problem with fishing line getting tangled in downrigger cable

I am repeatedly having trouble with my fishing line getting tangled in my downrigger cables. I use 20# braid for my main line, and Black's downrigger releases. I hope i can make clear what my problem is, so that one of you might troubleshoot it for me. Here's the problem in more detail (it doesn't happen all the time, i'm guessing about 1/3 of the time on Lake O, and much, much less on the fingerlakes):

When i wind up my rigger, my fishing line is still in the release, but the line between the release and my rod is wrapped 20-30 times around the rigger cable - wrapped so many times that if a fish hit, it couldn't release. I know this happened the other day because my 20# flouro leader was broken off and the braid was wrapped around the rigger cable. I can't imagine how this is happening. When i watch my ball a few feet below the surface, it seems to track well. Has anyone had this problem and/or know how to fix it? I wonder if the more powerful currents on Lake O are contributing to this, but i bet most of you don't have this problem.

many thanks,

andre

I would venture a guess..... as you crank up the downrigger ball, the cable and release are spinning, causing the line to wrap around the cable. I also use Blacks releases, and have never had that problem. Are your releases free to spin on the cable, or do you have them crimped on in some way or pinned to the cable so they are static?  My releases spin free around the cable.

I always break my lures free before bringing the rigger ball up.... put the rod back in the holder and let the lure flutter its way up to the surface.... you'll be suprised how many hits you will get as the lure "fishes its way" back to the surface.

Dre,

I've been using Black releases since they were white in color (true) :lol:  over thirty some years and have never had that happen on Lake O or any of the Fingers and Seneca has some strong currents as well. When you say "ball" does it have a guiding fin of any type on it or just a "cannonball" weight? Is the weight spinning on your swivel if you run it at the side of the boat down a few feet with and without the line actually in the release so you can view what is going on? It sure sounds like either the release itself or the ball is spinning and with your main line fixed in the release it is "winding" the upward portion of the line around the wire (braid loved to wind on itself and knot up on spinning rods at least). Strong current might be the ADDED factor to something that is otherwise a "borderline" condition at other times. I also wonder about the release freewheeling somehow while you are lowering the weight rapidly? I let mine down very rapidly compared with many other folks because I don't ever use the down button on my riggers I use the drag/brake and I don't encounter this problem and I also use sliders all the time too. I also have a crimp on the wire located midway between the holes in the release to keep it from going too far up or down.

I never had that happen .  I have been using blacks for a long time,  they were always" black" though. :lol:   I have a swivel on the end of the cable and use the blacks release that has the clip in it to hook onto the weight.   The blacks release is free to spin on that shaft.  I am guessing that your release dosen't spin for some reason and the twisted cable as its let down winds up the line.  Make sure the release is free and the weight is free to turn and track.  If your release is the same as mine and you clip it over the release when hooking on the weight, it won't spin  Not good..

How are you putting the line in the release ? The ball hanging from the downrigger or ball in a ball-holder on the gunnel ? I would get mine twisted on my center rigger of the back of the boat because I pulled the ball in and put it in the holder every time I checked/changed it and got one twist in it as I put it back in the water if I didn't keep a close eye on it.... no issues when using retriever ..............  

is the tip of your rigger rod further out the back of the boat than the rigger cable?  You're not running your rod out the side of the boat in front of the cable, are you?  I've never had this happen.  Short of the release spinning around, I don't know how this could happen.

Edited by Big Water

Thanks to everybody for their replies. I do keep the rod loaded as the ball goes down - perhaps I have too much pressure when I do that. I also let the ball down very quickly - I have manual not electric downrigger's. I never stop or go neutral with my Riggers out. Attached is a photo of my set up and the problem tangle. My booms are 40 inches

my rods are shorter than most - they are 7 feet but I've used them for years and this problem just started happening

My releases swivel very freely around the cable and as I said earlier the downrigger balls appear to track nicely And the tip of my ride is further out and behind the downrigger cable

post-139756-0-42698500-1405954787_thumb.jpg

post-139756-0-47655300-1405954812_thumb.jpg

Hey Dave....surprise! :lol:  Two of the white ones did not come with the center wire I added it because they were used on my first set of outriggers but these are the original Black releases before they added on stuff.

post-145411-0-23566800-1405955757_thumb.jpg

Put another swivel between your release and your ball so that the ball can rotate freely. 

The way it is now if the ball spins at all so does the release because of the upward tension from your line doesn't let it swivel freely.

What part of your line gets tangled? Is it the part between the tip of your rod and the release, or is it the leader to the spoon?

If it's the leader, it could easily be your going down too fast. The leader line ends up vertical and close to the cable. The spoon action twists it around the cable.

Can you release it slower?  You should go down more than 2 or 3 ft per second.

I would bet the issue is the rigger ball.  The ball is not sitting horizontal enough.  With the way the eye hook on the ball is bent, that ball looks like it will spiral down when you drop the ball.  Just a guess but I have seen it before.  Try another rigger weight or bend the eye hook so the ball sits more horizontal. 

How far are you bringing up the ball with your line still in the release?  All the way to the surface, or just up a bit to change lure depth?  I never leave my line in the release if im bringing it all the way to the surface to change out a lure or check to see if its running clean.  Just pop it, let it flutter up while you bring up the ball.  Your ball should not be spinning in circles when its coming up or down.  If it is then you probably have a problem with the swivel being used to attach the ball. 

I use the Scotty Powergrip releases exclusively.  IMO, they are the easiest to use and most reliable. Super easy to tweak grip strength, and less parts that can break on them. 

I changed rigger balls and lowered them more slowly and fished Lake O for 5 hours without a tangle!!!

I went out of sandy creek saturday from 4-9p. Only managed one bite (45' down over 350 fow) on a glow frog - a 20# king.

i wanted to thank everyone again for the helpful advice!!!

dre