Anyone run an Fishhawk X 4 probe on the old 840 display?

I am wondering if anyone uses a new Fishhawk X 4 probe with the older 840 display and old triducer.

I have tried to use the old 840 probe once in awhile but it doesn't read, I have a manual and have made several adjustments to gain etc. with no luck. I can get the red led light to flash in the probe when the battery is connected but not sure if it is staying lit or "on" when the probe goes in the water.  I am just curious if the  transducer ever dies?  I have had an experience needing to replace an older Lowrance transducer for my LMS 480 and it reads great after replacement with a new dual frequency transducer.   I don't want to buy an X 4 probe and have a bad triducer.  The currently installed fishhawk ducer will give water temp but not surface speed (which I am not concerned with), I have  Moor speed and temp but the probe has died, so I am exploring my options.

Edited by FLXTroutman

I have, works with no issues if needed, but I have the newer display as my main.  Heres a simple test that the guy from fish hawk had me do to see if my old probe was shot (or in other words was going to have to buy a new X4).

Have a good 9 volt, make sure the light is blinking, put the flat round spot facing upwards on your jaw bone.  You should feel a slight click vibration evry few seconds.  This apparently denotes the probe sending the signal.  If its not clicking, even though the red light is blinking, its shot.

Hope this helps.

I have an x-4 mated to the old 840 head. Down speed and down temp transmits fine. Surface speed not working but that's a separate issue and of no import to me.

New head looks great though, I will upgrade eventually and waste $ just to have big numbers and sleek looks.

I bought my fishhawk 840 used in 1997 and it worked flawlessly until 3 years ago when it started losing signal. I purchased a new x4 probe at that time and it has worked rock solid since. I would bet that a new probe would solve your problem. That being said, my next purchase will be the new display, as my eyes cant quite see the numbers on the 840 as well as they used to. The ducers on these are quite reliable as long as they haven't been abused. Airmar makes them.

HTH's

Cheers...Jake

I'm having the sane problem as light blinks but noting to the screen. I also don't have surface speed. I just bought a new probe for the Moor but haven't been able to use it yet. I would like the 840 to work also so I'll try what was mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

One thing you may want to check is if you carefully open the back of your 840 head unit there is 4 dip switches make sure they are all down and try re setting the unit to factory gain. Here I's a link to an original manual.

http://www.fishhawkelectronics.com/documents/Fish_Hawk_840_Manual.pdf

I'm havering a problem with only my down temp everything works but my down temp doesn't read properly because I know it's not. 65 degrees down 120 in lake o where I fish right now I think I have a bad probe

Thanks for the input guys.  Frogger I tried placing the flat spot of the probe on my chin and did not feel anything. So that is telling me the probe is dead. Interesting note, I swam off the back of my boat yesterday after I tried your test and when I got close enough to my sonar transducer I could feel and hear the clicks from that ducer.  I may just call Northwoods Outlet and order the X4 probe based on all your experiences with good compatiblity.  Thank you LOU members.

No problem troutman, hope you make out. It took me a bit to feel the click noise( actually had to borrow signalmans) to test but once you get the feel of it you easily get the sense of it going through the jaw. I know it's pricy but compare prices, you may want to, if you can get the whole deal with the new display as well and a new trans to boot.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

I received my new X4 probe Saturday from Northwoods Outlet, best price anywhere, you have to call them and order over the phone because they cannot advertise the prices on the internet.  I ran it today Sunday on Canandaigua Lake and it worked great.  Believe it or not there are lots of currents on the FLX.  Kudos to Northwoods Outlet in Pinconning, MI, NO NYS SALES TAX (SUCK IT CUOMO) google them they have Bert's products, downriggers, rods and reels, and the Fishhawk line of speed and temp probes INCLUDING the X4 D system.

The only side effect of Frogger's test is that now his eyes display the temp and speed every time he opens them out on the water :lol:

Edited by Sk8man

I was fighting in making the 840 display and the X4 probe talk for +2 years.

(I only use the system maybe 2-3 times a year since I don't use it for anything else but Salmon fishing)

Also, sent the display back to have it checked, ect...

I finally decided to just bite the bullet and buy the new display.

All problems went away and I can read bottom temps and speeds with no blinking.

I believe you might have to do the same.

One adjustment I did make is I lowered the transducer and installed it horizontally.

The design of the probe is such that it allows for 15 degree blowback of the ball and has a very wide cone angle.