Fish Hawk Question

My family was giving me BassPro gift cards for birthdays and such and I was saving them for a Fish Hawk. Then I found out there was a newer X4D, so thinking why buy the X4 when the X4D is available, I waited and tried to buy it from BassPro. But for some reason, I couldn't, even though they do sell the X4? I finally broke down and bought the X4D from a local shop at Point Breeze and I'm glad I bought the newer version. I watched the ball raise and lower a foot or so when I'd turn or the currents were strong. I was using 12 lb balls and always had 20' of blowback. At one point I noticed the temp drop 4 degrees when the ball dropped a foot on a turn. I also noticed the balls on my FF but they were a consistent 15' lower than the probe was registering? I'll be using 14 lb'ers from now on.

This past week was the first time I ever fished with the Fish Hawk in action ( Finsntins boat).....very impressed.....now to convince the admiral my tub is not complete without one... :lol:  

I was fishing out of Olcott 2 weeks ago in 4-5ft waves. I had just installed a new Fishhawk X4D. My readings were all over the place. Also lost communication a lot with the probe. Can terrible waves and the boat thrashing all over the place cause goofy speed readings and poor connection with the probe?

A question Trevor Sumption asked me when I emailed him for advice was, is the Fish Hawk transducer mounted outside of the Fish Finder transducer? He also said that if the FH worked at 90', it should work down deeper. If there's interference, it will be constant. And, "The transducer should be essentially level with the surface of the water and flush with the bottom of the boat. The elements inside the transducer and probe are pre-tilted to compensate for blowback. My suspicion is that as the probe pulls back further we are trying to send the signal through your propwash which is scrambling it up." Then he asked for a picture to confirm his suspicions. My problem was not following the instructions.

[email protected]