though the good news is every motor manufacturer is offering some great incentives but in the end isn't gonna be cheap.

Nah not cheap for sure.  Don't which way to go, stick with a later used Merc or Evinrude or Yamahopper.  Either way I have about 10g's to play with.  thanks

10 g should be a good down payment on a new motor. If i was gonna repower mine it would be new and that f200 from yamaha looks nice with 4 cylinder and a digital throttle.

Nice to have a warranty for peace of mind too. I know payments are a decision but if the boat is payed for and you like it the way it is set up, a new motor make you fall in love with your old boat all over again. After all it is the engine that makes it a sportfishing boat that you can rely on. Everything else is much more manageable as far as equipment goes. I hate when the motor won't run. Then there is no fishing at all on that boat.

A used motor I'd be worried about the reason it's traded. Hope you find a solution to get your ride back on the water reliably. ..

Mark

cent frum my notso smart fone

Not to try and sway you but I am not an Evinrude guy at all but I just put twin 200HO E Tecs on my boat and I have to say I am quite impressed. They sip the fuel and as for power they are unbelievable. On my previous boat I had that new 4 stroke 150 from Mercury and that was amazing as well but nothing like these 2 I have now. With both in gear I am trolling at 2.0mph which is perfect cause I just have to give it a little here and there to keep my speed.

Thinking of the going the looper motor route.  What I am looking for is reliability.  The cost of fixing the Opti is astronomical.  And they are sensitive engines and I don't know zip about them.  Carburator engines I know a bit about.  Simple is better I am thinking and like Rick said they run forever.  Not as good on gas but I have kicker now for trolling so running out and trolling back how much gas will ya use?  Plus I basically don't want to spend a ton of money on something that is seasonal use at best.  What I can spend and what I want to spend are two different stories all together.  If I was younger and I was as rabid of a fisherman as some of my friends at Hughes I might think other wise. Another thing to consider is the boat itself.  It is old but in great condition.  I will never  get the return investment out of a high end engine on an older boat as this, where as an older reliable engine and old reliable boat might make more sense if and when I decide to trade it in.  I do know I am tired of looking on line at a myriad of sites for a fix to this.  No simple solution.  thanks 

I've been following an outboard rebuilder from Western PA on EBay and watching what he has available for when I get ready to pull the trigger on my repower. He has awesome reviews and the motors are completely redone. When the time comes for me to pull the trigger, I am positively going with one of his motors. Here are a couple that he has right now that might suit your needs and will also fall within your budget:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-MERCURY-OUTBOARDS-OPTIMAX-200HP-ANOTHER-CLEAN-FRESH-WATER-MOTOR-1-YR-WARR-/161369899810

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-EVINRUDE-OUTBOARD-Etec-200-HO-High-Output-SALTWATER-SERIES-/111410262038

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-EVINRUDE-OUTBOARD-ETec-250-hp-25-1-Yr-WARR-BUY-WITH-CONFIDENCE-/111409953579

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-YAMAHA-OUTBOARD-250-OX66-SaltwaterSeries-II-1-Yr-WARRANTY-/161279856291

Yup..that's a good option..engines are new right down to the decals and paint. Only thing old is the model...no big deal.

I like the 2002 yamaha OX 66 for less than 7 grand. I have one and it is a reliable power house 2 stroke! Not fussy on oil can use 17 dollar cabelas or penzoil instead of 38 dollar yamaha oil....I didn't think yamaha owned any refineries anyway..so..what the heck!.

cent frum my notso smart fone

The guy in western PA has so so reviews and I know he was investigated by some states attorney general.  I've talked to him on the phone and they seem like a good deal BUT I know for a fact that if you search the INET about him his reviews are less than stellar.  That is the thing holding me back from doing this.  Rick at PW doesn't have a good opinion of him.  So there ya go.  

I hear you, but in my opinion I believe in weighing the EBay ratings most heavily because reviews are submitted for each transaction, instead of internet forums where people are only going to go out of their way to write the bad stuff online. Someone who does a lot of business is going to have some negative online reviews. I don't know the company, but since it's not too far away and I know I would be back on their doorstep if I had a problem, I would personally give it a shot.

Do a search on "the hulltruth". Less than stellar reviews for sure. blackbird did post a letter from a satisfied customer, Jim Rutter of PA. I do know the man, and he was completely satisfied with the motor he bought. Although he did need to bring it back for a repair. Another fellow I know wasn't happy at all. Seems the motor he bought was pieced together from different years. A nightmare to get parts for when needed. 

Edited by Shellback

Bought a motor so good to go.  The big things I considered were reliability, having it serviced or being able to have it serviced, close to Hughes(the dealer is minutes away), and something that would match my boat.  Both kind of in age and power.  So went with a 225 Johnson, Ocean Runner, rebuilt from the ground up with a warranty that will more than likely carry me through to the end of the season.  It didn't make sense to me to put a higher end motor on an older boat.  Just not going to get money out of it for what it is worth.  Anyways might be in the water again by next weekend, we'll see.  thanks for all the input

Just a comment about the Merc Optimax. They did have a powerhead issue back in 2000 or so and in fact they gave an additional 2 years warrantee on the motors during the 2002 time frame. All in all they are great motors and aside from the old 2 stroke 50 hp Mercs probably one of the best motors Merc has ever turned out. Hard telling what kind of use yours had before you got it or how long it sat after use without servicing etc. Like any fine tuned tool they have to be religiously taken care of and should only be run with the Opti certified synthetic oil (expensive but so are engine repairs).

That was the good thing about Johnsons during the time OMC was headed to bankruptcy, the Johnsons were the line that didn't get the high end stuff that caused major engine failure and fires on Evinrudes. 

I kinda wish I would have seen this to weigh in on Blackbird.

I had a personal dealing with them a few years back when my buddy's 115 Merc(the good kiekhaefer mercs) puked a cylinder.  They rebuilt it for him.  Took forever as the pistons are no longer made, but the thing has functioned somewhat perfectly since.  We did have an issue that the stator fried the first time we took it out.  I can't pin them to the wall as the culprits.  But their shop is not the tidiest place on the face of the planet.  I always felt that they probably grabbed one that was laying around when they put his motor back together.  I can't really complain though, when we took it back they installed a new one while we waited.  Sucked having to go back a second time but they made it right.

I would use them again in a heartbeat, with one stipulation.  Either spring for their same day service(then they can't loose parts) or just take them a block and have them machine it, then I can reassemble it then it's my fault if I loose parts.