Seneca Jigging out of Geneva

Launched today around 7:30,we had fair action most of the day. I landed 3 lake trout from 20-26" and fat fat fat! brown. My buddy landed a sub-legal laker. Lots of action today on the chart as well lots of follows were marked, I lost 2 lakers near the boat, and lots of hits were had. Lakers were taken in 70-90 FOW and the morbidly obese brown was in 55 FOW. All fish were caught on a white jighead with a chartreuse/white fluke. All fish except for one lake trout were released. Besides some rude speed boat operators it was a great day on the water!

post-148029-0-86128900-1405810616_thumb.jpg

post-148029-0-13258400-1405810642_thumb.jpg

post-148029-0-23008700-1405810668_thumb.jpg

post-148029-0-49638500-1405810685_thumb.jpg

post-148029-0-45498000-1405810712_thumb.jpg

Nice job!  That is the kind of sonar screen dreams are made of.  I am wondering.... I have been jigging for 6 years and have yet to catch anything but lakers and a few giant smallmouth.  I've had LL salmon bump the jig boatside but their mouths were always too small.

When you hook up with a brown, is it obvious from the hookset that you have a non-laker on?

Pete

Nice job! That is the kind of sonar screen dreams are made of. I am wondering.... I have been jigging for 6 years and have yet to catch anything but lakers and a few giant smallmouth. I've had LL salmon bump the jig boatside but their mouths were always too small.

When you hook up with a brown, is it obvious from the hookset that you have a non-laker on?

Pete

To be honest the brown was foul hooked in the belly of all places, I think somehow he swiped at the jig and got poked in the belly, so this fish definitely fought much different(very hard), but as for one hooked In the jaw, I really don't know. This is the first time I've ever foul hooked a fishing jigging.

Nice going :yes:  Although the jig and equipment is bigger in this case it happens fairly frequently in ice fishing. The fish is milling around the bait and may bump into the jig and thinking it is a hit you pull on it and whamo you have one hooked in the belly.

Way to go, nice screen as Pete mentions. Can't wait for the next generation Go Pro videos of having the camera down next to the jig to see the actual attack and what it looks like......

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

Nice bonus brown!  That's always fun to hook into something other than a laker.  Pete, yes you can tell the difference, especially the salmon.  They're much faster and and active!  The lakers have very distinctive fights, big ones with their head shakes surges for bottom and smaller ones love rolling in the line.  Don't know if I could really describe it in detail but yes, you can usually tell it's not a laker!