Fish Hawk Question

I just installed a Fish Hawk triducer and because I have a kicker, I had to mount it on the same side as my FF transducer. It worked great until I hit deeper water and lowered the probe, then the readings were all screwed up. I'm thinking that perhaps the angle of the triducer is wrong and blowback is causing the probe to be too far back and out of range for the triducer to read? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

If it's the ff transducer, check it by turning off the ff and see if it changes your reading on the x4.

You won't find me putting my probe on anything other than my rigger cable, definitely not a fishing rod.

Me either!!!!!!!!  I just know it can be done.  I snagged my probe rigger last night briefly and almost had a heart attack.  Never worried before I had the probe.  I have lots of cable and downrigger weights, but the probe is a bit more pricey!

In all honesty, I doubt it will read if you hook the probe to any junk rod or dipsy. If it had a cone angle to read a 100' or more behind the boat, you would get interference from other boats you fish near. Perhaps they meant the Fish Hawk TD?

Hi all, sorry for not responding earlier, I just returned from a week of fishing out of Oak Orchard Creek last week. I think I resolved the issue as the Fish Hawk X4D performed flawlessly. Initially, I installed the triducer as per the instructions but because I had to tilt the Fish Finder transducer down or forward a bit to get the diagonal lines representing fish to turn into those upside down bananas or hooks that we see on our Fish Finders, I figured I should tilt that FH triducer in the same way. I'm not sure but I think with 20 or more feet of blowback, the probe was out of the triducer's range. So before I launched, I tilted it back to where it was when we installed it and it seemed to work fine. Now if I had just followed the instructions to begin with,....Dummy!

About a month ago, we fished the same area and I bought a FH TD, found 50 degrees up high, fished it and caught a few small Kings. Went out the next day, attached it to the ball and then watched the cable break and our brand new TD, a 14 lb ball, brand new Chamberlain Release and the Cannon Short Stop sink to the bottom. I went back to Narby's and bought the FH X4D. 

Yesterday, my son pulled his IPhone out of his pocket, fumbled it and dropped it overboard. Fishing was tough last week but we caught a few and a nice 10 lb Brown brought a smile to his face after losing his phone.

Thank you all for helping...I love this place!

The guy I fished with years ago had a fish Hawk we were fishing out in front of river when pole bent to water was about to pull it out of the holder when realized the rigger cable was slack and whole mess was hanging on the rod off the release tried easin it in but it was choppy and release come off. I wonder how many are laying on the bottom?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Thun, 

Don't feel bad about the phone, Last week in Erie my wife lost hers out of her shirt pocket while setting a drift bag,  down it went...  also lost a line counter rod when the planer line grabbed it.. ya long week there.

not the first and wont be the last, some just don't admit it.

Rick

Ouch, I think I'm going to buy a couple of floating waterproof phone pouches and keep them on the boat. Luckily, he backed up all the info he had except photos and he's back in business with a new one. Someday we'll laugh about it!

Hi all, sorry for not responding earlier, I just returned from a week of fishing out of Oak Orchard Creek last week. I think I resolved the issue as the Fish Hawk X4D performed flawlessly. Initially, I installed the triducer as per the instructions but because I had to tilt the Fish Finder transducer down or forward a bit to get the diagonal lines representing fish to turn into those upside down bananas or hooks that we see on our Fish Finders, I figured I should tilt that FH triducer in the same way. I'm not sure but I think with 20 or more feet of blowback, the probe was out of the triducer's range. So before I launched, I tilted it back to where it was when we installed it and it seemed to work fine. Now if I had just followed the instructions to begin with,....Dummy!

We're having the same problems you were, but haven't had a chance to adjust the transducer. Was yours aimed straight down, and now you have it aimed back and away from the boat (following the blow back), or vice versa? Just trying to figure out what to do when I get up to my Dad's boat this weekend. Any help would be appreciated. Can't wait for our 5 days on the water!

L.J.

When I installed the triducer, I followed the instructions exactly as they were written. The triducer was positioned with the bottom flush or level if you will, with the water surface. Then I stood back and admired my handiwork and noticed that I had tilted the FF transducer down or back to get those hooks to show up as fish. I should have stopped right there but being a dummy, I figured I'd tilt the FH triducer the same way. That was what screwed up the readings for me. Follow the instructions and increase the gain or sensitivity if need be. Good luck.

I do not have a fh yet bit planning on one for my next major purchase for next year. Reading these posts makes me believe that I also need to invest in some heavier dr weights as right now I am running 8 and 10 lb weights! Talk about blowback!

I lost my fish hawk probe that I boght this spring when I got hung up trolling fast up in maine with a novice troller. Not thinking when we hung up I took one rigger and he took the one with the probe. He tried to crank it up, yes manual riggers, there it went. So pissed. I recoverd my ball by letting cable out and putting the boat in reverse. Why the break away cable didn't go I'll never know. I ended that trip early. Came back to. Ny and fished twice on champlaian with out it and was not getting nearly the fish as with it. After only having it for a couple of months it has become one of themost important parts of my rig. Just can' t afford a new one right now. It was a $400 loss that day if you add up the ball, release, terminator, and probe.