LOU Otisco Walleye Event

Miss em

Posted this again because I didn't think it worked from my laptop.  Guess both are working now.

Great weather, great event.  Great to see all the walleye fisherman out on the lake.  Ended up being a slow day for catching walleyes unfortunately.  Only four walleyes taken between a dozen or so boats.  Biggest fish was 24", 5.2#.  Thanks again Justin for organizing and to the whole gang that helped prepare all the food afterward.  Everything was delicious.

Here is a picture of all the kids that participated with the fish.

post-139696-0-01080900-1405811885_thumb.jpg

Here are the rigs that worked for us.  Plug was on three color core.  Spoons were on 14 foot long cheaters set three feet above the main release.  Cheater leaders are 8# mono with coastlock snaps.  Rigger balls were parked at 60 degree water.

post-139696-0-18808300-1405812049_thumb.jpg

Edited by Miss em

Jeff won with a 5 pounder $154 and Pete Rajner came second with a 3 pounder for $64. It was a 3 way in the walleye scallop eating contest between Hermit, Jeff's daughter and Matt who was cooking them. I think i woulda given Matt the win, but he had unfair access!!!! I want to add that I appreciate the courtesy everyone gave eachother on the lake. Only trouble I had was a local that has no respect for anyone else that I really need to have a chat with, but wont....Congrats Miss em and Pete.

Forgot to do my fishing report. Matt and I ran 2 riggers with the same spoons as jeff won with fishing the same temps...nothing but a few browns. We ran a variety of deep divers in perch and alewive patterns that yielded a smb and a really spirited upper 30's tiger on a red stinger ran 3 way with a red tiger TDD 11. The tiger hit it in the prop wash when Matt was laying the line very slowly to avoid a tangle on the 3way. Just about jerked the rod out of his hand....speed was about 3 at the probe. Water temp dropped into the low seventies from a high of 82 10days ago. Clarity is improved not that is a good thing for eyes. Last night Hermit, Matt n I finished with 12 bass with 3 between 19 n 20 inches. Weeds are tough trolling, but doable with clip weights used. as weed guards. Id forget walleye trolling till the reports improve.

DEC spent a lot of time with a few of us explaining stocking protocols. We asked a ton of questions and left feeling good. Im not gonna try to paraphrase a 2 hour talk but i will announce the full lake study is still on in august. I volunteered to help and look forward to seeing some data. Recently i caught a few extremely small browns and should hear from the DEC soon as to what size the smallest stockies are...be great to find reproduction.

DEC spent a lot of time with a few of us explaining stocking protocols. We asked a ton of questions and left feeling good. Im not gonna try to paraphrase a 2 hour talk but i will announce the full lake study is still on in august. I volunteered to help and look forward to seeing some data. Recently i caught a few extremely small browns and should hear from the DEC soon as to what size the smallest stockies are...be great to find reproduction.

Not sure on your lake but on Seneca they put them in 8" in May.............. thanks for the update guys good to hear everyone had a fun time !!!!!

Big thanks to Justin for putting on the event, and both Justin and Tracy for being wonderful hosts over the weekend!  It was great meeting a bunch of LOUers and starting to learn how to catch walleye.  The picnic/DEC meeting was fun and informative also.  Okay fishing report:

Friday afternoon arrive, set up camp, launch boat and set off to learn the lake a bit.  Fished 3 hours.   Lots of marks, put lures in front of them.  No bites- story of the weekend!  Saturday managed to avoid the bigger weed areas and felt more like I knew what I was doing out there, but never hooked up.  It was a great day to be fishing however.  

Went back out with Justin and Matt looking for the night bite, he put us right on a pile of fish but all we connected with were bass.  Good surface action but the lake was pretty flat and it was easy to see our lures as fakes I guess.   Hey it was action! Took a 2 hr nap, broke camp and was home by 9 AM for a full and groggy day with family yesterday.  

Overall it was a great weekend with fun but slow fishing.  This was (unfortunately!!) the first time I've had my own boat out all year due to tow vehicle and health problems, and it felt SO GOOD to fire that motor up on the second pull and head out into the lake.   Can't wait to get back on Cayuga again.  And Otisco… can't leave a job unfinished!  15 hrs of fishing over the weekend and no eyes just makes me more determined.  My girlfriend said I'm special when I told her that. I'll be back in a few weeks for sure, great little lake that suits my little boat just fine.  

