Effed up starter bolt hole 4 cyl inboard

tpsball

Went to replace the starter on my omc 3,0 L and the inside starter hole had been previously drilled out and badly done! There was never a bolt in this hole for the 3 years I've had the boat, it was shimmed up on the outside with a washer. How it worked this long is beyond me. They drilled the hole out and inserted a helicoil. I removed the helicoil and tried tapping the hole out correctly but no go! I would guess the angle is approx 20 degrees. Other than pulling the motor out I'm not sure what to do next. And, if I pull this motor out I want to get rid of this under powered 4 cyl and go to a 4.3. Does anybody have any ideas on fixing the bolt hole problem or going bigger? It's a 1988 bayliner trophy 2160 hardtop, I'm pretty sure the 4.3 and 5.0 were options. Thanks in advance.

Could drill it out and install a larger thread diameter bolt? I guess it would also depend if there's enough meat on the stater flange to drill for a larger bolt. Maybe even get a machine shop to make a stepped stud. Larger diameter to go into the bell housing, and the smaller diameter for the starter.

I am going.to re drill out the hole and put a solid insert, like that one using a jig to properly align the hole. Ive never had a lit of power from this boat but it has always been rock solid for trolling. 3 years and no problems at all. If I have to pull this motor to fix it, I want to repower with a 4.3L just need to kmow if the motor mounts will line up? The 4.3 and 5.0 were options in the Bayliner Trophy 2160. Anybody do this before? Thanks, Big D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Good luck, let me know how the repower goes.  I have a 3.7 that I would love to drop a 4.3 or 5.0 in place of.  Never wanted to go there cause you'll need to replace everything, not just the block.  I think you might  even need to replace the outdrive, don't quote me on that.  I think the gear ratios are different between the 3.0 and the 3.7 and 4.3.  Definitely different than the 5.0.