Thanks again J + T for hosting, and it was fun meeting you all!  Congrats to Miss Em and Pete for catching walleye, nice going on a tough day.  Thanks to everyone who gave me tips for next time too, I'm excited about learning to catch a new species.  Later all and happy fishing!

Had a great time and got to meet some great folks. Thanks justin for putting on the event my wife and boys had a great time. I'll be watching for your post for next year to make reservations agian. I love having Mondays off, I'm on red lake now and have seen 2 bald eagles,2 deer and I just watched a plane bringing some troops home fly over. And the 23 incher I just box isn't bad either. Good fishing and take care.

Definitely had a great time and had some great food with some great people. I thought the DEC presence was a bonus and it was good to have informal conversation with him and get answers and clarification as to why things happen the way they do.

Just a couple of nice smallies for Dad and I with a half dozen releases on the rigger and planers with nobody home.

I'm looking forward to future events like this!

It was great to meet everyone!

Tim

Way to go guys and and girls, this is a great thing, my hats off to JT for being a wonderful host and doing a lot of leg work to pull this off with great success!!! I wish I could of been there but there always next year I hope?? congrats to the winner, but I truly believe there wasn't any losers, those that made it and participated in the event are all winners in my book. Great job by everyone. I'm sure this will be a hot topic amongst all who attended. Tight lines to all and be safe at what ever your doing. PAP

You are all very welcome! Next year we will make it bigger and better for sure. ld love to get a series of events if anyone else would like to host one. No reason trout guys should have all the fun. We will also be having a family derby here next year for the weekend of the bass opener. Ryfuns, owners of the campground, have asked me to run it. Plans include entertainment under the pavillion, cash prizes for lmb, smb, walleye, tigers, and browns. The lake used to have a similar event. Just something to keep in mind. There has also been talk of a labor day event too. Will keep everyone posted.

Hit the wrong button. ..Ed, in the past they were stocked at 12 plus inches and the size limit was dropped to 12 inches in hopes of utilizing the stocked fish as they dont always live long here due to oxygen depletion in. the cold water. I caught a 4 and 6 incher this weekend....never caught even 1 under 12 in three seasons. Ive no idea how many browns we have caught, but its way over 100 last year alone. Most all released and NOT handled.

We had a really great time

Nice lake and the campground was nice.

It was fun to talk walleye fishing with everyone.

We fished pretty hard and caught a lot of other fish. Learned a lot on my techniques.

Things we tried, flatline, small planer boards with long body deep divers in various colors. Dipsey diver with rapelas in various colors. Work harness, Hot n Tots, Shad Raps. About the only thing we did not try was jigging.

I really like to look at other boats to see how they have them rigged. Not sure i will have as many rod holds on my boat as Justin has. That is nice fishin/trolling platform.

We ate pretty good, lots of good food.

We will be back again, maybe later this summer or September

If the event is held again next summer, I want to make sure that we are signed up.

Already making minor changes to my trolling setup based on talking to Justin and a few others. Thanks for the tips and ideas.

Thanks

Jay and Deb

I enjoyed camping right across from the launch. Interesting to see folks launch their boats and have some trouble. I thought that it was interesting to see people tie up after putting their boats in water so no one else can put their boat in water. There is a reason that the dock is really long.

The dry erase boards on the decks was a nice touch for scoring the boat launches.

Sounds like one and all had a great time on Otisco. Perhaps we could try one on the St. Lawrence sometime. Plenty of state campgrounds that are available and plenty of fish with decent numbers and size if they choose to cooperate. Unfortunately that's one variable that can't be controlled.

Jay,

You and anyone wishing to return for next years event will have a spot for sure. We look forward to having you and your family in our front yard anytime! Its amazing how many boaters dont tie up at further down the dock....its plenty long! Ryfuns provide someone to "direct" launch traffic when its busy, but it was slow this weekend. We have a fun bunch here and we definitely enjoy. watching the launch!

Kevin,

You have a wealth of locations up there and team JTT would love a rematch with the St Lawrence....it kicked my butt 2 years ago! My dad has a place i built him off the number 4 road in Adk and I love the country up there. As far as fish cooperating goes thats the fun of walleye fishing. Its all about the challenge....i wouldnt want it any other way!